Is there an issue with the ice at Rogers?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Is it just me or did the ice appear horrendous at Rogers last night. Not just last night but all season. There were times against the Canucks I noticed the puck slow/stop as if it hit a patch of water or slush.

Being at the game it looked almost wet all night, the puck was like a ping pong ball on chipped pavement. The building was really warm, is that part of problem? It was cold in Edmonton last night so why the issues, did they sell short on a decent ice machine?

I can't help but think our home record would improve with some half decent ice. I understand the ice in many buildings around the league suck, but we finally have a team that can use good ice to their advantage.

Any thoughts?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I think it was mentioned after the first couple home games that the ice wasn't as good but they were working on solutions to it.

I agree with you though, it still looks horrible.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it was mentioned after the first couple home games that the ice wasn't as good but they were working on solutions to it.

I agree with you though, it still looks horrible.

they have the same problem they had at Northlands--the arena is being used almost every day and the place is getting no rest time for the building.

I am pretter sure if they could get an Oil King game at noon and an Oiler game at 7pm---they would do it

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
they have the same problem they had at Northlands--the arena is being used almost every day and the place is getting no rest time for the building.

I am pretter sure if they could get an Oil King game at noon and an Oiler game at 7pm---they would do it

I think the extra activity in the building is the biggest reason. People forget that when the ice at Rexall was the best in the world there wasn't much of anything else going on in that building. Once Northlands started getting into the entertainment business is when it started to deteriorate. This is just the way it's going to be.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Northlands supposedly had the best ice in the league so not sure what you mean by it has the same problems since they basically had no problems at Northlands.

You may be right & the schedule at Rogers may be a problem as far as ice quality goes though.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Northlands supposedly had the best ice in the league so not sure what you mean by it has the same problems since they basically had no problems at Northlands.

You may be right & the schedule at Rogers may be a problem as far as ice quality goes though.

The ice at Rexall was utter garbage in the latter years.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Looked like they were playing with a squash ball last night lol

They sure have it alot colder in the rink now, I thought that would improve the ice, but the way the puck is bouncing im not sure.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
A couple of issues here and interesting question. Many of the people on the loge and upper balcony have been complaining about how cold it is in those areas. Seriously freezing. When a complaint was made to the OEG, they said it was because they were trying to maintain the ice.

Subsequent to that, someone I ran into at a game seemed to suggest that it is the parkade under the ice that is screwing things up. That parkade is very very warm. I can't see how PCL and OEG would not have factored this into things. Don't know enough to even tell if it is relevant. Just what I had heard.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
A couple of issues here and interesting question. Many of the people on the loge and upper balcony have been complaining about how cold it is in those areas. Seriously freezing. When a complaint was made to the OEG, they said it was because they were trying to maintain the ice.

Subsequent to that, someone I ran into at a game seemed to suggest that it is the parkade under the ice that is screwing things up. That parkade is very very warm. I can't see how PCL and OEG would not have factored this into things. Don't know enough to even tell if it is relevant. Just what I had heard.

Well if I had to guess, PCL had their eyes on one thing and that was winning the contract. Which of course fit the OEG budget. Its why I asked if Rogers cheaped out on their ice machine.

For a state of the art arena, I would think ice in Edmonton should be best in the league.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's so sad, that I thought the new building would bring good ice. They talked about having a good ice plant and all that, rather than try to spend money on upgrading Rexall which explained the bad ice back then, but I suppose that was all bull. We are a skill team that can skate, so we would benefit from good ice.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm sure I read that the goal was to have the best ice in the league. What happened to that one?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Dan Craig was on 630 ched a month or so ago, he said the ice conditions at Roger's is as expected. It takes awhile for the ice and the building to settle. Should see improvements that last half to quarter of the season. This is common with all new buildings.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dan Craig was on 630 ched a month or so ago, he said the ice conditions at Roger's is as expected. It takes awhile for the ice and the building to settle. Should see improvements that last half to quarter of the season. This is common with all new buildings.

yeah that is what i've heard as well, that it takes a while to get it "figured out"... i would expect to see better ice next year, although i doubt we'll ever get it as good as it was in rexall a couple decades ago (due to how busy the arena is now, compared to back then)

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Ford Hall probably has something to do with it. Hard to keep all that extra space cool

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Northlands didn't even have the best ice in the city.

Part of it has to do with the facility controls. They gotta learn how to control the climate and what is best for the ice in the new arena. Every facility is different. hopefully it comes around.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
no, its not actually... its actually pretty easy in the winter... just need air exchangers and outside air... in summer it may be different though, but i'm not sure

in the summer humidity is more of an issue than tempurature

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I know that the NHL stopped by as well to check up on it because it clearly needs to be better. I mean, they have the best of the best in terms of the ice plant so I don't know what their excuse is. :laugh:

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
The community rink ice is fantastic according to everyone I know who has skated on it and they share an ice plant. It's not the equipment, it's the ambient conditions around the ice sheet that are causing problems with Roger's ice.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I know that the NHL stopped by as well to check up on it because it clearly needs to be better. I mean, they have the best of the best in terms of the ice plant so I don't know what their excuse is. :laugh:

new building, new conditions for the ice guys to learn, and going to take a while to get everything figure out?

seems to be a reasonable explanation. can't expect things to be perfect right out of the gate.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hope they fix it soon. Having good ice in a new arena was supposed to give our fast skilled players an advantage. But instead we are helping boring teams have their way slowing down the game. Wonder how much the ice is to blame for the difference in our home and away records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad