Is this Dustin Byfuglien hit suspension-worthy? (NBC sports)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I think we are going to see a weird circus of calls that don’t make sense from Mr. Parros and the NHL. The NHL is still figuring out what a “dangerous” play is. It’s quite frustrating.

I don’t think the Wilson hit was deserving of 20 games, but to send the message to Mr. Wilson is understandable. They want to take out dirty plays.

It’s beyond me that Brad Marchand didn’t get in trouble for jumping Lars Eller... especially with the history that Marchand has of blatantly dirty plays.

Dustin Byfugelin, I don’t think, has that edge game, like Wilson/Marchand/Gudas. I more or less think that his strength and just massive body account for all the problems he has lol. I don’t think he accounts for it wel. Everyone goes into the corner hard during a scrum with cross checks (you can see Scheifele throwing punches at pitlick with the ref right there). I think Byfugelin hulk-like anger may exacerbate his actions, that being said, boarding someone after the whistle in a scrum is a blatant rule violation.

My guess is that it should’ve been a misconduct. If they’re really trying their hardest to eliminate these plays, a fine should do. I don’t really see a 1 game suspension being viable since people do this a lot in scrums, I think Carrick May have been at a weird angle and not many people can compete with Byfugelins strength. I’m not defending Dustin Byfugelin, I’m just sharing my thoughts.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yes, absolutely. He lost his cool there, he's normally not that type of guy but you need to keep him in check. 1-2 games. This way you create a precedent if it happens again.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
5 minute major at most. Everyone cries for a suspension on everything now.

I agree that was probably the best outcome, but if the referees don't give the 5 min + game misconduct I think the Player Safety department has to step in to keep Buff in check. A fine at minimum or 1-2 games. I mean, you can clearly get injured with a crosscheck/boarding like that... so I would be fine if he was suspended.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Horrible hit. The fact that the In was between whistles makes it worse. Can’t blame it on the speed of the game. He could have done some serious damage.

5 and game would have been enough for me but f*** do I know.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Hit was after the whistle and to someone who had their back turned. Coward ****. Suspended him and take away his man card. Maybe he will get upset with me for saying that and throw my clothes int he shower like a real man does. Oh wait he was a coward about Kane too.
What Carrick did was after the whistle as well.

Should he be suspended and have his man card taken away? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Uncle Bob

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Is this Dustin Byfuglien hit suspension-worthy? - NBC Sports

(From the article)
The Winnipeg Jets defenseman sometimes goes over the line in moments of rage, and Saturday’s game against the Dallas Stars provides the latest example of Byfuglien going too far. You can watch his after-the-whistle, from behind hit on Connor Carrick in the video above this post’s headline and decide for yourself: should Byfuglien once again be suspended?

Either way, Byfuglien wasn’t ejected from this clash between two powerful Central Division teams. Instead, he only received a cross-checking penalty, and that came against Marc Methot, not Carrick. Just pure luck that Carrick did not suffer a severe injury.

Mod edit:

yes, disgusting cross check

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It was a bump and it looked worse then it did because Byfuglien is a beast strength wise and it does not take much of a shove to seriously mess someone up. He let up and did not go full crazy. Overreaction and its best.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Never liked Dustin. Much more disgusting POS than Tom Wilson.

If Byfuglien played the game like Wilson he would he probably killed a few people by now. The man is hockey's version of the Hulk, hes the only player i could see have any remote chance against Chara in a fight.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
What Carrick did was after the whistle as well.

Should he be suspended and have his man card taken away? :sarcasm:
when he starts acting like a little kid and throwing other adults clothes in the showers then 100%.... don't act bitch made and get defensive when it gets pointed out. Lots of bitch made dorks are big and strong. Doesnt change that deep down in side they are still cowards and only fihgt when they know the person is smaller, weaker, or isn't looking.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If Byfuglien played the game like Wilson he would he probably killed a few people by now. The man is hockey's version of the Hulk, hes the only player i could see have any remote chance against Chara in a fight.
It isnt possible for him to play like Wilson. Byfuglien has no speed. Wilson does everything at high speed.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Who said it justified it......it wasn’t that big of a hit....not even a hit more of a push. Either way, call it whatever it wasn’t a big deal (refs & NHL agree). I loved it, touch our stars and face Buff. Message sent and received loud & clear.
By saying it was "a gentle tap by a sleeping giant" ...yada yada negates the dangerous nature of that hit and the severe injury it could of cause regardless if Buff didn't use much of his strength. A push is just as dangerous as a hit from behind when a player is in a vulnerable position a couple feet out facing the boards. The fact that you support a player pulling a cheap shot like that for "touch our stars" all but shows your inability to care about other players safety. If Buff wants to send a message then drop the f***ing gloves like a man and not hit an unsuspecting player from behind head first into the boards.

Someone needs to lawn chair Buff.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
By saying it was "a gentle tap by a sleeping giant" ...yada yada negates the dangerous nature of that hit and the severe injury it could of cause regardless if Buff didn't use much of his strength. A push is just as dangerous as a hit from behind when a player is in a vulnerable position a couple feet out facing the boards. The fact that you support a player pulling a cheap shot like that for "touch our stars" all but shows your inability to care about other players safety. If Buff wants to send a message then drop the ****ing gloves like a man and not hit an unsuspecting player from behind head first into the boards.

Someone needs to lawn chair Buff.

Got it you don’t like physical rough hockey. Cool beans!

Gladly the refs & nhl don’t agree with you, both players got what they deserved.....and you don’t like it. Noted!

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Got it you don’t like physical rough hockey. Cool beans!

Gladly the refs & nhl don’t agree with you, both players got what they deserved.....and you don’t like it. Noted!
I have no problem with physical play, what i have a problem with is cheap hits from behind. Apparently you are ok with dirty cheap hits, NOTED!

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I have no problem with physical play, what i have a problem with is cheap hits from behind. Apparently you are ok with dirty cheap hits, NOTED!

Again......you didn’t like a physical play followed by another physical play.....resulted in a deserved minor. I call it minor call, refs agree. Refs called it a minor, nhl reviewed it and saw no need for even a phone call (which is the thing important here)....so it appears you are perhaps making more of it then hockey experts & vets. It’s all good, that’s why we have social media for the fans to voice their opinion and say don’t agree with the experts & vets of the nhl using video reply from multi angles. Fan engagement I love it! This is what drives a forum......expressing opinions.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I support physical play if it is done in a clean fashion and just because the league and refs didn't hold him to the fire for the hit doesn't take away from the fact that it is a dangerous play and pretty damn cheap. If [Insert Winnipeg player] was hit from behind like that there would be plenty of people posting saying that a suspension should be handed down, kind of like the normal mindset in this thread. I have no problem with anyone expressing their opinions but by disregarding a players safety is where the opinions become just just mindless drivel.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I support physical play if it is done in a clean fashion and just because the league and refs didn't hold him to the fire for the hit doesn't take away from the fact that it is a dangerous play and pretty damn cheap. If [Insert Winnipeg player] was hit from behind like that there would be plenty of people posting saying that a suspension should be handed down, kind of like the normal mindset in this thread. I have no problem with anyone expressing their opinions but by disregarding a players safety is where the opinions become just just mindless drivel.

We will have to agree to disagree which is totally fine. But I’ll point out that totally neutral unbiased experts, vets of the nhl with decades of experience and clear video tape evidence all confirm that it was nothing more then a minor 2 pen. Passionate fans, especially those from the team of the player hit......might not always offer the most unbiased view......just saying. Cheers!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Byfuglien has a rough game but hes not a dirty player. Only rabid fan boys of the other team's players who are terrified of Byfuglien can make such a claim. Show me his suspension history or his malicious play on the ice that led to the poor innocent victims suffering.

Byfuglien is an honorable dude. Hes an old school hockey player that will mess you up but rarely ever cross the line.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
when he starts acting like a little kid and throwing other adults clothes in the showers then 100%.... don't act ***** made and get defensive when it gets pointed out. Lots of ***** made dorks are big and strong. Doesnt change that deep down in side they are still cowards and only fihgt when they know the person is smaller, weaker, or isn't looking.
BooHoo

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Byfuglien has a rough game but hes not a dirty player. Only rabid fan boys of the other team's players who are terrified of Byfuglien can make such a claim. Show me his suspension history or his malicious play on the ice that led to the poor innocent victims suffering.

Byfuglien is an honorable dude. Hes an old school hockey player that will mess you up but rarely ever cross the line.
Too funny

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Again......you didn’t like a physical play followed by another physical play.....resulted in a deserved minor. I call it minor call, refs agree. Refs called it a minor, nhl reviewed it and saw no need for even a phone call (which is the thing important here)....so it appears you are perhaps making more of it then hockey experts & vets. It’s all good, that’s why we have social media for the fans to voice their opinion and say don’t agree with the experts & vets of the nhl using video reply from multi angles. Fan engagement I love it! This is what drives a forum......expressing opinions.
With a post like this, you should never complain about a refs call, league suspension or really anything the NHL makes a ruling on.

But I would bet my life on it you will/have. So I'd stop acting all high and mighty based on a league ruling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad