Is this season Stanley Cup or bust?

HTT3*

Signing Alfie does not mean it's cup or bust. It's just Kenny Holland working the PR machine.

This team is not constructed as a legitimate cup contender.

Not saying this is a cup or bust season, but really? Did you watch Alfie in the playoffs last year? He was nothing short of amazing! He's not just a PR signing, the guy has fire and passion... and wants to win and knows how to do it!

Johnz96*

The goal is to win the Cup. If you don't accomplish your goal, you failed. Simple as that.

Detroit Sports*

The goal is to win the Cup. If you don't accomplish your goal, you failed. Simple as that.

That's how I feel as well. I guess from the poll results though we are the minority on here. :laugh:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not saying this is a cup or bust season, but really? Did you watch Alfie in the playoffs last year? He was nothing short of amazing! He's not just a PR signing, the guy has fire and passion... and wants to win and knows how to do it!

You really are obsessed with small sample sizes and expect older players to continue to produce at the same rate no matter how old they are. He is a decent player, but nothing special at this point of his career.

The guy already has groin problems and the season hasn't even started yet.

HTT3*

You really are obsessed with small sample sizes and expect older players to continue to produce at the same rate no matter how old they are. He is a decent player, but nothing special at this point of his career.

The guy already has groin problems and the season hasn't even started yet.

Sure was a lot of interest in him from teams (including Boston) for being "nothing special". They must not have the inside knowledge you do. :laugh:

HTT3*

Cup contenders are just lining up at the door for all these "nothing special" players. The key to winning the cup, sign gobbs of "nothing special" players... funny how that works. :laugh:

People cry Holland won't sign a top 6 winger, when he does, he gets crucified for signing washed up "nothing special" players who are legit top 6 wingers that only Cup Contenders should sign because it's PR related purposes only...

How ridiculous is that? :laugh:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Alfredsson may still be a good player but his numbers have been trending downwards for a few years already. The name is definitely bigger than the production you're going to get.

Meanwhile people seem to forget that we lost Filppula and Brunner and basically simply replaced them with older, at best marginally better players.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Cup contenders are just lining up at the door for all these "nothing special" players. The key to winning the cup, sign gobbs of "nothing special" players... funny how that works. :laugh:

People cry Holland won't sign a top 6 winger, when he does, he gets crucified for signing washed up "nothing special" players who are legit top 6 wingers that only Cup Contenders should sign because it's PR related purposes only...

How ridiculous is that? :laugh:

So you really think the wings are in the top 4 or 5 teams to win the cup?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I do I think if can have healthy datsyuk zetterberg all year and alfie and others for playoffs and if Mike makes right decisions on line ups and usage we are the team to beat.

I think our biggest threats are la and chicago not boston.

Boston will hit itself out of contention again as they did last year. Smart hockey works better than injuring yourself to make hits.

Just saying.

HTT3*

In the East? Probably. You can create a poll in the poll section and I'm sure the general consensus will be Detroit finishes top 5 in the East. Whenever you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win.

But I suspect you are talking about Vegas odds... those who put money on LA Kings a few years ago probably made bank.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
In the East? Probably. You can create a poll in the poll section and I'm sure the general consensus will be Detroit finishes top 5 in the East. Whenever you make the playoffs, you have a chance to win.

But I suspect you are talking about Vegas odds... those who put money on LA Kings a few years ago probably made bank.

I can agree that they're top 5 in the East but I see a cup or bust season as being a top 4 or 5 contender for the cup

HTT3*

In no order I have Boston, pitts, la, Chicago, San Jose, St Louis ahead of them

I disagree with SJ and St. Louis. We also see the Pens having meltdowns too easily and Chicago will have a target on their backs. LA is the wildcard because they are only as good as their goaltending... and Quick isn't always lights out. On the flip side, Jimmy Howard is perfectly capable of performing at the same level of Quick when firing on all cylinders.

Wings may not be the clear cut top favorites, but they have a lot of good things going for them such as Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Howard, Kronwall, Daniel Alfredsson... not to mention if Franzen and Cleary can turn into beast mode like they've both done in the past, Wings could go all the way. What the Vegas odds are doesn't really matter to me, nor does it matter to the players.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I disagree with SJ and St. Louis. We also see the Pens having meltdowns too easily and Chicago will have a target on their backs. LA is the wildcard because they are only as good as their goaltending... and Quick isn't always lights out. On the flip side, Jimmy Howard is perfectly capable of performing at the same level of Quick when firing on all cylinders.

Wings may not be the clear cut top favorites, but they have a lot of good things going for them such as Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Howard, Kronwall, Daniel Alfredsson... not to mention if Franzen and Cleary can turn into beast mode like they've both done in the past, Wings could go all the way. What the Vegas odds are doesn't really matter to me, nor does it matter to the players.

ok, whos your top 5 cup contenders?

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
I think it's "Stanley Cup or bust" for Alfredsson but not for the team as a whole. If we make the conference finals and our young guys are key in getting us there, I'm not mad. Sure, I'll be pissed off for about two weeks or so but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

Detroit Sports*

I think it's "Stanley Cup or bust" for Alfredsson but not for the team as a whole. If we make the conference finals and our young guys are key in getting us there, I'm not mad. Sure, I'll be pissed off for about two weeks or so but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

I pretty much agree with this. Everytime we get close I say to myself " If we win one more cup I'll be set for life..." then a few years go by and I want another one BADLY!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::yo::yo::yo:

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
I pretty much agree with this. Everytime we get close I say to myself " If we win one more cup I'll be set for life..." then a few years go by and I want another one BADLY!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::yo::yo::yo:

Hahaha well 6 years after the 2002 cup, we won the 08 championship. Now here we are 6 years later. I think we're due.

In all honesty, I don't think our team is that far off from one more run. I think Tatar and Nyquist can help us go a long way this year. I'd feel a lot better if we had a top 4 Dman to compliment Kronwall on the top pairing though.

Also, Abdelkader sucks.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Every year is Stanley Cup or bust.

I somewhat agree on this statement. Being a perennial contender is a big part of DRW culture. Even if the chances sometimes are not in favor of DRW, the fans and management should keep expecting the best, every year and from every single player. It is not the New York Islanders we're talking about.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I somewhat agree on this statement. Being a perennial contender is a big part of DRW culture. Even if the chances sometimes are not in favor of DRW, the fans and management should keep expecting the best, every year and from every single player. It is not the New York Islanders we're talking about.

From the late 70s to the mid 80s the Islanders were the contenders and multiple Cup winners and the Red Wings were the bottom-feeding joke of the league. The league isn't set up to have permanently good and permanently bad teams, there's rotation by design.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad