Is there any chance the Rangers can trade for a true #1?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Is it possible that Sather can pull something off with Stepan or Brassard, maybe Hagelin and some of the prospects to get E. Staal or someone on that level? Maybe the two 2nd rounders next year?

Let's face it, this team is in a 3-4 year window with Hank, MSL, Girardi and co. Guys like McD can hopefully stay around through a 3 year rebuild (though that is looking much too far ahead.)

We already lost a lot of depth. Maybe they can go with a slightly better core and fill in with younger guys under a good system??? Though the Glass signing makes me think this is impossible under the evil overlord Sather.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Question: Rangers make a good move - All Hail Jeff Gorton.

Rangers make a bad move - Evil Overlord Glen Sather.

Come on.

And to address your post, I don't think it would be prudent to package any of those players, especially not in a deal for Eric Staal, who makes $9M.

Huge pass.

Go with what we have and make adjustments in season. Minor tweaks is all I expect and want to see.

n_a_c

Sep 16, 2006
If I recall correctly, the cap is calculated based on the average daily value of salaries paid. Therefore, if a team is under the cap for half the season, the team can be over the cap for the remainder. Can someone confirm if I'm right?

If so, I predict that we will enter the season a few million under the cap, and between January and the trade deadline we will acquire someone, perhaps just a rental who's contract will expire at the end of the season. Now, I don't really like this idea - in theory I prefer to keep assets and be more competitive year after year. But in practice, to get the cup many teams often make a push like that with a late season trade. I'm pretty sure Sather will do everything in his power to try it.

Zuccarello Awesome*

If Carolina retains 10% of E. Staal's salary, he'd be making less than Nash does.

I'd definitely move one of Brassard/Stepan and some picks for him. I think he'd rebound incredibly on this team. He's one of the FEW players I think would play better here than where he currently is.

Would be weird for Jordan though, who just signed in Carolina to play with Eric. I suspect it would mean they also move Jordan's contract to another team as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For the Rangers to bring in someone like Eric Staal they need a huge contract to go back the other way--if you want to continue rolling 4 lines and 3 defense rotations the cap isn't manageable otherwise.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I just don't see how.

IF we could find a trading partner, they would have to retain salary (doubtful if this true #1 center was worth anything)... OR Staal would have to be a part of the package in order for us to pay said #1 C.

If said #1 C is young and on a steal of a contract, who's trading him and what assets do we have that they would want? Would we give up those assets (I'm thinking like McD or Kreider).

If it is Staal going the other way, you need to replace him with someone. Even if McIlrath is ready for the NHL I don't think anyone would say he's ready to carry his partner or shutdown the likes of Crosby, et all.

I think Sather will (he almost has to... no choice really) go into the season with Step, Brass, Miller and D. Moore and if need be he'll ATTEMPT to address at a later time.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Question: Rangers make a good move - All Hail Jeff Gorton.

Rangers make a bad move - Evil Overlord Glen Sather.

Come on.

And to address your post, I don't think it would be prudent to package any of those players, especially not in a deal for Eric Staal, who makes $9M.

Huge pass.

Go with what we have and make adjustments in season. Minor tweaks is all I expect and want to see.

To be honest, I haven't moved on my personal opinion on Sather for years. Dolan is the real problem, and he loves Sather. It is what it is...

However, making adjustments during the season does't leave me with much confidence that this team can even make the playoffs.

I think a major move is warranted - E. Staal was an example- but if his hit is $9mil- clearly I would look elsewhere.

I just believe they should really make a huge push for the next couple of years- before TB, FLA, the Isles and other eastern teams get stronger. This is a weird window they have where maybe Boston is the only MAJOR obstacle in the way of another Cup appearance.

I would't sell McD, or Kreider, but would understand moving anyone else...

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I take DStep over EStaal as the 1C for this team over the next 5 years.

The good thing about Stepan is that in 5 years, he'll likely have another 5 years of good play in him because he's ALREADY A 24 YEAR OLD ADEQUATE 1C.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
To be honest, I haven't moved on my personal opinion on Sather for years. Dolan is the real problem, and he loves Sather. It is what it is...

However, making adjustments during the season does't leave me with much confidence that this team can even make the playoffs.

Are you usually not honest? Recent history has already proven that the team can make adjustments during the season and not only make the playoffs, but win multiple rounds. Have we already forgotten?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
If we gut this team "going for it" then it is really going to suck if/when they don't win (sometimes the "best" teams just don't win) and we are left with an old team and no farm.

I'd like to see this team remain competitive and make more minor moves. The teams that remain competitive don't ship everyone off for aging stars.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There's that ****ing term again. True #1 Center. Wish I could blacklist that word from HF.

And to answer your question, no.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Carolina retains 10% of E. Staal's salary, he'd be making less than Nash does.

I'd definitely move one of Brassard/Stepan and some picks for him. I think he'd rebound incredibly on this team. He's one of the FEW players I think would play better here than where he currently is.

Would be weird for Jordan though, who just signed in Carolina to play with Eric. I suspect it would mean they also move Jordan's contract to another team as well.

Well, thank god you're not the GM.

Trading Stepan for Staal is ass backwards in every way.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Well, thank god you're not the GM.

Trading Stepan for Staal is ass backwards in every way.

I disagree. Stepan maxes out as a 65 point player IMO. And he can't skate, and he can't shoot, and he's been easily shut down in the playoffs.

MartysMidgetMeat

Jul 2, 2014
New York
Instead of selling out for a Proven elite #1 center the rangers should go after Nazem Kadri on the leafs. He has the potential to be a Legit #1 center and would be a great offensive piece at a less expense. I really really believe that if AV got his hands on Kadri he would absolutely tear it up here in NY.

Kadri's name has been thrown around multiple times throughout his career as trade bait and it's no secret that Carlyle and Kadri do not see eye to eye. In order to get him the Rangers would have to get rid of Brass, and another Prospect Center and possibly a draft pick, because the leafs need center like we do. What AV did with Puliot would pale in comparison with what he could turn Kadri into.

But The rangers will just sell out and go after Thorton or E staal ;_;

Zuccarello Awesome*

WARNING: CREATIVITY. IF YOU CAN'T THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, DO NOT CONTINUE READING.

THREE-WAY TRADE:

TO NYR: E. Staal and Ryan Murphy

TO SJ: Rick Nash and Kevin Klein

TO CAR: Joe Pavelski, J.T. Miller, and Dylan McIlrath/Conor Allen

Nash waives his NTC to play with good friend Joe Thornton. SJ makes a big change hoping to find the right recipe for playoff success. They currently have 4 natural top-6 centers: Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski. They can afford to lose one of them to gain a top-6 winger in Nash. They also get a top-4 RD in Klein to help fill the void left by Dan Boyle.

Carolina saves around 4 million dollars and starts to build around Pavelski as their new #1C. He's fresh off an 80 point season. I'm not so sure they'd include Ryan Murphy in the deal because of his sky-high potential, but hey I'm dreaming anyway so let me continue. They did already lock-up Justin Faulk (note: not Justin Falk) long-term and he plays the same side and is the same type of undersized offensive rover that Murphy is. The Canes also get a young center prospect in Miller, and a young D prospect in either Conor Allen or Dylan McIlrath.

The Rangers get the #1C they haven't had since Messier (I'm not counting Nylander because he was more of a product of his environment in the sense that he, Jagr, and Straka had uncanny chemistry from day 1. In a vacuum, Nylander was never a #1C, as shown by his career in Washington after he left NY. They also get a young, right-handed offensive d-man who can really provide offensive from the back end, despite his small stature. And the best thing about the deal is that the Rangers end up saving $ and the resulting lineup leaves almost 4 million in cap-space.

Kreider E.Staal St. Louis
Haggerty Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Stepan Kristo
Glass Moore Lindberg

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Murphy
Moore Boyle

Lundqvist
Talbot

Believe it or not, with that lineup, we'd be more than 3.5 million UNDER the cap.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Ryan Haggerty ($0.925m)
Danny Kristo ($0.827m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m)
Chris Mueller ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Ryan Murphy ($0.863m)
John Moore ($1.200m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Matt Hunwick ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,477,708; BONUSES: $818,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,522,292

3.5 in cap-space available to upgrade any position above currently filled by a rookie. Steve Ott could easily be brought in and have a lineup like this:

Kreider E.Staal St. Louis
Stepan Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Ott Haggerty/Kristo
Glass Moore Lindberg

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I disagree. Stepan maxes out as a 65 point player IMO. And he can't skate, and he can't shoot, and he's been easily shut down in the playoffs.

Cause 65 point centers are so common around the league, of course.

He can skate, he can shoot, and 15 points in 25 games while facing just brutal competition all playoffs is pretty damn good. Look at the centers he had to face, Giroux, then Crosby, then Desharnais, then Kopitar. That's really rough competition.

And call me crazy but if Nash could ****ing finish, Stepan would've probably had 20 points.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
If I recall correctly, the cap is calculated based on the average daily value of salaries paid. Therefore, if a team is under the cap for half the season, the team can be over the cap for the remainder. Can someone confirm if I'm right?

Teams are not allowed to exceed the cap once the season starts.

MetalGodAOD*

Eric Staal is a lazy and disinterested hockey player. He'd be the epitome of a Rangers move, especially if you move a young top 6 Center for him.

Buy low on a young Center who's fallen out of favor with their team. That's the only way this team is going to get a true #1 for years to come without drafting one:

Kadri would be a good piece. Try to land Burmistrov's rights and see if he's interested in coming back. Wait for the right deal and stop blowing assets on overpaid older guys.

MartysMidgetMeat

Jul 2, 2014
New York
The thing is i don't thing Brassard is a bad center. I actually like him a lot. but if the rangers can move him and miller/Lindberg for Kadri id be very happy.

If the Rangers can't get a Kadri or similar player then they should Keep Brass and leave the centers the way they are.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Firstly,

No there is no chance.

What you mean with true No 1 center, I am not sure there are 15 of them in the league right now (we are kind of inbetween generations). We have like the top guys, Malkin, Sid, Toews and Kopitar; then a group behind them on a quite a wide scale but who still IMO are true No 1s in that sense, Hank Z, Dats, Getzlaf, Nik Bäckström, Mikko Koivu (?), Seguin and a few others. Then you have the kids who are established but maybe not there yet (Matt Duchene, Ryan Johansen and co), and the centers who may be good but not "true No 1s" in that sense IMO at least, Filpulla, Bergeron (he may be clutch as hell, and so forth, but he only scores 60 pts on a helluva team); and the over-the-hill guys who of some will score a lot of pts but never hold up that level over a season + PO (Thornton, Lecav, Spezza, Dats (?) and co).

I mean of the true true No 1 centers, we are just not getting one of them in a trade. We might have had some room before the Nash trade, but its perfectly possible someone never would have become available either.

Secondly,

We don't need a true No 1 to win. We need a few things as a team, all those things don't have to come from one guy.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I prefer to get a center similar to Stepan. Have a 1a/1b combo like Boston does. Brassard on the 3rd line and we're golden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad