Is there a prime Tomas Holmstrom in the league now

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
When was Homer's prime? Would it have been right after the 04-05 lockout

As much as we remember him for standing in front of the net.

He was a smart player that knew the angles of where exactly to stand, and where you would screen the goaltender the best.

But there was more to his game than just that.

Nowadays lots of players score in-tight, pay the price goals. But who really exemplifies the traits and qualities that made Tomas Holmstrom successful in the league

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
In his first years I remember him setting up teammates from behnd goal after winning his share of boardbattles. His hockeysense was underrated.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Despite his struggles recently...

Thomas Vanek...

He's about the best I've seen at deflecting pucks in front of the net.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Homer was the master of net front deflections though, Hornqvist is more of a close in shooter. I think JVR may resemble Homer more in the fact that lots of pucks go off him and into the net heh.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Tomas "Coach told me to just stand in front of the net" Kubalik.

Was drafted by Columbus in 2008 and played 12 NHL games for us. Was traded in 2013 in an AHL deal to Winnipeg, then went to Prague Lev in the KHL. No idea what he is doing now, but he sure was great at being a big, stubborn body screening the goalie and redirecting the puck.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Alex Chiasson really plays a similar game or at least a lot of Ottawa fans thought he did when he first became a sen

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
In today's NHL, anyone who played like Holmstrom would have the majority of their goals negated by goalie interference penalties.

He was the product of a bygone era.

That's reaching but nobody who is like Holmström in this league today.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In today's NHL, anyone who played like Holmstrom would have the majority of their goals negated by goalie interference penalties.

He was the product of a bygone era.

Eh...Holmstrom had a ton of goals waived off, probably about half of them by sheer reputation alone.

There isn't a Holmstrom around, Hornqvist plays the closest style to it, but his game is more varied. He plays where Holmstrom played, but his goals are more rebounds than deflections.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Holmström was really one of a kind, just fearless in front of the net.

Us TBL fans are very happy to have Ryan Callahan on our team who brings some of that but it's still different (even if he's also fearless in front of the net), but Holmström is Holmström really, and it's hard to find someone who is just like him in todays NHL.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Patrick Maroon has some potential there. Not sure if he'll reach it.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Holmstrom was underappreciated around the league big time IMO. He made it look easy...and yet nobody else can do what he did as well as he did it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad