Proposal: Is there room for Ron Francis and/or Joe Nieuwendyk with our Leafs

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
...and Gary Roberts as our fitness guru.

...Kent Manderville can be our procurement manager.

...Peter Ing can handle the marketing side of things.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's easy, with every team, to use hindsight and say "what were they thinking with that pick??"

That Fleury pick though, compared to some of the other elite forwards available at the time, was just a head-scratcher, right at the moment they made the pick.

So was Bean over McAvoy.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Francis did well in Carolina, at least on paper. He just couldn't find a goaltender to save his life and didn't make any big moves to bolster their team quality.

He'd probably be someone to look at if Shanahan wasn't going to promote from within.

How?

I think I read that he didn't make a player-for-player deal in his entire tenure as Canes GM. I haven't verified that, though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How?

I think I read that he didn't make a player-for-player deal in his entire tenure as Canes GM. I haven't verified that, though.

His trading history isn't very extensive since he was only there since late 2014. He did get Teravainen for a 2nd and a 3rd and Zykov (very verygood prospect) for a struggling Versteeg. Not much else done other than that, you are right there.

I agree that he didn't do much overall but he did have a solid drafting record while he was there and his teams were always really good puck possession wise, even though they couldn't find a goaltender to save a beach ball. Ward, Khudobin, Lack, Darling, Leighton... all trash. Definitely one of the things that went wrong with that team is that they didn't bring enough quality.

Overall, not really much there I agree with you.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
In my experience, in the real world, it rarely ever works.

Very rarely do you ever get big personalities in the same room, creating perfect synergy with each other.

Some tension can be good - you challenge one another.

But more often than not, it leads to a lack of productivity and efficiency.
That is why the TOP MAN has to be a strong leader and able to weigh all the input given by the committee to make the best decision possible.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
His trading history isn't very extensive since he was only there since late 2014. He did get Teravainen for a 2nd and a 3rd and Zykov (very verygood prospect) for a struggling Versteeg. Not much else done other than that, you are right there.

I agree that he didn't do much overall but he did have a solid drafting record while he was there and his teams were always really good puck possession wise, even though they couldn't find a goaltender to save a beach ball. Ward, Khudobin, Lack, Darling, Leighton... all trash. Definitely one of the things that went wrong with that team is that they didn't bring enough quality.

Overall, not really much there I agree with you.

His drafting was pretty poor too..

As mentioned above - Fleury & Bean were picked when some obvious talented players were left on the board.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Why not there is no salary cap in the front office!

I don't want either for Loe's job but there are lots of other spots to fill/make

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Do we need more vets on the team? We got Marleau and Hainsey already.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me if Dubas brings Francis on in some sort of capacity, apparently they're pretty close due to their Soo connection. Mirtle suggests the same in an article on the athletic.
One name at the top of Dubas’ recruiting list is believed to be former Hurricanes GM Ron Francis, who he is exceptionally close with due to their mutual connection to the Soo.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I like Ron Francis I wonder what title? Do you go from being an NHL GM to an assistant GM? I know there is no rule against it, JFJ is an example, but not a good one IMO, but it makes the case though I don't think Ron Francis failed as a GM.

Reactions: iSophagus

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would like to see someone with some experience like Francis brought in as an AGM. Who are the other options?

They need someone to run the Marlies.

Pridham will likely take an expanded role in terms of contracts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No.

Both are pretty terrible hockey managers

Unless they’d be willing to take on a Pr/community outreach position

Was definitely a bit hasty in my response here. Spent a bit of time today reading up on francis and his situation apparently wasn’t the easiest in Carolina (Mirtle mentioned he had to operate around 20 mil under the cap ceiling).

Apparently too he and Dubas have been close for a while now, could be an interesting fit if Dubas wants to bring in somebody with more of an established pedigree to be an AGM (though I still think he’ll promote Pridham to that position too).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Was definitely a bit hasty in my response here. Spent a bit of time today reading up on francis and his situation apparently wasn’t the easiest in Carolina (Mirtle mentioned he had to operate around 20 mil under the cap ceiling).

Apparently too he and Dubas have been close for a while now, could be an interesting fit if Dubas wants to bring in somebody with more of an established pedigree to be an AGM (though I still think he’ll promote Pridham to that position too).

A Pridham type who's into numbers and young and up and coming and a "good hockey man" like Francis for some experience and to help with the "old boys network" wouldn't be a bad mix

Reactions: pacman25

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

His biggest problem is completely whiffing on Darling and not being able to find a goaltender. Like none of them could stop a beach ball... it was awful.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would love for them to bring in an experienced hockey man. He doesn't have to be 75 years old but he should be someone with connections and relationships in the league, which is one area that works against Dubas. I am not sure Ronnie or Joe have a strong enough track record, but if they get interviewed then I guess we will know. There are guys with more successful resumes out there, but not sure chuck Fletcher wants an assistant's gig.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Ron Francis I wonder what title? Do you go from being an NHL GM to an assistant GM? I know there is no rule against it, JFJ is an example, but not a good one IMO, but it makes the case though I don't think Ron Francis failed as a GM.

There are so many Head GM roles to go around. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Plenty of Head Coaches get fired and then take on Assistant coaches jobs or even go back to the AHL/Junior ranks in order to work on their craft.

Francis isn't a veteran of the executive world. He's fairly green himself in that aspect. I'm sure he could learn a lot in a lesser position and wait for someone to come calling if/when the opportunity comes.

Toronto is a good place to work because you get so much exposure, even in an assistant role. Just ask Dubas and Hunter.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There are so many Head GM roles to go around. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Plenty of Head Coaches get fired and then take on Assistant coaches jobs or even go back to the AHL/Junior ranks in order to work on their craft.

Francis isn't a veteran of the executive world. He's fairly green himself in that aspect. I'm sure he could learn a lot in a lesser position and wait for someone to come calling if/when the opportunity comes.

Toronto is a good place to work because you get so much exposure, even in an assistant role. Just ask Dubas and Hunter.
Fair enough. I am happy with Francisas AGM. Speltz for scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->