Is There a Worse Announcer Than Cassie Campbell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don’t care what you have, honestly. Cape Breton isn’t Newfoundland. You’ve tried painting me with a certain brush and it’s completely, 100% untrue.

When I said “Verbal Hemorrhoids” you assumed I was taking about her voice. I wasn’t, while yes, it’s monotone. I was talking about several factors. Her overall take on what’s happening, and keys to the game, for example.
Then I've misunderstood you, for which I apologize.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I do not think she is good at her job, but most of the hockey media is ex hockey hockey player or nhl workers, and most are terrible at there job, so i dont mind her. with her hockey pedigree, she deserves the same chance as all those terrible commentators.

Oh and you guys are lucky you dont have to listen to tva port lol

Reactions: Ciao

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Peter Loubardias was a sports guy on a Edmonton tv channel who was given the opportunity to do play by play on Oilers games a number of years ago.
The first voice you hear:

While in short takes his voice is fine but for a whole game, it really wears on you. Fans in Edmonton flooded Sportsnet with requests for him to be removed and he was, only to end up doing colour commentary in Calgary.

I liken Cassie to Peter. She is intelligent and knows a lot about the game and is very technical but she has a monotonous voice which doesn't belong doing colour commentary on a national broadcast.

The Singh and Campbell - Pascale combo we had a while back made for the worst HNIC broadcast I have ever seen.

(For anyone who may think I don't her because of her sex, you're wrong. She was an amazing hockey player and is a great role model for all. It's just unfortunate that something that she can't control makes her unsuitable for something she us doing, but unfortunately that's life.)

Reactions: Ciao

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Every game she announces it is mistake after mistake and fumbling over simple sentences. I know she did alot for womens hockey but enough is enough, she is painful to listen to.

I honestly don't know a single person who can stand listening to her so why is she still on?
I don’t get to see the west Canada games often. Just a few times each year. I don’t mind her. Maybe I’m just glad to get the games.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Dude it’s nhl hockey fans, it’s one of the more racist and sexist sports and has one of the most racist and sexist fanbases, lol
True, but there's no excuse for that kind of talk here or anywhere else.

Words are important, and they have meaning and consequences. There is no such thing as harmless sexism. It shapes attitudes that eventually emerge into actions.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
True, but there's no excuse for that kind of talk here or anywhere else.

Words are important, and they have meaning an consequences. There is no such thing as harmless sexism. It shapes attitudes that eventually emerge into actions.
Yea but you’re not changing anything by arguing with boomers and incels on one of the worst forums around

Reactions: Pucklington

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
She's definitely not the worst I have ever heard on SN. Gregg Millen is the worst. Thank God he is not around this season. Paul Romanuk was awful as well. It's not like SN has a great track record.

tvilling

Jan 17, 2021
Far too much disgusting sexism in this thread. Its ignorant and embarrassing.

Here we go with the diminishing and unfounded idea that she was only hired because she is a woman. There's no evidence of that, and the expression of ypthis idea is biased and discriminatory. Sadly, it comes up many, many times with without objection or rebuke.

Now we come to the tone of her voice. Women's voices are generally higher pitched than mens'. Live with it.

Yes, you would be, and are, labeled as sexist for criticizing her her based on personal attributes related to her gender. An employer who dismissed her on gender-related characterics would violate the Human Rights Code in every province and would face sanctions for doing so -- and rightly so.

Equality, blah blah blah. Pretty Neanderthal comment.

Again, a sexist comment pertaining to the tone of her voice.

Finally, a nuanced and supportive comment that recognizes the the difficult path that women face breaking into a male-dominated profession. Well done, sir or madam. You get it.

There's nothing to suggest that her hiring is due to her gender.

The notion that gender equality takes the quality out of equality is overtly sexist.

Another baseless, sexist she was hired because she was a woman comment.

Strange. A star Olympic gold-medal winning hockey play only got her job because her little-known husband holds a mid-level executive position with a hockey team in Alberta? This is a very twisted analysis of the power dynamic to think that poor wife needed hubby to lift her up to prominence.

Bad hair, too.

Always bad form to adversely comment on a person's appearance. It also gives the impression of objectifying women.

Would she be a better announcer with better hair?

Wait. I'm not done yet with you creeps.

The US Supreme Court decided -- probably before you were born -- that formal equality is not equality. That concept went out the window so long ago it isn't even funny.

??? In what way does she leaks. Of political correctness? Is it because she is a woman?

Only in the booth because she is a woman. Hell-bent on havingba female in the broadcast.

Your basis for these disparaging comments? They are sexist and diminishing to the role of women in the workplace.

Mmm. Do you feel that way about other women -- the ones in your life, too?

Here we go with the diminishing sexist myth that she was hired because she's a girl, rather than on merit. Your source for this disparaging comment?

Good. I've watched quite a few all-male broadcasts, and don't mind if there's an all-female broadcast crew too. No criticism of you, sir or madam, for pointing this out -- but why do you call them chicks -- and why won't you mind if you're late? It gives the impression that you don't respect their work.

I'll stop now only for the sake of space, but I do take issue with every single post quoted here, except those very few that point out the realities of a gender-biased workplace. I challenge each of you to rethink what you've said.

I'm not done saving the world yet, but I stand in solidarity with this person, and a few others, who actually get it. Look at all of these horrific sexist comments, as against the few people like this good person who has something to say in response.

Evaluate Cassie Campbell's work, if you will, but not on the basis of her gender.

Its easy to see that this is a sarcastistic reply intended to point out the sexism at work, but sadly such an outrageous reply didn't even make a dent. Some even thought you were serious.

Good for you for pointing this out. It is exactly on point.

I'll stop here only for the sake of space, but I take issue with each and every post quoted here, except those very few that speak to the realities of a gender-biased workplace. I challenge each of youbto rethink what you have said.
Wow, you are really busy here what? quoting 30 members. Maybe they are all correct and you cant handle it. Relax. You can't change the truth no matter how hard you try

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
When I said she’s “Verbal hemorrhoids” I was called out for being sexist. I don’t get that. I’ve said that about Healy too, didn’t like him.

Maybe next time I’ll just keep it simple and say “She’s awful”

That might be less sexist than my other comment, I guess.
When you're using a hammer everything looks like a nail. Verbal haemorrhoids could just as easily mean the QUALITY of things being said and not the tone of voice (I'd say the latter is much more of a stretch since we're all very used to women's voices and even have a biological preference for them perhaps for maternal reasons). That poster also criticized someone saying she had bad hair, saying that was sexist lmao. Yeah, Trump gets made fun of for his hair all the damn time, and if you wanna stay within hockey then you have to only go as far back as last week when Elliotte Friedman trended on Twitter with people making fun of his bad clothing. The demand for sexism far outstrips the supply here. You really do a disservice to your cause when you have to invent laughable accusations of sexism. Boy cried wolf effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Another AZ

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
How is is that sexist and offensive? if her voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard to these posters, why are they not allowed to say that?

Women are typically put down with insults related to how they sound, look, or "affirmative action".

Rarely has to do with their skill or ability to do the job.

I do agree Cassie Campbell is not my preference, but Gordon Miller, Kevin Quinn, ect. are equally bad but you don't typically read posters commenting on them being affirmative action hires, or their voice sounds like nails on a chalk board.

I've seen posters on this board explicitly say she's a stupid b#%$, which was left on for a few days until reported.

There is a problem here.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Haters gonna hate. Only on HFBoards is it okay to bash some woman doing her job for 20 something pages while taking personal jabs at her voice etc
“Haters gonna hate.” All I did was say that Cassie doesn’t bother me and that I’m grateful to get the western Canadian games. I don’t get to watch many of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad