Is this the year Draisaitl “Malkin’s” McDavid’s Crosby?

Is this the year?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bonus points if you can understand the thread title and know what I’m asking without reading further.

There were some years where Malkin became the temporary best player on the Pens due to lingering injuries to Crosby or years where Malkin just put up more points.

Will it happen to Drai this year?

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Bonus points if you can understand the thread title and know what I’m asking without reading further.

There were some years where Malkin became the temporary best player on the Pens due to lingering injuries to Crosby or years where Malkin just put up more points.

Will it happen to Drai this year?

If McDavid goes down early again sure, but I think it would take a major injury for that to happen.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Remember when people used to laugh at the Draisaitl and Malkin comparisons? They not laughing so much anymore

Reactions: TFHockey

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I've given it some thought and one could even say Drai was as good as McD last season, and EV, they were pretty much equal, and McD see's better linemates when the two are separated. Then factor in that goals are huge and Drai scored 10 more.

Drai is cerebrally the better player with better on ice vision. McD is the guy with the crazy added extra gears that can just pump cheatcode speed and turn nothing into something. Very different kinds of players despite them playing so well together. Hard to compare.

But Drai thinks the game about as good as anybody can expect. probably some of that due to his father being a pro hockey coach. McD has more work to do on decisions despite that people usually blame Drai when anything goes wrong. McD is making more mid ice turnovers despite Drai being the one that is really directing traffic and working the breakouts and transition a lot. Drai sure has the puck on his stick more.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I think it has already begun with the first signs of it as McDavid is not playing at 100%. Draisaitl was the main factor we got game 1.
Btw the thread title should be marked NSFW, just filthy.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've given it some thought and one could even say Drai was as good as McD last season, and EV, they were pretty much equal, and McD see's better linemates when the two are separated. Then factor in that goals are huge and Drai scored 10 more.

Drai is cerebrally the better player with better on ice vision. McD is the guy with the crazy added extra gears that can just pump cheatcode speed and turn nothing into something. Very different kinds of players despite them playing so well together. Hard to compare.

But Drai thinks the game about as good as anybody can expect. probably some of that due to his father being a pro hockey coach. McD has more work to do on decisions despite that people usually blame Drai when anything goes wrong. McD is making more mid ice turnovers despite Drai being the one that is really directing traffic and working the breakouts and transition a lot. Drai sure has the puck on his stick more.

You need to exercise your HF constitutional right and vote. ;)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I put no. That's because I will just consider Drai McDavid's Drai. Or vice versa. I'm not crazy about comparing players of this stature, all the named players included.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't think Draisaitl realizes how good he can be.
I actually disagree here. The way he takes the puck and rushes up alone and doesn't turn to see if McDavid is there(when they were on the line together everyone once in a while), which he was doing before is showing that.

I think he's realizing his potential entirely here.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Definitely possible. Draisaitl is criminally underrated around the league. Another thing I hate is our media always blabbering on asking our players about how they like to play with McDavid, why not ask about Drai???

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Draisaitl is one of the greatest... McDavid is the next one... and GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

They are compliments to each other, rank does not matter. We are ALL better for being able to watch this duo. End of discussion. GOILERS... GONHL

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It could happen, but I feel like Drai has games where he's insanely dominant like this last game where he's as good, or perhaps even better than mcdavid in his good games, but if he has an off game it's usually worse than Mcdavid on an off night. I feel like this is due to his size and how much more effort it requires to play the physical game he plays, which puts him at a disadvantage when it comes to comparing off games with someone like Mcdavid.

Obviously no player is perfect, but I think when Connor has an off game, he's more effective than Drai on an off game, and when they're at the very top of their game, I think they're neck and neck. So in my opinion, Drai needs to have more good games than Connor for him to "Malkin" Mcdavid in any given season and Connor tends to not have many bad games, so it could prove challenging but it's absolutely possible, especially with Mcdavid coming back from a long injury.

Also before anyone jumps down my throat, I absolutely don't think Drai is ever bad, because even at his worst he's still a top player in the league, I just think his falloff between great and average or bad game is bigger than Mcdavids.

This is just what I've observed over the last few seasons.

Reactions: Oilers 322

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl is one of the greatest... McDavid is the next one... and GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

They are compliments to each other, rank does not matter. We are ALL better for being able to watch this duo. End of discussion. GOILERS... GONHL

bDACMHq.jpg

Salty over another ass whupping from Colorado there Toddy?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Love Draisaitl but Malkin like Crosby and McDavid is an all-time great.

Don’t think draisaitl will get to that level but he keeps getting better so you never know.

It is interesting that they seem to get reunited when McDavid is struggling more than vice versa.

o98

Feb 26, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta
No, but Draisaitl is gonna have a fantastic year, and shake off any of this McDavid's shadow bullshit. 1 and 2 in scoring isn't out of the question.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No, because McDavid is going to play all 82 regular season games and won't get the chance to play that role. Simple as that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Remember when people used to laugh at the Draisaitl and Malkin comparisons? They not laughing so much anymore
As an anti-Leaf fan I find it even funnier that some used to say Mathews was as good as McDavid, maybe even better, when in reality he’s not even as good as Draisaitl. That’s just me though.

Reactions: MessierII

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Leon will be a better goal scorer than Malkin. Drai has a very underrated one timer too. His faceoffs are even getting better despite him being good on the dot already. Drai is the full package and we are lucky to have two of the best players in the world on the same team. Once some of the defense prospects take a step, this will be a championship team. McDrai are their own tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->