Is there a trend of teams losing their best players being the best thing to ever happen to them?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I was just thinking about how bizarre it was that when CBJ, Tampa, Arizona (to a lesser extent) and Carolina traded away Nash, MSL, Yandle and Staal to the Rangers that was very quickly followed by the most success those teams have had in a long time? The same thing happened with Colorado trading away Duchene, literally the next day they took off and have been on a tear ever since. The Islanders have been one of the best teams in the league since JT left for the Leafs. CBJ also losing Bobrovsky looks to be a massive blessing in disguise.

Same thing with the Bruins when they traded away Jumbo... is this a crazy coincidence or is there more to it?

Edit: also add TOR trading Kessel to Pitt.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
More coincidental. Or players just play harder to make up for the star player missing. People who think the Isles are better off without Tavares are idiots considering he’s exactly what they need to be a legit contender

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I am glad you mentioned those guys and Duchene, I'd surmise that if your franchise player is one of those players listed your franchise inst going to be that good. In Duchene, if you have a player like MacKinnon waiting in the wings all the better.

Reactions: wetcoast

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
In the cap era I think it is beneficial, because the NHL is a team game and depth is king. I am not undervaluing star players, but merely saying it's harder to compile a championship calibre roster when your cap is clogged by massive contracts that eat up a large chunk of your cap.

Reactions: Jaska and barbu

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think HF has a generous definition of "franchise player".

Ok, franchise players can be replaced with best players. But for the most part... Staal, Nash, Marty SL, Tavares and Thornton were all franchise players and will go down as the best players to ever play for those teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Edit: also add TOR trading Kessel to Pitt.
When Toronto traded Kessel the following season they still did finish last place overall, however they weren't as bad compared to the 2017 Colorado Avalanche or this years Detroit Red Wings, because they were only 1 point behind Edmonton for 29th overall and finished with 69 total points.

It was also pure luck that they won the draft lottery because I have said if Kessel is never traded chances are they win a few more games with him, so that means they never finish in last place overall and get the numbers associated with the team who finishes in last place. That also means Edmonton would have got the 1st overall pick in 2016 and selected Auston Matthews.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
How many cup winners in the last decade or so have walked away from their lead dog player? Crosby Malkin? Kane Toews? Ovechkin Backstrom? Kopitar?

Boston trading Thornton and winning the cup 5 years later would be the closest. Mostly the remained middling teams.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Ok, franchise players can be replaced with best players. But for the most part... Staal, Nash, Marty SL, Tavares and Thornton were all franchise players and will go down as the best players to ever play for those teams.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but are you saying Thornton was the best player to ever play for the Bruins?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Thornton isn't better than Orr, Bourque, among others.
Tavares isn't better than Potvin, Bossy, among others.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wow! Thornton better than Orr and Esposito. Tavares better than Trottier, Potvin and Bossy. Now I've heard it all.

Reactions: CupInSIX and DaveG

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't know if JT is a great example, the Islanders greatly improved their coaching and goalies after he left.

Not sure they improved their goaltending Greiss has been with us for awhile and I don't think much separates Halak, Lehner and Varlamov, now goalie coaches yes. 100% though coaching in general. You probably can ad they had a bunch of defensemen who sort of hit the peak in terms of moving past growing pains(ie defense generally peak in their mid to late 20s)

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Got it. You think Joe Thornton is/was a better player than Bobby Orr, amongst many others. I will take note of that in your future valuations of players...

Reactions: JoVel

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
This seems like after you define franchise player you could see if what you are describing is happening more or less now. Also, as others have pointed out, Pit, Was, Chi, LA and even Bos (c’mon Thornton was a long time ago) have been very successful by keeping their franchise players. My guess is you are seeing a pattern that doesn’t exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad