Management Is there Precedence for this in Boston (or other team) Hockey History?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Winning record against:

Detroit
Florida
Pittsburgh
Islanders

Tied against:

Tampa
Rangers

Losing record:

Caps

That's all the East playoff teams.

It is funny how the facts really are as you posted compared to what people say.

I am of the belief the bruins could just about beat everyone or lose to anyone in the east except the caps who it would be a big stretch to beat but anything is possible. I cant imagine Sweeney trading loui for picks or unproven talent after saying he has plans of doing more than making the playoffs this year. The chances of a loui for an already established player could be possible but it is just so hard to do at deadline time.

I really hope they can find a way to sign him but I doubt they will. Loui can do everything and I am willing to bet he ages well. I love this guy even if he isn't producing , he just does so much.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
With that said, I'm honestly not gonna be mad either way regarding Loui.

If they trade Loui and get a good return that fills a greater need then fantastic.

I'm fine with which ever way they go as well, but considering the demand and possible bidding war, I should think DS can get more than just a late 1st or it isn't worth it in my mind.

If they re-up him to a reasonable deal for both sides then fantastic, hes a great player with a game that should last another term easily.

I would hope they keep the term to max 5 years, with a possible NMC only for first 2 years max as well.

If they decide not to re-up him and have other deals happening that require Loui Eriksson to stay for the remainder of the year then that could be justified aswell.

If he stays and they let him expire, then they also need to add something to shore up the D. Hopefully relatively cheap. No 1sts, which they'll need come draft day as assets for a more impact player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I hate the idea that if a team isn't a Stanley Cup contender on paper, then what's the point. Players play the game and if you asked any of them, they all want to be in the playoffs fighting for a chance to win it all then sitting in front of a computer and counting all the draft picks their team picked up for the draft or booking golfing trips.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They don't if you don't count the times they do. I think that's what people here are doing.

yes people are cherry picking a very small game sample... luckily results on feb 21 dont matted more than results on november 21... and neither matter much

a win matters... we win more against other playoff teams than they win against us. we are more of a contender then they are

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I hate the idea that if a team isn't a Stanley Cup contender on paper, then what's the point. Players play the game and if you asked any of them, they all want to be in the playoffs fighting for a chance to win it all then sitting in front of a computer and counting all the draft picks their team picked up for the draft or booking golfing trips.

I don't get it either. I understand the idea of trading your UFAs, but not when your team is in a playoff spot. That said if they trade him and somehow upgrade the D and pick up a guy like Hudler at the deadline then fine, that makes sense. They have enough picks this year and prospects to make any play they want to at the draft another late 1st isn't changing that.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

It's not about the paper thing. Look at Bruins's D. They will not survive against a top team. Kevan Miller on the 1st pairing? Come on !

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It's not about the paper thing. Look at Bruins's D. They will not survive against a top team. Kevan Miller on the 1st pairing? Come on !

chicago had putrid bottom paid dmen last year... even worst than our current options.

i guess the kid from russia is rumored coming over? theres historical cases of junoir kids getting a look at playoffs... college signings...

and then there is always the likely probability we add a zanon or redden or montadore type

all hope isnt lost yet true believers

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
chicago had putrid bottom paid dmen last year... even worst than our current options.

i guess the kid from russia is rumored coming over? theres historical cases of junoir kids getting a look at playoffs... college signings...

and then there is always the likely probability we add a zanon or redden or montadore type

all hope isnt lost yet true believers

I'm not going to try to change your mind. To me, Bruins suspect defense + their inhability to put away team like Columbus or Buffalo is telling me that this team miss 1-2 key ingredients to go deep. There's no point to buy and keep Loui for a one and done thing. That would be counterproductive.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I'm not going to try to change your mind. To me, Bruins suspect defense + their inhability to put away team like Columbus or Buffalo is telling me that this team miss 1-2 key ingredients to go deep. There's no point to buy and keep Loui for a one and done thing. That would be counterproductive.

Columbus has wins over Washington, la kings , Dallas, stlouis , Nashville . I can play the same game with buffalo if you like. Buffalo has a 4-1 win over Washington. A win over la kings, dallas and a shoot out loss to Chicago I already said earlier today first game back after a road trip is always rough.

Bottom line is everyone in the nhl beats everyone you don't base anything on a game here or there.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Columbus has wins over Washington, la kings , Dallas, stlouis , Nashville . I can play the same game with buffalo if you like. Buffalo has a 4-1 win over Washington. A win over la kings, dallas and a shoot out loss to Chicago I already said earlier today first game back after a road trip is always rough.

Bottom line is everyone in the nhl beats everyone you don't base anything on a game here or there.

I don't think my evaluation of our defense rely on a game here and there....

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I don't think my evaluation of our defense rely on a game here and there....

Well I would be awful surprised myself if this team made it to the final or something I don't see ripping the heart out of it . If they trade loui for picks they probably wont make the playoffs. The combination of losing loui plus the teams depression over it , would pretty well end it for them. Hopefully the Jacobs don't want playoff dates.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Well I would be awful surprised myself if this team made it to the final or something I don't see ripping the heart out of it . If they trade loui for picks they probably wont make the playoffs. The combination of losing loui plus the teams depression over it , would pretty well end it for them. Hopefully the Jacobs don't want playoff dates.

So, what's wrong to miss the playoffs for a long term and sustain success? McQuaid, Kevan Miller and Morrow are limited D-man. Zee is aging and his game is sinking fast. Aside Seids and Krug, we have very few to show. If an injury occur, our depth is Trotman and Colin Miller, a rookie. I don't think the Bruins will go very far as constitued.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston

you have to be smart about your team and assets. We weren't a great team last year and could have gotten a lot for soderberg but didn't. We are a little less talented this year but our conference is worst. you can honestly both sell loui and for a dman with term

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
So, what's wrong to miss the playoffs for a long term and sustain success? McQuaid, Kevan Miller and Morrow are limited D-man. Zee is aging and his game is sinking fast. Aside Seids and Krug, we have very few to show. If an injury occur, our depth is Trotman and Colin Miller, a rookie. I don't think the Bruins will go very far as constitued.

There is really nothing wrong with it but with that said I am a fan and go game to game. I don't cheer for losses so we can get a better pick and I don't throw away seasons in march. If they would've chose to go full rebuild last summer I would happily cheer the young guys on this year. They didn't, they said we want to compete now with a look to the future. I couldn't stand having no playoff hockey last yr and I will pretty pissed if they choose to throw that chance away now. They aren't even a lock to make the playoffs with him or if they get proven players in return but I would like to see how it plays out. I don't recall many teams being in the position they are in now trading a major impact player away at the deadline but the way you guys talk you would think it happens every year.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Anyone who remembers winning 1 playoff round in 15 years knows that just getting in doesn't mean a thing. Not for a veteran team like this.

Eriksson gives them their best chance to upgrade the back end, now or in the offseason. Can't pass it up.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

I'm with you. I see it all the time--"they aren't contenders this year".

So what if the Bruins aren't contenders "on paper"? Only one team out of 30 wins the Cup. That's long odds for all the others.

If you are someone who is unhappy with any Bruins season where they don't win the Cup then you are likely to be unhappy often.

I enjoy the Bruins and watching them go for it--win or lose.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
If I was in charge I would try to stay competitive, but still focus more on the next few years. A playoff spot is to valuable to just give up, even if you have holes that look to be too big to address. Playoffs gives revenue, experience, as well as a chance for a Cinderella run. But I reluctantly accept that this year is not looking good for a Stanley Cup visit. That means I'm also in the buy and sell corner.

Sell: That which will not add anything for next season. I.e. I would trade Loui, if he doesn't re-sign, for the most value I could get back(futures or current players signed for next season), as long as I get a good offer.

Buy: I would spend futures(picks/prospects) on more ready players, who will help both this year and beyond. So they would have to be signed for at least next season, or be an upcoming RFA.

The team is in a very interesting situation, and it will be fun to see how Sweeney handles the upcoming week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad