Is There a Worse Announcer Than Cassie Campbell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I implied that I knew whey she is there..., I simply stated "oh I know why she is there"...

Your interpretation of what I wrote is the sexist and that is on you.

fact of the matter is that she sucks at her job and should no longer be employed doing it
So, then, tell us: Why is she there?

What is the unspoken reason?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
In a equal world people get hired based on talent or ability. She is not good at commentary. So why else was she hired? please answer the question do not deflect.
I think she was hired because she is qualified to comment on hockey. That's all.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
So, then, tell us: Why is she there?

What is the unspoken reason?

I think that they wanted to reward her for her efforts as a female Canadian hockey player and put food on her table and a roof over her head cause well, she did not earn much of a living playing for Team Canada...

why do you think she was hired?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I don’t like her commentary, her voice grates on me, the panel stuff I don’t mind as much. I prefer Kendall Coyne. I’m female for the record.
the mono tone quiet mousy voice and slow speaking pattern is terrible for a fast action game broadcast , boring as heck . get say a jennifer hedger in the booth and then were talkin

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think that they wanted to reward her for her efforts as a female Canadian hockey player and put food on her table and a roof over her head cause well, she did not earn much of a living playing for Team Canada...

why do you think she was hired?
Because she was qualified.

I don't think it was an act of charity, nor to do with her gender.

Your suggestion that this was a favour done to her diminishes her status in the workplace.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Because she was qualified.

I don't think it was an act of charity, nor to do with her gender.

Your suggestion that this was a favour done to her diminishes her status in the workplace.

She is not qualified to be a broadcaster, she has never taken any post secondary education for same...

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Every game she announces it is mistake after mistake and fumbling over simple sentences. I know she did alot for womens hockey but enough is enough, she is painful to listen to.

I honestly don't know a single person who can stand listening to her so why is she still on?
Jim Hughson

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Women can hold sexist attitudes, too. I've seen it in my own profession -- law -- for 38 years or more. Women in the legal profession are still discriminated against, by men and women.

If you don't like Cassie Campbell, that's not sexist.

If you don't like her because of the tone of her voice, that might be sexist. Are you using her male counterparts as the model of what a broadcaster's voice should sound like? If so, you might want to think about that. If not, no problem.
Why is it sexist not liking the tone of her voice? it hurts my ears as does some male commentators. I’m fine with Kendall Coyne and she’s female.
I agree with you re law, I’m in law too and women have to work so much harder to be noticed, then you get the women who say something but it’s only noticed when a male says it

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
She is not qualified to be a broadcaster, she has never taken any post secondary education for same...
Peter Mansbridge was a 20 y.o. high-school dropout announcing flights at an airport in Northern Manitoba when, without any secondary or post--secondary credentials he was hired as a broadcaster by the CBC.

I guess they thought he was qualified because he had talent. Sort of like Cassie Cambell.

He's a man.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I'm indifferent to her, Sportsnet has worse problems with their product. That being said she is an incredible homer that shouldn't call Flames games when she is on the national broadcast

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Why is it sexist not liking the tone of her voice? it hurts my ears as does some male commentators. I’m fine with Kendall Coyne and she’s female.
I agree with you re law, I’m in law too and women have to work so much harder to be noticed, then you get the women who say something but it’s only noticed when a male says it

There's been lots of documenting about women's voices and how they're perceived by men. Basically it's a subconscious bias to a certain type of male voice and women's voices by contrast sound jarring. Older men find women's voices, especially younger women's voices more annoying.

The only way to change that is for people to be exposed to women's voices in these settings on a regular basis so it's a new norm.

Most of the people who complain about the sound of women's voices are men. In broadcast a 'good' woman's voice tends to be significantly deeper than the average female voice.

Funny how women don't complain about men's voices.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Its the nails on a chalkboard thing, which is a gender biased comment that rarely gets thrown at men.

"Nails on a chalkboard" is a colloquialism for finding something grating, of which there are tons of voices in hockey that people dislike for various reasons. Any inferred gender bias is projection on your part. Cassie doesn't have a shrill or high pitched voice at all. It's her timing and delivery that are suspect.

It's okay to dislike her as a broadcast talent on the basis of her performance. This is how she would want to be graded - the same as all of her broadcasting peers.

It's not okay to dislike her simply because she's a woman in what is traditionally a male dominated space.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Tone of voice is one of the physical characteristics that can differentiate men from women.

Tone of voice is one of the things that can unfairly limit the careers of women lawyers as well as broadcasters.

I've done this a long time. I've seen judges, other lawyers and clients -- even women judges, women lawyers and women clients unfairly prefer male lawyers with deep sonorous voices over women lawyers with high -- "shrill" or "screechy" voices.

I was in court a very long time ago when a presiding judge in open court told a woman lawyer my age she should be teaching school, not practicing law.

Words hurt, change lives and limit careers.

Sexist words and attitudes are not right and they should be challenged -- by everyone.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
We watch a lot of English Premier League as were English and we both can’t stand Martin Tyler. Cassie CP may well be knowledgeable but her voice is irritating, I really don’t understand how that is sexist.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
There's been lots of documenting about women's voices and how they're perceived by men. Basically it's a subconscious bias to a certain type of male voice and women's voices by contrast sound jarring. Older men find women's voices, especially younger women's voices more annoying.

The only way to change that is for people to be exposed to women's voices in these settings on a regular basis so it's a new norm.

Most of the people who complain about the sound of women's voices are men. In broadcast a 'good' woman's voice tends to be significantly deeper than the average female voice.

Funny how women don't complain about men's voices.

I have no problem with your voice...

the fact of the matter is, at the best of the time she can't string a sentence or two together without screwing it up to the point that the viewer/listener has no fricking clue what she is trying to spit out and we have to attempt to Interpret what she is hoping to say...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
My husband hates the guy doing the Boston game tonight, is that sexist?
You're just being silly.

Is there anything that suggests he doesn't like the male broadcaster because of his male characteristics? If not, its not sexist.

Same deal with Cassie Campbell. If it's something to do with her gender -- which could include the tone of her voice -- that would be sexist. If not, its not sexist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad