Proposal: Is there room for Ron Francis and/or Joe Nieuwendyk with our Leafs

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Francis did well in Carolina, at least on paper. He just couldn't find a goaltender to save his life and didn't make any big moves to bolster their team quality.

He'd probably be someone to look at if Shanahan wasn't going to promote from within.

I dont see anyway that Lou is removed for a guy like Francis (or any other external candidate)

Its 100% going to be an internal candidate

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Maybe if Francis or Nieuwendyk wanted to become a personal adviser for Matthews sure. :sarcasm:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This team still employs Cliff Fletcher as a Senior Advisor.

They don't need anymore "advisors" or "hockey guys"
One of the richest franchises in the NHL should load up with as much front office/management/scouts etc. Keep as much of the talent away from the other clubs as possible! LOL

Should have overpaid to grab Stephen Yzerman instead of allowing him to head south! JMHO.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
One of the richest franchises in the NHL should load up with as much front office/management/scouts etc. Keep as much of the talent away from the other clubs as possible! LOL

Should have overpaid to grab Stephen Yzerman instead of allowing him to head south! JMHO.

I think one of the undiscussed motivators behind the Lou move, was not wanting to have too many chefs in the kitchen.

Too many dissenting opinions isnt a good thing

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think we're fine. Might be worth a PTO with Montreal in September:sarcasm:. Can't be less effective than half the Canadiens forwards were this year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I thought Francis built the Carolina team for what it is today, but most of it was good drafting prior to his arrival (Slavin, Pesce).

Couple good trades in Darling, Teuvo, and Sekera, but realistically he failed the one large thing a GM *should* be able to do, and it's get his team over the hump.

I'd also say his drafting resume isn't exactly sterling:

2014 - Hayden Fleury (Nylander, Ehlers next two picks)
2015 - Noah Hanifin (Provorov, Rantanen, Werenski, Barzal all available)
2016 - Jake Bean (McAvoy next pick)
2017 - Martin Necas

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think one of the undiscussed motivators behind the Lou move, was not wanting to have too many chefs in the kitchen.

Too many dissenting opinions isnt a good thing
Ultimately, someone at the top has to be in charge and make the final decisions. Having many experienced hockey people contributing to the decision can be helpful. Management by committee can work sometimes.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Ultimately, someone at the top has to be in charge and make the final decisions. Having many experienced hockey people contributing to the decision can be helpful. Management by committee can work sometimes.

In my experience, in the real world, it rarely ever works.

Very rarely do you ever get big personalities in the same room, creating perfect synergy with each other.

Some tension can be good - you challenge one another.

But more often than not, it leads to a lack of productivity and efficiency.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I thought Francis built the Carolina team for what it is today, but most of it was good drafting prior to his arrival (Slavin, Pesce).

Couple good trades in Darling, Teuvo, and Sekera, but realistically he failed the one large thing a GM *should* be able to do, and it's get his team over the hump.

I'd also say his drafting resume isn't exactly sterling:

2014 - Hayden Fleury (Nylander, Ehlers next two picks)
2015 - Noah Hanifin (Provorov, Rantanen, Werenski, Barzal all available)
2016 - Jake Bean (McAvoy next pick)
2017 - Martin Necas

It's easy, with every team, to use hindsight and say "what were they thinking with that pick??"

That Fleury pick though, compared to some of the other elite forwards available at the time, was just a head-scratcher, right at the moment they made the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad