Is this what the Leafs desperately lack ?

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

The 42 year old captain of the Bruins steps up against one of the toughest guys in the league who is 15 years younger than him . How important is this to the team ? Or is it a factor at all ? Forget about the fact that Chara stepped up in a fighting situation - the question is do the Leafs lack the compete level necessary to go all the way ?

Last edited:
Reactions: frog

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Physicality is a huge issue with the team. But the Naysayers will continue to plead that Physicality has nothing to do with winning and losing.

So, essentially...Im gonna wait it out again until the playoffs to see how we respond.

Because if we somehow lose the Bruins again...then be prepared for this topic to be brought up every week in the off-season until we address it

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Not gonna lie...Its gonna be tough to watch Hainsey and Gardiner try to pokecheck the puck away in every board battle.

I bet the Bruins forwards laugh when they See those 2 on the ice

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Physicality is a huge issue with the team. But the Naysayers will continue to plead that Physicality has nothing to do with winning and losing.

So, essentially...Im gonna wait it out again until the playoffs to see how we respond.

Because if somehow lose the Bruins again...then be prepared for this topic to be brought up every week in the off-season until we address it

Anyone who's played the game beyond the house league level knows how important it is to never to be intimidated by the opposition. This isn't rocket science. The tone that Chara sets by standing up to Kane is huge for the rest of the team.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
No team had ever won a cup without a decent amount of physicality in their lineup. If anything the Leafs have been an example of why it won't work so far this season.

But I think they're lacking in their playstyle more than their personnel. There is no reason Auston Matthews should be having a harder time than Brad Marchand dealing with playoff style hockey. He has 6 inches and 40 lbs on him.

Reactions: Cobra777 and jwalk

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Another thread to ignore.

If Boston beats us again in the 1st round, you’re probably going to have to ignore the media and this entire board then too. Because you know that’s all that both parties will be talking about until the time Dubas addresses it. Lol.

Reactions: Cobra777

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada

The 42 year old captain of the Bruins steps up against one of the toughest guys in the league who is 15 years younger than him . How important is this to the team ? Or is it a factor at all ? Forget about the fact that Chara stepped up in a fighting situation - the question is do the Leafs lack the compete level necessary to go all the way ?

This isn't WHAT we need but it would be nice to have a ROCK like that. Unfortunately 30 other teams don't have a player of Chara s quality mixed with his insane size and ability to embarrass players when needed. So let's get past that and just focus on finishing checks in the right spots, pressure heavier on the puck (not sure if that's in our MO) and don't back down in scrums, physical challenges etc. They hammer our guys we should be going back and letting them know that's not going to be unnoticed.

Reactions: meng666

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
By repeatedly folding in physical playoff style games. It's why they're rarely talked about as contenders anymore by NHL analysts.

Guess there haven't been too many of those then. The numbers don't really support your claim.

I'm not terribly concerned with what NHL analysts think. Most of them are little better than messageboard posters.

Reactions: Loosie

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I remember the playoff series we had years ago vs Boston... I enjoyed watching Orr run Chara every shift he had the opportunity to do so. I think Chara clutched up every time he went back for the puck.

Sure we lost that series in spectacular fashion... but we had no business getting to that 7th game on paper anyways.

I think putting that fear into defenders heads that they may be hit at any moment, is important but then again I may be wrong.

I'm curious to see how the boys with 2 playoff series under their belts perform this postseason.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Guess there haven't been too many of those then. The numbers don't really support your claim.

I'm not terribly concerned with what NHL analysts think. Most of them are little better than messageboard posters.

The President's Trophy winner rarely wins the Stanley Cup. So the amazing accomplishment of 3rd most wins in the regular season is pretty much worthless come playoffs and doesn't really support your claim that they will be a good playoff team. That is what you're claiming?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Huh? Stepped up? He was jumped. And HE'S one of the toughest guys in the league. Giving him a little bit too much credit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad