Is this the new 2013-14 for Karlsson?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Only time I can recall such a bad +\- from EK was in 13-14 right after his achilles tendon. I know that stat is usually suspect but I get the impression that EK, both times coming back from a serious injury, want's to become his "normal dynamic self" so badly that he sacrifices some defense along the way?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's clearly still hurting. If sitting will speed up the recovery, he should do it imo.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Only he and the training staff know how bad his foot is. I understand not wanting to rest him now because of the injuries to Boro and Wideman but hopefully at some point this season he can sit for a few games in a row if the team is in a good position in the standings. Or, on the other hand, if they aren't, a healthy Karlsson to start 18-19 is more important than anything.

I don't think he's being "lazy" and I don't think he is purposely doing anything differently. The difference is that he physically can't do what he was doing last year. He's chasing the play more because his skating isn't allowing him to turn pucks over, get to loose pucks as quickly, and get as many point shots through using his lateral mobility. He's hesitating and unsure a lot more because he's fighting between playing it safe and being the play driver that the team needs to be. At least that's my take.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Because he really made a difference these last 4 games? Team was actually playing far better to start the year without him; they didn't expect him to carry them and played like they were desperate. We need that back.
Yeah when we had Turris

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is why I'm not a fan of constant shot-blocking.

I get that thas to happen and the team must "pay the price", but it takes a toll when you're at the top of the league for shots blocked. We've had a lot of injuries from blocked shots (Karlsson, Ryan, White).

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's not like the team took a nosedive right when Karlsson came back. The Montreal game was obviously terrible for him and the team, but he had a good game vs Detroit after that. Since then he hasn't played a "Karlsson" game. He's not once played to the standard of early 15-17 playoffs, but that was expected.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Are you suggesting Turris was the reason we played better to start the year? It was Brassard's line that had the hot start not Turris'.
But that doesn't confirm my emotioooooons!!

I agree with your earlier point, Mickle - we are relying on him to do too much which is a bad trend even if he is healthy. Our top players need to realize that they are just as important when Karl is in the lineup.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think any time a player undergoes off season surgery spends a large portion of the offseason rehabbing said injury, a drop off in play should be expected, especially in the case of lower body injures. I'm sure he will progress as the season does, the question is how quickly he can get back to his usual form.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
+/- is super, super irrelevant. It has no real predictive value from one game to the next or from one season to the next. We are getting a ton more shot attempts with Karlsson on the ice, and he's clearly our best player. Him being off a little is bad, but manageable if we play within ourselves.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are you suggesting Turris was the reason we played better to start the year? It was Brassard's line that had the hot start not Turris'.
he's not suggesting anything. just a poster that seemingly always finds something to comment negatively on.

Duchene /Turris is the new Zibby / Brassard, this year's Ceci sucks, another notch in the PD is clueless gun

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's obvious watching his paly that his ankle is nowhere near ready. He barely has any mobility out there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is why I'm not a fan of constant shot-blocking.

I get that thas to happen and the team must "pay the price", but it takes a toll when you're at the top of the league for shots blocked. We've had a lot of injuries from blocked shots (Karlsson, Ryan, White).

Ryan's injury came off friendly fire didn't it?

Besides, typically, the blocked shots that injure guys are the ones where they are scrambling to get in the way because they were out of position (se white's injury), not the ones where the forwards take away space from the point shot and in bounces off their shin pads (see all those breakaways caused by Karlsson firing it off some forwards shin pads this year when there was no lane for the shot, but he tried to force it anyways).

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ryan's injury came off friendly fire didn't it?

Besides, typically, the blocked shots that injure guys are the ones where they are scrambling to get in the way because they were out of position (se white's injury), not the ones where the forwards take away space from the point shot and in bounces off their shin pads (see all those breakaways caused by Karlsson firing it off some forwards shin pads this year when there was no lane for the shot, but he tried to force it anyways).
The reason Ryan gets hurt is because he is standing still.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I think he wants to check out of the Hotel Melnyk, who is an embarrassment to NHL ownership.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think so. It came from a point shot.
I thought it was him going to the net, and one of our D firing it (Wideman I think). Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Just looked it up: This year, it was a shot from the leafs player, last year it was friendly fire going to the net

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO if he progresses it will be because a... he shoots his ankle up to manage the pain , risking more damage, or b.. he gets more used to his more limited power and mobility in his skating. IMO he came back too soon for his own good, and ultimately for the team's good in the long run.. If it can help him by resting it , he should .. I think with the severity of the injury he could have taken 2 more solid months of rehab before coming back.,,... I could be totally out to lunch on this but If I am imo it points to a new normal for EK that is not what we have been used to . I am sure when the team gets rolling again, he will collect his share of points, but he can do that while being restricted, which speaks to his great hands. agility and smarts. There have been many times he would have out skated the opposition to pucks he has let them have this year... He has been walked more than I can remember as well.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Maybe this is the way Karlsson will be from now on. I say this, because he seems to be getting worst not better with time. You would think the extended time off during the Sweden trip would do some kind of trick. But it didn't. Maybe this the new Karlsson. The human Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad