Is this what the Leafs desperately lack ?

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
What the leafs desperately need is... desperation. They don't play with enough urgency and consistency. They play down to the level of their opponents, they don't put in a 60 minute effort. The game is played on the ice with the puck, throwing fists or hits don't really matter to me; what matters to me is compete and you don't need to hit and fight to do that.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

The 42 year old captain of the Bruins steps up against one of the toughest guys in the league who is 15 years younger than him . How important is this to the team ? Or is it a factor at all ? Forget about the fact that Chara stepped up in a fighting situation - the question is do the Leafs lack the compete level necessary to go all the way ?

absolutely, 100% they lack the compete level necessary.

Just wait until April, and you will find out just how lacking they are. They *might* win a round or 2 but they are not equipped to go any deeper when push comes to shove. This team is a bunch of talented, high-skilled p***ycats. That's the problem and it will become very evident very soon.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The President's Trophy winner rarely wins the Stanley Cup. So the amazing accomplishment of 3rd most wins in the regular season is pretty much worthless come playoffs and doesn't really support your claim that they will be a good playoff team. That is what you're claiming?

You said this:

If anything the Leafs have been an example of why it won't work so far this season.

I'm asking you what the hell that means? how is the season they've had an "example" of anything of the sort?

then you said they have repeatedly folded in physical playoff style games this season. I then commented such games couldn't have been all that numerous, since the Leafs are a top 5 NHL team and have been virtually all year.

are we clear on what I've "claimed" now?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No team had ever won a cup without a decent amount of physicality in their lineup. . .
We're the 2015-16 and 2016-17 Penguins the kind of physical cup champions you have in mind?

If so, which players stood out for you on that measure?

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004

The 42 year old captain of the Bruins steps up against one of the toughest guys in the league who is 15 years younger than him . How important is this to the team ? Or is it a factor at all ? Forget about the fact that Chara stepped up in a fighting situation - the question is do the Leafs lack the compete level necessary to go all the way ?

Yes,

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
What the leafs desperately need is... desperation. They don't play with enough urgency and consistency. They play down to the level of their opponents, they don't put in a 60 minute effort. The game is played on the ice with the puck, throwing fists or hits don't really matter to me; what matters to me is compete and you don't need to hit and fight to do that.
In the National Hockey League you need to hit and not be intimidated by getting hit. Matthews in particular for such a big frame is a master of the fly by

Reactions: dsred

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
You said this:

I'm asking you what the hell that means? how is the season they've had an "example" of anything of the sort?

then you said they have repeatedly folded in physical playoff style games this season. I then commented such games couldn't have been all that numerous, since the Leafs are a top 5 NHL team and have been virtually all year.

are we clear on what I've "claimed" now?

I said the Leaf's play this season has done more to disprove the idea that skill alone can have playoff success than prove it.

You replied "How's that? by putting up a top 3 win total?", that implies that you disagree with what i said and you think them being top 3 in wins is evidence against it. If you don't think their regular season win total is an indicator of post season success, then why bring it up?

Also there is a huge difference between solid regular seasson teams and championship teams. More than half the teams in the NHL make the first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: Cobra777 and dsred

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Chara really didn't "step up" for this fight. He got jumped and had to defend himself.

So yes if our guys get jumped we do need our guys to defend themselves.

Chara has two fights this year and didn't initiate either. He's getting old. He relies on positioning more than anything these days. Doesn't hit much either because he can't get caught and recover now if he misses.

People really need to stop creating that narrative that the Bruins are big and tough.

They're one of the smallest teams in the league and play an average physical game.

They're extremely skilled and thats how they win games...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The Leafs need more guys like Kane that step up after the cheap shot by Chara. They need guys like Backes that will do anything to win.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have more of a problem with no one stepping up for Dermott. Let's just say I wish we could have a Tom Wilson in the lineup.

Dermott, Freddy, and maybe the best example, McAvoy on Marner.
Chara really didn't "step up" for this fight. He got jumped and had to defend himself.

Chara has two fights this year and didn't initiate either. He's getting old. He relies on positioning more than anything these days. Doesn't hit much either because he can't get caught and recover now if he misses.

People really need to stop creating that narrative that the Bruins are big and tough.

They're one of the smallest teams in the league and play an average physical game.

He elbowed Kane in the head.
I thought the Zaitsev elbow on Matthew Tkachuk was similar and was really disappointed when he didn’t drop the gloves on Zaitsev.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I don't care if the mitts get dropped but ffs we need some aggression out there. Or compete or whatever u want to call it. Someone makes a dirty hit on our players or bumps the goalie or any number of things that go uncontested now makes me ill. No need to draw a roughing penalty every time but do something. Anything. Take hits to make plays if needed. Take the body when required instead of poke checks. I really miss old hockey.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Umm Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, Hagglin, Bonino even Kessel is a thick guy that can handle physical play.

Can you imagine if Marner had Crosby’s body and the Leafs had a guy with the skill and size of Malkin that would carve your eyes out?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't care if the mitts get dropped but ffs we need some aggression out there. Or compete or whatever u want to call it. Someone makes a dirty hit on our players or bumps the goalie or any number of things that go uncontested now makes me ill. No need to draw a roughing penalty every time but do something. Anything. Take hits to make plays if needed. Take the body when required instead of poke checks. I really miss old hockey.

The rest of the League doesn’t play like that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Huh? Stepped up? He was jumped. And HE'S one of the toughest guys in the league. Giving him a little bit too much credit here.
He asked Kane to fight several times after going after a kid. Then he punished him with checks after this until Kane jumped him.

Yes he stepped up he is a old man and still knocked Kane around. To answer the op yes we could use this.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Dermott, Freddy, and maybe the best example, McAvoy on Marner.

He elbowed Kane in the head.
I thought the Zaitsev elbow on Matthew Tkachuk was similar and was really disappointed when he didn’t drop the gloves on Zaitsev.
My point was that he wouldn't have fought Kane if he didn't have too. He just doesn't engage anymore. He's had lots of guys want/try to fight him but he wants no part of it these days.

If he did I'm sure he'd still drop a few guys but he only fights when he has no choice now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Exactly. Heck, they probably won’t even beat the Leafs, but barring major injuries, I can’t see them beating TB.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Guess there haven't been too many of those then. The numbers don't really support your claim.

I'm not terribly concerned with what NHL analysts think. Most of them are little better than messageboard posters.
Lol you know a timble full of what a past NHL player knows if that.

Teams need to be able to accept physical play and give it back if they are to win in the playoffs. What is called a penalty in the regular season is let go in the playoffs.

Like I have stated many times we can win in the playoffs but only if we do not run away like several of our better players did last year. Hell we had two players visibly slow down for fear that they would get to the puck first many many times against the Bruins and despite getting their second chose to jab at the puck as they skated pass the player.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My point was that he wouldn't have fought Kane if he didn't have too. He just doesn't engage anymore. He's had lots of guys want/try to fight him but he wants no part of it these days.

If he did I'm sure he'd still drop a few guys but he only fights when he has no choice now.

We all know that. The point is, Kane didn’t the take the elbow lying down. Maybe Kane should have two handed him in the back of the knee or wrist, but he didn’t because it’s too close playoff style. He stepped up to show his teammates he means business.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
We had Matt Martin who had a higher points per minute then Nylander does this season.
Fans complain Martin is on the team and is useless or fans complain the team isn't tough enough.
If the Leafs had Gretzky, fans would complain he didn't fight like Tiger Williams.

Right now Moore 3.61 pt/60, Petan 3.40 pt/60, Ennis 2.44 pt/60 are scoring at Evgeni Malkin, Sebastian Aho, Patrik Laine rates.
Maybe if we look at the reality, it's not that someone like Matt Martin wouldn't be nice, but he's getting paid $2.5 million,
while Moore, Petan, and Ennis combine for $2.4.

Reality is, the team isn't losing guys like Komarov and Martin because they couldn't be used for their specialized roles,
it's because we couldn't afford them. Toughness? Defensive shut-down? These are valuable assets that a team like
Islanders cannot only appreciate... but afford. The Leafs are exploiting water-bugs because the market has
overlooked their value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad