Player Discussion Is this the end for Klefbom?

Will Klefbom retire?

• Total voters

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Too bad.. I was secretly hoping Klef would come back for a playoff run. He still looks in great shape

Reactions: Mr Positive

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Seems to do just fine…
Playing Padel in my hometown. Rumors saying he has zero interest playing hockey. Just cash in contract money, playing padel, fishing and hanging with friends.

I know many of you view my sources as moot--but they tell me that at the NHL level he is done. When his contract is done--he is heading back to Farjestad.

I think Klefbom has been done with pro sports for a long time based off what I understand his condition to be.

Is anyone suggesting he will be playing any competitive sport post contract?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think Klefbom has been done with pro sports for a long time based off what I understand his condition to be.

Is anyone suggesting he will be playing any competitive sport post contract?

Some role with Farjestad. One version I keep hearing is that they are having quality of life conversations with him but I am also hearing that it is the physical nature of the NHL game that has taken the toll on his body

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really bummed about all of this, Klefbom has been one of my favorite Oilers since I became an Oilers fan pretty much. Him, McDavid and Draisaitl would be my top3. Really good and mostly underrated defender that was great when healthy. Never truly elite but a damn solid top pair guy at his peak.

Anyway not worth jeopardizing your health long-term just to try and play. He's made some good money regardless. I could see him being a pretty solid development coach or some kind of advisor for Färjestad if he wanted to go that route.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Some role with Farjestad. One version I keep hearing is that they are having quality of life conversations with him but I am also hearing that it is the physical nature of the NHL game that has taken the toll on his body

That would be a big mistake from my understanding of his condition and could make life in his 50's and 60's unbearable.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That would be a big mistake from my understanding of his condition and could make life in his 50's and 60's unbearable.

Like I said. Two stories i am hearing

1 he is done with hockey. Quality of life issue.
2 is it just the NHL and international level he is done with.

My guess either way he goes back to his home club after his contract is done

Reactions: Aerchon

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I find it shocking Klefbom only played 378 regular season games

when a dman retires at 26, you’re really not going to get many games in.

It really is bad luck for both us and him. Has a top pairing dman/top line forward ever been forced to retire in their mid 20s before this? Lindros is the poster child for injuries ruining a career, and he still made it to 34.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see him return. Odds seem bad, but hes active and doing a sport that seems like great therapy for his shoulders. The other info is second hand and might not say the whole picture

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I could see him return. Odds seem bad, but hes active and doing a sport that seems like great therapy for his shoulders. The other info is second hand and might not say the whole picture
I think he's done or there would be many stories of him trying to get in shape to return to the NHL or professional hockey.

Reactions: McOilers97

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think he's done or there would be many stories of him trying to get in shape to return to the NHL or professional hockey.
Apparently he cannot. There was an article out some weeks ago where his agent said that they are not in a position to test his shoulder yet. They just know that the doctors were happy with how the surgery went, but no one will know until it is tested proper conditions (not by playing padel). Klefbom himself said that he won't make any decision on his future career before the rehabilitation is over, but that he would like to play hockey again.

Reactions: yukoner88

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Apparently he cannot. There was an article out some weeks ago where his agent said that they are not in a position to test his shoulder yet. They just know that the doctors were happy with how the surgery went, but no one will know until it is tested proper conditions (not by playing padel). Klefbom himself said that he won't make any decision on his future career before the rehabilitation is over, but that he would like to play hockey again.
I still say he could return based off that. I don't think its likely either but medical opinions seem to often understate chances just to cover themselves if it doesn't work out, and its better to make people like us fans just be pessimistic about it and assume he's just done. I wouldnt want him to come back if it hurt his playing career, but we are talking many months away, where things could change

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i want him to do whats best for him and his family.

if we get to see him play for the oilers again we are lucky. If we dont i hope the damage isnt too bad that he cant live the rest of his life healthy.

but lets not lie and say Klefbom > russell or koekkoek isnt ideal on that 3rd pairing

Reactions: Oilhawks and voxel

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

It really is bad luck for both us and him. Has a top pairing dman/top line forward ever been forced to retire in their mid 20s before this? Lindros is the poster child for injuries ruining a career, and he still made it to 34.

It is pretty rare for a player to retire that early due to injuries. I'm sure it is happened a bunch of times, but it isn't like it happens even once a year I wouldn't think.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It is pretty rare for a player to retire that early due to injuries. I'm sure it is happened a bunch of times, but it isn't like it happens even once a year I wouldn't think.
true but he had these issues coming into the league, he missed time in his 19yo season as well. its been 8-9 years of injury for him

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
If the outside chance of him playing again doesn't come to be, I always thought he was very well-spoken and if he had an interest, would make a good analyst or contributor to the Oil in some similar manner. Not sure, of course, if he has any interest in that area.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Bobby Orr was done at 26/27, and only limped around for a few painful games the next three years before officially calling it quits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad