Is there a worse commentator than Doc Emrick?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Bob Cole is borderline blind at his age. I've counted 4 or 5 times where's he blatantly mistaken one player for another in a game and had to be corrected by his fellow play by play partner
Yeah, we get it. Bob Cole is old. It happens to people after you're not young anymore.

But cut him some slack. He was also, like, the best ever from about 1978 to 2000.

Cole now is like Gretzky in 1998-99 or Mario in 2005-06. Still more enjoyable than most, but a pale shadow of their former selves.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Romanuk is the worst ...hands down

Cole is worse as well but give me Cole over Romanuk any day. I watch the NBC feeds over the Sportsnet/CBC feeds. The CBC intermissions are slightly better. all imo

I like Doc over these guys by a lot

Same, I watch NBC now. I like the Sens-Rags commentator right now. I'm also with you on intermissions, but that's 99% because of Milbury. I hate seeing his face and hearing him talk.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
I think in terms of knowledge and pedigree he's up there with the best play by play guys from Canada. But he has a more annoying voice. A more shrieking voice. You'll never remember him for his legendary call, because no one likes a screeching "he sccoorreesss!" falsetto.

Rick Jeanneret, also an American, is far more sloppy than Doc, is perhaps not as mentally nimble, and will never enjoy the same visibility, but he simply has a better voice for calling hockey. So you get the May Day call. There will never be a May Day equivalent from Doc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Same, I watch NBC now. I like the Sens-Rags commentator right now. I'm also with you on intermissions, but that's 99% because of Milbury. I hate seeing his face and hearing him talk.

Sportsnet should get some of this feedback. I think it worked for Cox but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I think in terms of knowledge and pedigree he's up there with the best play by play guys from Canada. But he has a more annoying voice. A more shrieking voice. You'll never remember him for his legendary call, because no one likes a screeching "he sccoorreesss!" falsetto.

I mostly agree, though I did like his call of Helm's OT goal in 2009.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
The answer is no.

I take it you've never heard Paul Steigerwald (spelling clearly wrong) call a Penguins game? Or that absolutely trash guy who sounds like his nose is constantly stuffed on SportsNet who called the Ducks-Flames Series?

"Justin Williams scores!!!"

Except it was Matt Niskanen.

This is what u get paid to do. ****ing pathetic

Bob Cole is a hockey broadcasting legend and screws up names every 5 minutes.

Gary Thorne is infamous for messing up names. He's a pretty famous, great broadcaster if I recall.

Tell you what buddy, lets toss you in the broadcasting booth and see how good you are at calling a hockey game. Let's see if you can even call regular play, much less get the names right of players you don't cover every other night.

I've got 500 dollars that says you'll be stuttering. What say you? Another 500 says you screw up more names then Emrick. Should be easy money for someone who's never made a mistake at work before.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not sure why the NHL sort used him as the voice of the NHL. I find his voice annoying and his commentating of what he sees is so fake. It's like he is selling all the NHL bulletpoints like a hired comedian during a commercial. Buy our new detergant, it's the best I swear!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Sup??

8eb8cc_6a7839a0a75d4ce19b074c01347c79eb~mv2.jpg_srz_170_252_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The guy is annoying, meanwhile Gary Thorne is calling baseball runs better than any NHL announcer calls goals, heard him with an EPIC ''and he scorrres'' call in an Orioles game this year, better than any hockey announcer.

Gary Thorne is a legend and commentating GOD, Doc Emrick is cringeworthy and awful.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Agree with the majority, he's the best in the biz for me. I suggest you just listen to games on mute from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad