Prospect Info: Is This Lazar's Last Game? Update 06/11: Nope

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's already being pumped as a 30-goal guy on TGOR this morning. Mind you, it was a roundtable of McGuire, J.R. and someone so...
Even so, the media handling is starting to remind me eerily of Silfverberg.

"He played in the SEL against men!"
"He dominated with the Oil Kings!"
"He's going to score 30-goals, his shot is insane!"
"He's going to score 30, he scored 50 in junior!"

Etc. Etc. Really wish the hype train would slow down, Lazar will never live up to expectations if this keeps up.

See, that's what I'm worried about.

Lazar is going to be a good one, but in NHL terms, he's still a baby. It's probably going to be a good 5 years before we see anything close to 20-25 goals from him.

Problem is, people have no patience. They see a kid like MacKinnon bust out as a teen and think every prospect will do the same thing. It won't be long before people scream and yell and demand to know what is "wrong" with Lazar when he "only" gets a handful of points this year. :(

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I'd be curious to see where people put Lazar as over/under Mike Fisher ppg totals in his career...
I'd say over but not by much.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
See, that's what I'm worried about.

Lazar is going to be a good one, but in NHL terms, he's still a baby. It's probably going to be a good 5 years before we see anything close to 20-25 goals from him.

Problem is, people have no patience. They see a kid like MacKinnon bust out as a teen and think every prospect will do the same thing. It won't be long before people scream and yell and demand to know what is "wrong" with Lazar when he "only" gets a handful of points this year. :(

It wouldn't be all that surprising if he had a 20-25 goal season by 21-22. I mean, his line may be a month away from being line 2. Maybe not though.

I just don't think a 20 goal season by 21 means a 40 goal season by 25 (or ever).

Aside from physical maturity and whatever experience can bring him, his game is very refined.

Toews is a comparable in that by 21-22 he was arguably at a peak that he now looks to sustain for as long as possible.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Regardless of point production, lazar plays with a hell of a lot more smarts than fish did. I expect he'll score somewhat more but it doesn't tell the whole story, he'll be a better overall player.

No one has to explain to me just how good mike fisher or anything.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Regardless of point production, lazar plays with a hell of a lot more smarts than fish did. I expect he'll score somewhat more but it doesn't tell the whole story, he'll be a better overall player.

No one has to explain to me just how good mike fisher or anything.

Yup. Ive seen a lot of Mike Fisher. Was my favorite Wolves player when he was here playing junior. He even played a pretty large part in my becoming a full time Sens fan (although I was still trending that way before he was drafted).

My grandpa always made a point to make sure that I noticed the little things that mike did without the puck. And he did a lot of them.

Having said all that, Fisher was still never even close to as polished a prospect as Lazar. He was far more raw, and his hockey IQ just isn't in the same stratosphere. He did not know where to be at all times, and had little to no creativity with the puck.

Lazar seems to think the game at a much higher level and pace.

Imo we've never had a prospect as complete as he is. Not with his kind of pedigree anyways. Every single thing I've seen from Lazar so far suggests he's going to be a tremendous pro, and one of those guys that every fan base in the league wants on their team.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
One thing I like about Lazar's game is that as soon as they get possession in the O-zone the kid parks himself in front of the net. He's been directly responsible for a few goals for which he didn't get credit and some won't even show in the scoring stats. He's helping Stone and Hoffman even when he doesn't get a late touch by drawing the attention of the D and distracting the goalie. If Greening did that he'd still be playing.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Lazar is a breath of fresh air. He's that guy we hyped and waited for that is actually going to work out. He's Hossa, Havlat, Fisher, Karlsson - guys we drafted who came up early and made a difference from the get go. He is exciting to watch.

He is addressing the bar for the new crew with the likes of Hoffman, Stone and Ceci. And has set the bar for guys like Puempel, Pageau, Prince and Paul who will be coming soon.

Zibanejad, Cowen and the like still need time to develop to maybe reach their potential, but they are not there yet. Lazar is. His impact makes hockey fun to watch again from that youthful aspect.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I never understood why players are under appreciated and devalued by the NHL Calder Committee. They seem to go for points over player impact and value to his team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lazar is a breath of fresh air. He's that guy we hyped and waited for that is actually going to work out. He's Hossa, Havlat, Fisher, Karlsson - guys we drafted who came up early and made a difference from the get go. He is exciting to watch.

He is addressing the bar for the new crew with the likes of Hoffman, Stone and Ceci. And has set the bar for guys like Puempel, Pageau, Prince and Paul who will be coming soon.

Zibanejad, Cowen and the like still need time to develop to maybe reach their potential, but they are not there yet. Lazar is. His impact makes hockey fun to watch again from that youthful aspect.

Lazar is at his potential? What?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I never understood why players are under appreciated and devalued by the NHL Calder Committee. They seem to go for points over player impact and value to his team.

i dont know why fans under appreciate points sometimes...we see it with karlsson and spezza all the time

imo a rookie playing like a top 6 forward is worth more then a 3rd line energy player who is good defensively

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Extreme difference in hours at the office.

Check stat leaders or pay close attention to every team and qualitative values.

It explains more than Calder. It's why you shouldn't care that much about awards

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
i dont know why fans under appreciate points sometimes...we see it with karlsson and spezza all the time

imo a rookie playing like a top 6 forward is worth more then a 3rd line energy player who is good defensively

The best is when people get scared about the energy forward and how he's over gonna "learn" to play offense.

The game is run by the guys who score, every defensive first player in the league would choose points if they were capable .

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope they don't get McDavid, it seems like the worst thing that could happen for the development of a promising young player is to be drafted by Edmonton.

I want a Canadian team to get McDavid! Preferably Ottawa, but Edmonton would be great. Good for them if it happens!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I want a Canadian team to get McDavid! Preferably Ottawa, but Edmonton would be great. Good for them if it happens!

Landing Mcdavid would turn that franchise around. It will allow them to trade one or two of their skilled kid forwards to beef up the crease and the blueline.

Edmonton will be terrifying in 3 years with McDavid. Im not even sure that Lowe and Mctavish are incompetent enough to mess that up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd would be willing to sacrifice the rest of the year right now (TANK) to get McDavid!!.....................::wg:

I just hope Buffalo doesn't get him. They already have enough kids and first rounders in 2015 to make for a nice rebuild.

Aside from Ottawa nabbing him, I'm not sure which other team I'd like to see him on. Would be interesting to see what a solid market like Nashville would do if they had a real superstar on the roster.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I'm a little concerned that Stone & the Hoffman are scoring and Lazar isn't yet. :(

Could it be they are making him look better than he really is? Could they have put anyone with them, and they'd still look good? :amazed:

At the very least, Lazar is winning a lot of Face-Offs, so we know he's hustling, nor does he not look any slower than the game itself. :yo:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's playing well enough to stick in a bottom 6 role, but I still don't see what separates him from Pageau or Puempel at this stage in his career. I think both of those players could have helped us right now just as much as Lazar will.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He's playing well enough to stick in a bottom 6 role, but I still don't see what separates him from Pageau or Puempel at this stage in his career. I think both of those players could have helped us right now just as much as Lazar will.

He's much more detailed then the other two, especially puempel.

He's been pretty neutral the last two games which is fine for a guy who's bailing us out below our goal line at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad