Is there any chance the Rangers can trade for a true #1?

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Until we have a shot at a very real #1 that we can keep through their prime, I'd much rather be a team with skill depth. Even if it makes it harder to win it all, it gives us a much better product to watch night after night, as top heavy teams have difficulty matching up, and the rotation of players becoming streaky keeps us dangerous. Each Cup run will require multiple players getting hot and Lundy playing out of his mind, but that seems to be a requirement for any Cup winners at this point.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Honestly most Step fanboys will point to Nash for his low production numbers. But i think Steps the main reason for Nash's poor production, really...

Nash did score at a decent clip two years ago, although tailed off last season. I don't know how one would blame Stepan for Nash's lack of production. Seems like the puck gets to Nash for good opportunities, but he gets off weak shots around the net and doesn't fight for rebounds. Perhaps this season will be better if Kreider can pick up some slack on the other side and be a 25 goal scorer. That could get the entire line going. We shall see...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
We have a #1C, his name is Derek Stepan.

Its this "true" #1 stuff that gets awfully subjective an usually means a top 5-10 center in the entire league.

KreiMeARiver*

stepan is a number 1 center... hes solid defensively and put up 57 pts.. dude is a number 1c..id rather sacrifice pts for a solid 2-way game.. the problem is we don't have that 1-2 punch.. we need another at least at stepans level..

CA teams are stacked.. cant compare to them..I think we should be patient and see what brass can doo with more ice time (avg 15min in 2013-14) give him around 20 and see what he can do with MZA..

Yeah no. You just defined a 2C.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
stepan is the closest thing we have to a top pivot. he's it, by default.

he doesnt have ideal speed nor quickness and he isnt particularly elusive or dangerous. he is creative and smart, defensively responsible and for the most part, a solid 2 way player.

his shot is actually very good when he uses it. he does have difficulty getting open looks due to his somewhat sloth like skating. he always seems to have shots blocked or deflected. not only is he kinda slows skating, but hes kinda slow moving. he isnt quick at all. has a long slow shot too. needs to improve his release on his wrist shot.

hes a very good 2c with speedy wingers. as a 1, hes gonna continue to be @ average. he doesnt look all that great paired with nash and thats bad.

we need to add some size and speed up the middle. its gonna hurt us if we dont.

Thesensation19*

Trade our top 2 centers for a "true" #1 center... Idk sounds iffy. Brassard and Stepan can be top 2 centers for our team for a long time. I am not a fan of giving up young players especially the age and talent of these two for a guy like Eric Staal or even Joe Thornton who I think is much better.

I am a huge fan of Thornton. I think Joe Thornton is a true #1 guy with size, poise and vision. I would love him but for who. I dont even want to rid ourselves of JT Miller for a guy like Thornton.

#1 draft pick?
Jesper Fast?
Carl Hagelin? No way... limits our depth.

Its all too much.
I would however think about a trade with JT Miller for ROR.
Or Rick Nash for ROR.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Trade our top 2 centers for a "true" #1 center... Idk sounds iffy. Brassard and Stepan can be top 2 centers for our team for a long time. I am not a fan of giving up young players especially the age and talent of these two for a guy like Eric Staal or even Joe Thornton who I think is much better.

I am a huge fan of Thornton. I think Joe Thornton is a true #1 guy with size, poise and vision. I would love him but for who. I dont even want to rid ourselves of JT Miller for a guy like Thornton.

#1 draft pick?
Jesper Fast?
Carl Hagelin? No way... limits our depth.

Its all too much.
I would however think about a trade with JT Miller for ROR.
Or Rick Nash for ROR

Thats quite a leap. One player has value, one does not.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What did he say?

He began discussing the Rangers' RFAs, saying he knows the Rangers intend to bring back Zucc and Kreider, and that they like Brassard, but, that it's possible they could look at acquiring a big center from out west, specifically naming Thornton, and then wondered if Brassard could go the other way. Knowing Boomer, it sounded like he was prepping the ground.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Thornton doesn't want to leave San Jose. St. Louis wanted a trade out of Tampa. Nash also requested a trade. Huge difference. Different situations. Thornton has a huge cap hit. More than Brassard would need to go the other way.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He began discussing the Rangers' RFAs, saying he knows the Rangers intend to bring back Zucc and Kreider, and that they like Brassard, but, that it's possible they could look at acquiring a big center from out west, specifically naming Thornton, and then wondered if Brassard could go the other way. Knowing Boomer, it sounded like he was prepping the ground.

Makes sense since the only possible way to pull off a trade like that is by sending Brassard's $3.7M the other way.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's Brassard's and Klein's salaries... Just not seeing how he's really afforded, well, more personnel-wise than dollar-wise. Even dollar-wise it gets tight.

I'd do Brass and Klein for Thornton :sarcasm:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That's Brassard's and Klein's salaries... Just not seeing how he's really afforded, well, more personnel-wise than dollar-wise. Even dollar-wise it gets tight.

That's for 2 for 1 and it's hard to fill out the roster with both of those players. The Rangers would need to replace Klein with no money to do it and who are they getting. The free agent market stunk. It's hard to find right handed shooting D.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
we cant afford a thornton contract anyway.

even if we move staal. and if we move brass and klein, we have a huge hole. wont work.

we are capped crapped. we will either need someone to step up already in the system or find a young, cheap alternative. a kid or another scrap heap reclamation project.

we arent in a good spot to be adding a guy like thornton.

if we go into the season with

step
brass
miller
moore

we can make the playoffs but we wont be competitive with those 4 up the pipe.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
we cant afford a thornton contract anyway.

even if we move staal. and if we move brass and klein, we have a huge hole. wont work.

we are capped crapped. we will either need someone to step up already in the system or find a young, cheap alternative. a kid or another scrap heap reclamation project.

we arent in a good spot to be adding a guy like thornton.

if we go into the season with

step
brass
miller
moore

we can make the playoffs but we wont be competitive with those 4 up the pipe.

We can deal at the deadline and afford the cap hit if need be.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
That's for 2 for 1 and it's hard to fill out the roster with both of those players. The Rangers would need to replace Klein with no money to do it and who are they getting. The free agent market stunk. It's hard to find right handed shooting D.

I agree, which is why I'm having trouble seeing the Rangers acquiring, especially without a #1 pick this year.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

youd have to assume a kid is coming in to take his spot. Allen? McIlrath? move guys around. McD can play either side has hes proven so you can move the pair around if need be.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
youd have to assume a kid is coming in to take his spot. Allen? McIlrath? move guys around. McD can play either side has hes proven so you can move the pair around if need be.

Do I also have to assume that said kid will actually do an adequate job? Or is just plugging them into a paper lineup in July suitable enough?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
stepan is the closest thing we have to a top pivot. he's it, by default.

he doesnt have ideal speed nor quickness and he isnt particularly elusive or dangerous. he is creative and smart, defensively responsible and for the most part, a solid 2 way player.

his shot is actually very good when he uses it. he does have difficulty getting open looks due to his somewhat sloth like skating. he always seems to have shots blocked or deflected. not only is he kinda slows skating, but hes kinda slow moving. he isnt quick at all. has a long slow shot too. needs to improve his release on his wrist shot.

hes a very good 2c with speedy wingers. as a 1, hes gonna continue to be @ average. he doesnt look all that great paired with nash and thats bad.

we need to add some size and speed up the middle. its gonna hurt us if we dont.

Is everyone just conveniently forgetting how good he and Nash were together last year?

It's not Stepan's fault Nash has had his head up his ass all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad