Speculation: Is there any chance Pittsburgh will trade Malkin?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Feel free to bring this topic up in 60 days. Its possible Malkin has slipped, its possible Pens d really is a train wreck, its possible Jarry isn't a 1, its possible Pens are 6 seed in east 7 points out of a playoff spot in a brutal division. Its also probable Malkin will play better, possible Jarry is a 1, and probable Kapanen on line 1 is a huge upgrade over E Rod. Lets give this more than 2 games.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's what I'm saying isn't it? Avs are plenty good enough at C in the top 6. They have no need for an enigmatic 9.5mil #2C when they will need every penny going forward.

42786932.jpg

Reactions: Hamurai

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Knee jerk reaction

2 games dude.

Using your logic oilets should McDavid and Leon

Locker up before pens fans wake up
Yes, overreacting after 1 game. However, using the op logic, this is nothing like trading those players. Both would be apart of their future. Not their rebuild. Makin would not be apart of their future if penguins were going to have a rebuild.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Most contenders are at the cap ceiling and cannot take on 9.5M caphits. I mean, that's insurmountable.

Most contenders also have disposable cap hits if superstar players become available.

If you don't see 9.5 mil that could theoretically go the other way in a Malkin to Colorado deal, you aren't looking very hard.

Reactions: BHD

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Probably give a better chance at Malkin being traded than Crosby but still think its slim.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If the Pens are trading Malkin, then they have tried everything else. Currently they have tried nothing else, so no, Malkin isn't going anywhere.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pens have been slowly dying for a few years now. Not just a couple of games. The bandaid fixes they used years ago won’t have the same effect they did when their core was younger. I wouldn’t be surprised if a major retool is in their best interest. Whether Crosby or Malkin would want to be apart of that or not is another question.
Bandaids like Jack Johnson? Malkin led the league in 5v5 p60 last year as 33-34 year old. He’s gotta NTC. The more interesting question is what happens after next year when his contract is over. I would guess, if he wants it, a Backstromesque deal.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
It looks like Pens done and need another rebuild, and Geno still can do some damage with proper linemates. I wouldn't mind to see him playing with, say, Kaprizov. He's signed for another 1.5 years, so his contract isn't that bad.

He isn't moveable. 9.5 million with two years left. No one is going to give up assets and add 9.5 with the times right now. Our idiot GM should have moved him two years ago. Our window is closed and he wants to continue running out the same core.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
They're 1 and 2 and outshot the opposition in all three games. I know everyone is salivating at the prospect of the Penguins finally dropping out of contention but good lord lol. Keep it in your pants for at least a couple more games. Time is undefeated you'll get your Pens schadenfreude soon enough

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Malkin being traded is insanely unrealistic. He holds the cards and has basically stated he only wants to play in Pittsburgh. What's more likely than being traded is him going back to the KHL after his last 2 seasons in his contract.

I believe he'll sign on a final farewell contract here and retire around the time Sid does.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He isn't moveable. 9.5 million with two years left. No one is going to give up assets and add 9.5 with the times right now. Our idiot GM should have moved him two years ago. Our window is closed and he wants to continue running out the same core.

He's ridiculously moveable if the Penguins were so inclined. They're not inclined because there isn't a move that makes sense for them to deal Evgeni Malkin. Trading Crosby or Malkin absent them clamoring for a move out of Pittsburgh or it being such a no-doubter deal that he'd be fired would be a fireable offense for your GM.

Like it would almost need to be double "fair" price for the GM not to be strung up by his own entrails.

You really think that if Evgeni Malkin was put on the market that a 2x9.5m would be ANY kind of restriction? I could see teams not wanting to pay multiple high draft picks and/or prospects, but his contract is such a non-entity in this discussion.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Malkin being traded is insanely unrealistic. He holds the cards and has basically stated he only wants to play in Pittsburgh. What's more likely than being traded is him going back to the KHL after his last 2 seasons in his contract.

I believe he'll sign on a final farewell contract here and retire around the time Sid does.

Technically, he said Pittsburgh or Montreal, that’s it. As much as having Malkin with a Habs jersey on would be so cool, it won’t happen (even if he becomes UFA).

I doubt Malkin ever leaves Pittsburgh. Going in the KHL is the 2nd best guess at this point.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad