Line Combos: Is there enough room for Ras, Zadina etc to make team?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, but you have to have some sense on your believings. Barzal was 20-year-old. Zadina is 18.

If you say that Zadina could put up 80 points as 20-year-old, I'd agree with you.

Those 57 point rookie breakers straight from draft have been:

Auston Matthews, 69p
Patrik Laine, 64p

----------------------
Jack Eichel, 56p
Niko Hischier, 52p
Connor McDavid, 48p (was on 80-point pace, but injury)
Nolan Patrick, 30p

eh Hischier will always be more valuable due to the whole center thing but Zadina and Hischier seem like pretty comparable prospects to me aside from that

Hischier did get a lot more support in New Jersey than Zadina is likely to here next year though

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
eh Hischier will always be more valuable due to the whole center thing but Zadina and Hischier seem like pretty comparable prospects to me aside from that

Hischier did get a lot more support in New Jersey than Zadina is likely to here next year though

I like this comparison, Hischier and Zadina are very comparable talent wise. I followed Hischier as a prospect pretty heavily and although centers and wingers are hard to compare considering the way the positions are played, there is a lot of similarities in their ability and talent. They also posted very similar stats in their draft seasons.

Obviously as you said, Hischier will be the more valuable player due to his position and being able to produce at the same rate with more responsibility than Zadina. But I wouldn't be surprised if Zadina trended similar to him. I feel Zadina is a player who can play in the NHL next year, but if he is indeed AHL eligible, I would like to see him in GR for atleast half a season and go from there. No need to rush this kid regardless of his talent level.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Easier to roll the dice as a fan. GM has to consider how the lineup can look after trades (Nyquist, Athanasiou, Glendening) and an injury or two or Z not playing at all.
We'll see what happens.

So, are you trying to say your opinion is inherently more difficult and correct because it agrees with Holland? At that point, why should anyone say anything about what the organization does if the fallback is, "well, they did this and they have to make the decisions... ." It's easier for all of us to say whatever here, but Holland is paid to make difficult decisions. If he's routinely taking the easiest option presented to him, I'm not sure that's a great selling point.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So, are you trying to say your opinion is inherently more difficult and correct because it agrees with Holland? At that point, why should anyone say anything about what the organization does if the fallback is, "well, they did this and they have to make the decisions... ." It's easier for all of us to say whatever here, but Holland is paid to make difficult decisions. If he's routinely taking the easiest option presented to him, I'm not sure that's a great selling point.
I just think when we're talking about moves made in June/July it's hard to know how things will play out in September/October. It's not so easy as to say "Holland is right" or "the fans are right". There's just real world reasons that a GM, at least a smart one, plans a little bit longer term than fans do. The game 1 roster isn't the be-all-end-all of an NHL season, and in a 82 game season you might not have a fully healthy roster for more than 10-20 games.
The difficult decisions should be made in October if we see that, yes we indeed have too many players that should be in the NHL and not enough room.

Reactions: Henkka

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just think when we're talking about moves made in June/July it's hard to know how things will play out in September/October. It's not so easy as to say "Holland is right" or "the fans are right". There's just real world reasons that a GM, at least a smart one, plans a little bit longer term than fans do. The game 1 roster isn't the be-all-end-all of an NHL season, and in a 82 game season you might not have a fully healthy roster for more than 10-20 games.
The difficult decisions should be made in October if we see that, yes we indeed have too many players that should be in the NHL and not enough room.

I don't really disagree that it's early to form a concrete opinion of the roster makeup. At the same time, it's what we have to work with, and I think I and others have outlined how not signing Vanek really doesn't damage this club - even if there are multiple injuries.

I agree, too, that we'll see how this really breaks in October. If we force a trade of Nyquist or AA or someone to make room for a guy like Rasmussen or Zadina to stay up and play I'll be a bit surprised and applaud it. If the kids we keep up are Turgeon, Hickets, and Sulak in almost purely depth roles, it'll be about what I expect at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3