Is there concerns that Wheeler is a locker room problem ?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Can someone explain or link the Wheeler-Laine thing or is it all pure speculation

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Totally off putting, he always talks about the right stuff but rarely shows any of it on the ice. Has higher expectations for others than himself it seems. Somehow he's managed to fool a lot of people with the rhetoric, to the point where people don't see the gap between words and actions.

A true captain would have recognized his time to lead from the front was done, there were better weapons for it now. He could have still been the leader, but he chose to challenge the position instead. Not by play, but by status. And PoMo let him.

Clowns.
Agreed.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
”Underlying stats” :laugh:

At the end of the day goals and points help teams win, Laine had better Ppg than Wheeler, and he was on ice for less goals against, and by eye test the he also was better with Scheiffle than Wheeler was. Scoring wingers are supposed to do just that.

Agreed. I will take Laine's conversion rate over underlying stats, personal preference. I like when the scoreboard is positive more than I care about positive possession metrics etc.

I like efficiency and simplicity. You can go in the zone and cycle and create high % scoring chances and be judged by how well you hockeyed by keeping puck and getting volume of shots on net from as close as possible. Or you can step over the blue line and teleport the puck in the top corner of the net. Looks like crap in advanced stats but really pretty on scoreboard and win column.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
”Underlying stats” :laugh:

At the end of the day goals and points help teams win, Laine had better Ppg than Wheeler, and he was on ice for less goals against, and by eye test the he also was better with Scheiffle than Wheeler was. Scoring wingers are supposed to do just that.

Funny how guys are still looking only for the 1st line data, when meeaning on hockey is to build effective line combinations together.

Something like Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine as a first line would have been good Top6 line...

AND

it would have created a better 2nd line, around Connor and Wheeler, better than any 2nd line combination left after putting all Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler together.

That's the whole f***ing point in this crazy debate. Better 2nd line and better Top6 as together. But Wheeler wanted to favor him as a captain and locked him to 1st line. He didn't want to carry injury-riddled Little. That job was given mostly Laine and Ehlers.

Great coaches spread the talent, if the have balls against their Captain. Maurice didn't have.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wheeler is one of the main reasons that Laine is gone along with Maurice.
Laine would still be a Winnipeg Jet if those cancers Wheeler and Maurice were not here.
Wheeler and Scheifele are Maurice's pets and they run the show here in Winnipeg and the locker room.

Who in their right mind dumps a 22 year old scoring phenom and keeps a 34 year old incompetent captain making $8,250,000 around instead.
Fire Chevy , fire Maurice , trade Wheeler now before it gets worse.
I absolutely hate this Laine trade that .

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I feel like the fact that he came out with that 'I could've treated him better' quote alone is pretty significant. Hockey players would downplay that not come out and actually say that so I'm not one to speculate but there must have been something if he actually said that quote himself.

Reactions: Lurch and tntkid

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wheeler is one of the main reasons that Laine is gone along with Maurice.
Laine would still be a Winnipeg Jet if those cancers Wheeler and Maurice were not here.
Wheeler and Scheifele are Maurice's pets and they run the show here in Winnipeg and the locker room.

Who in their right mind dumps a 22 year old scoring phenom and keeps a 34 year old incompetent captain making $8,250,000 around instead.
Fire Chevy , fire Maurice , trade Wheeler now before it gets worse.
I absolutely hate this Laine trade that .
Are you just going to absolve Scheifele because he's your best player? How do you know not making the moves you suggest to coddle Laine leads to your actual franchise player wanting out?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Wheeler said to Laine "stop playing vidya games and grow up" and Laine replied "lol OK boomer" then Wheeler threw a chair across the room and it all went downhill from there.

Joking aside it probably was something like that.

All jokes aside, I'm serious.

Reactions: Brobust

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
To the Finnish posters here: is there anything in your media about this alleged Laine-Wheeler-Maurice rift? I'd be very curious to read even some Google translated articles.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Are you just going to absolve Scheifele because he's your best player? How do you know not making the moves you suggest to coddle Laine leads to your actual franchise player wanting out?

Scheifele is not our best player and I am sure this Wheeler ass kisser had some impact in Laine leaving too.

That locker room is not good and I can see other players asking out of here down the road.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scheifle is not our best player and I am sure this Wheeler ass kisser had some impact in Laine leaving too.

That locker room is not good and I can see other players asking out of here down the road.
Schiefele is the Jets best player and most valuable trade asset. Any team that chooses Laine over their franchise center and captain, is going to have even more issues in the locker-room.

Reactions: ps241 and Sky04

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Many Winnipeg Jets fans such as myself care that Laine is gone.

He was the future face of this franchise and an incredible goal scorer that was perfecting his game just as our GM dumped him.

itll be a difference for sure... but the fact you guys have Connor and Ehlers still that can easily put the biscuit in the basket and now have one of the top Center duo's(even trio's too) in the league, id say you guys are sitting pretty.

Ive always liked the Jets, and i LOVE this move for you guys making that swap

Reactions: Ringmaster

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Schiefele is the Jets best player and most valuable trade asset. Any team that chooses Laine over their franchise center and captain, is going to have even more issues in the locker-room.

Kyle Connor is actually our best player.

He is glued to Wheeler and Scheifele however on line 1 so I guess all is good with him.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

Scheifele was brought up in that system under those two authority figures. It's hard to blame him for his "upbringing" in the Jets.

Leadership positions should come with higher accountability because it comes with higher perks. You are responsible for your subordinates, especially if they are just reflecting what you taught them.

I can't blame Mark, just his influencers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think chiarot was the one who got in a fight with wheeler during a practice?

I don't think that necessarily means they didn't get along. Fights do happen in practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad