Speculation: Is this a rebuild or just getting cheaper players?

Is this a rebuild/youth movement, or is Stan just finding cheaper players?

• Total voters

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I think that tweet is stupid.

Zadorov I can see the argument for. But he's also younger, with maybe some potential still left as multiple Avs fans said he was restricted in their system. Plus he fills a need next to our small defensemen. He could even be flipped at the TDL or next year as RFA.

Janmark? Do people really think he was brought in to replace Saad? Why only 1 year contract then? Just stupid. He's here so he can be flipped at the deadline. Literally a rebuilding move.

Big whoop.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I think that tweet is stupid.

Zadorov I can see the argument for. But he's also younger, with maybe some potential still left as multiple Avs fans said he was restricted in their system. Plus he fills a need next to our small defensemen. He could even be flipped at the TDL or next year as RFA.

Janmark? Do people really think he was brought in to replace Saad? Why only 1 year contract then? Just stupid. He's here so he can be flipped at the deadline. Literally a rebuilding move.

Big whoop.

Yeah Zodorov could absolutely be part of the future. He’s 25...

Janmark? Meh...he’s just a guy, I don’t understand being outraged about it.

(I guess if you’d rather see a younger guy get an opportunity I could understand that)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Is rebuilding something only 1 way to be done? I dont believe so.

Sure it HELPS a rebuild to get more future assets, it's a "smart" way to rebuild although nobody who does that seems to find any playoff success after doing it.

Reactions: Muffinalt

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think that we've been making dumb moves lately, but I don't think Bowman and Hawks brass are stupid or cheap. I don't see them getting cheaper just for the sake of getting cheaper. You need a good product to sell tickets and merch, the golden age fuzzies are pretty much gone now and 2010-15 ain't really selling now.

But if it's a rebuild versus just bad roster management/analysis or attempts to clear up space for signings that didn't or hasn't happened... that much I don't know. Between the two extremes, rebuild.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
A rebuild occurs first and foremost through the draft.

Don’t necessarily need a true 1D, but 3-4 of 2D’s would suffice. Everything else is obtainable through drafting aside from the goalie...sign one when the time is right.

The problem is that the Hawks management has drafted poorly most of the time.

2011 was the last good draft year even though McNeill was a wasted first rounder. It’s too early to tell about 2016-2020. 2008 & 2015 were terrible.

2002-2004 set up the Stanley Cup teams. Hawks need 2017-20 to do the same.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
This is obviously a rebuild. Unfortunately management is finally seeing reality that tinkering with the lineup with this core is just not going to produce a winning team. Unfortunately they should have recognized this a couple seasons ago.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is obviously a rebuild. Unfortunately management is finally seeing reality that tinkering with the lineup with this core is just not going to produce a winning team. Unfortunately they should have recognized this a couple seasons ago.

There's a reason McDonough was let go. That wasn't happening while he was here. Period.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Janmark can play anywhere up front and is always a shift from waivers. He's there to plug holes and to let the young guys slot in different areas to better develop or improve self scouting.
His signing, for a single year, tells me he's there to facilitate development rather than "win now". Better options were available for multi year deals at a comparable cap hit.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Everyone at "the rink" are a joke. Those guys found the bad even between 2013-2015. They embody everything wrong with being a Chicago sports fan.

This

They were a brutal listen even when the hawks were good. Puckin hostle is a notorious pessimist with EVERYTHING the hawks do.

hawks could trade a 7th for McDavid and he’d probably complain about mcdavids contract or find something to bitch about.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
The on-ice development & roster choices this year will give the answer.

If they're plugging older recent signings up and down the lineup then you'll know. Remember, Seabs is theoretically healthy right now and we took on Zadorov. Then we sign Janmark with who knows who else, we'll have to see if the guys discussed like Mitchell, Suter, Kurashev et cetera get any long looks. I want all the kids to play.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
A rebuild is usually signaled by acquiring draft picks. Something Bowman has yet to do. Until something more dramatic happens we’re still 3 years into an unsuccessful retool.

Reactions: Pertti

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It's a rebuild but we already have a lot of young guys in the system so we can't completely hang them out to dry as it will stunt their development and we will never get out of the rebuild. I see Zadorov and Janmark as temp signings meant not necessarily to compete but to add some physicality and defence to give our young guys space to play. The physicality of the game was an issue in limiting Boqvist during playoffs. And yes he will grow tougher but for now we just want him playing with some more confidence.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Is there ANY GM who can do ANY BETTER than Stan (understand...not saying g Stan has done well) GIVEN 2 out of his control circumstances have handcuffed him :

1.Cap didd not rose enough as expected for the past 4 seasons and so the plans projected prior to that had a choke hold on what happened next...from the trade odOanarin on...

Those fat contracts to Keith Toews Kane and Seabs were initialy thought to be ok because nobody saw an end to continued cap rise ...but as we know it has been pretty stagnant ...

2.Just when they thought the new TV deal woukd kick in for bigger cap rises again,we get thev Covid 19 situation causing a flat cap and delaying the impact of a new TV deal to cause a big rise again till a few years later than exoected.

Yes you can criticize Stan for his way to generous periods of NMC s given out ,but ask any GM put into the situation Stan had to face with the cap stagnation from causes he had no control over,and short of retaining boatloads of bucks to get picks for highest paid core players if they even had noNMC issues,I doubt many coukd do better...

The Keith,Toews and Kane deals became unfortunate with the cap realities.. but the 1 extentionhevhad most control over was Seabrook and that one shoukd never have been given for that amount and term and no tradevoisdibikity till the final 2 years remaining when the NMC movies when Seabs is a geezer at agec37...that cobtract was plain dumb..

However..given the albatross contracts we have Now ...therevisvorecuousvluttle any GM can do..

Tinker with non core players...of course..butbit iscthosec4 core contractscthat limit what can be done .

Sure blame Stan for hisvown predicament ...but any GM ...hom or anyone else given this deck of cards today woukd need to be a miracle worker to make thexsituation better enough to be Cup contenders.

It is what is is...and fans need to be realistic about not progressing much again till the core is all gone....by 2-3morecsesdons that may conevabout and all that cap soace free us the cap rising again by a lotcafter 2 orc3 more years will present a totally new opportunity for greatness again...till then....muddle on...

Reactions: d rake

Crow

May 19, 2014
When did Stanley say it’s a rebuild? Or anyone? All I saw was we are going to have a goalie competition between young goalies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
When did Stanley say it’s a rebuild? Or anyone? All I saw was we are going to have a goalie competition between young goalies.

How many teams come out and ACTUALLY state that they are rebuilding? lol

Read between the lines here. And...there are different ways to rebuild. If you want to rebuild faster, you find some lottery tickets and hit on a couple of them(young project players, already at the NHL level)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How many teams come out and ACTUALLY state that they are rebuilding? lol

Read between the lines here. And...there are different ways to rebuild. If you want to rebuild faster, you find some lottery tickets and hit on a couple of them(young project players, already at the NHL level)
*cough* Nylander *cough*

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2