Is this the year Draisaitl “Malkin’s” McDavid’s Crosby?

Is this the year?

• Total voters

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Are we getting ahead of ourselves? Drai had one good game by himself this year. He was far from impressive by himself without Mcdavid last year... at least consistently. I hope the heck that changes this year and he can be a great player game in game out without Connor on his line but we'll see. Things look pretty decent for him after game one, i'll say that.

That being said, if Drai can get on a roll and really build on it through the season i could see him having that Malkin vs an injured Crosby type year. It was obvious Connor was far from 100% despite the goal in game 1. I saw this from training camp.... he definitely did not look the same... i'm honestly not sure what the heck media and other people saw when they said he was looking 100% like himself skating wise. His foot work is definitely slower with odd bambi like moments (relative to his own 100% skating), he's stride power and crossovers are notably weaker, and you can see it in his confidence and mentality that he's not winding it up with the puck... he knows he doesn't quite have that power and burst he used to to fly by people. Hopefully he improves quickly but this knee thing could plague him the entire year at the very least. And very likely he'll never be the same as he could have been without the injury. (F U Gio). But even if the knee isn't the same he'll hopefully get used to it being that way and adjust and get confidence in it's sturdiness and still be close to what he was.

In a way, a bit of potential good can come from it being that if Connor isn't his otherworldly self for a while, that others will now feel greater urgency to step up (Nuge, Drai etc). Even guys in the bottom 6. Maybe this triggers greater scoring depth somehow. I felt the other guys get a bit too complacent watching Connor's dominance and might not quite have that same urgency to produce. We'll see, hopefully guys step up and hopefully Connor is back consistently doing Connor things in a short time.

Reactions: moropanov

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
If we ever make it back to the playoffs Drai will be our best player again, I am confident in that. He can absolutely take over when he uses his size. Poor Quinn Hughes couldn't touch him last game. He's really got that Malkin combination of size and skill that makes life very very difficult for the other team. Plus he can backhand sauce across half the ice surface tape to tape to set up Connor for a breakaway.

Reactions: The Oiler

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Love Draisaitl but Malkin like Crosby and McDavid is an all-time great.

Don’t think draisaitl will get to that level but he keeps getting better so you never know.

It is interesting that they seem to get reunited when McDavid is struggling more than vice versa.
¨
I think Draisaitl has the chance to get more points than McDavid. I think if he gets pushed and challanged, he will. He is that good.

Reactions: GreeningOil

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
McDavid is Batman.

Draisaitl is Robin.

Draisaitl will need to carry the team in a prolonged McDavid absence or center his own line with limited time with Connor & still score 35 & 80 for me to even think he is on McDavid's level. He's just not.

BTW calling him Robin isn't a diss in any way. Every team NEEDS a Robin & Robin is very good & signed for 8.5M/year is a bargain compared to what Toronto signed their Robin for.

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
Draisatl isn't Malkin.

Draisatl is Messier.

I'm surprised this comparison isn't made more often, actually. But maybe we all got burned from the Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak are Mess, Kurri, Gretz, Anderson days. Woof.

Anyway. McDavid, like Gretzky, is indisputably the better player. But both guys also had the luxury of having their team 's entire offensive scheme tailored to their strengths and preferences. Steady linemates, the choice roles on powerplays, etc. And there's nothing wrong with that. When you have a Maserati, you don't take it off-roading. You put it on the racetrack and let it do its thing.

But that leaves Drai, like Mess, to take whatever's left over. Fortunately, Drai, like Mess, has both the inclination and the ability to excel with whatever table scraps come his way.

Opening night is a great example. When the third-line center can't go, its Drai, not McDavid, who gets loaded up with extra minutes. Its Draisatl who's asked to be a scoring winger one minute then a third-line center next. PP second-fiddle to McDavid? Done. Drive your own scoring line? Done. Carry the puck and set up Kassian? Done. Play triggerman for McDavid? Done. Faceoffs? Done. Lean on a big defenseman and drive to the net? Done. Finesse the give and go with the world's best and fastest player? Done.

If McDavid's a maserati, Draisatl is some kind of military transport that can do 150 down the highway then jump the guardrail and off-road through a river valley. He's the team's swiss army knife and, as much as McDavid makes him better, he also makes McDavid better by soaking up a variety of roles and situations, allowing McDavid the freedom to do McDavid things.

* I know Draisatl is not as physical and as vicious as Messier was, but no one is now so I don't think it invalidates the comparison. Messier woud be arrested today.

** I find it weird when I hear fans complain about Draisatl looking unhappy all the time. I don't see it that way at all. I see a swagger and a focus that does remind me of Messier. I think Draisatl is the kind of player that's haply lifting the Cup and that's about it. I know things are looked at differently by the Instagram generation but, as a fan that wants to eventually see this team win something, I couldn't be happier with how he carries himself.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yes he is. He brings it when its needed, and he brings it more consitent than Malkin, and a bit more than McDavid. I would pick Draisaitl over Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad