OT: Is there a hockey memorabilia appraisal service in Edmonton?

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
I need some really old items appraised, the main one being a team signed Oilers stick from the WHA (with Gretzky's signature before he started signing his autographs with 99) and presented to me by Al Hamilton when I was 10 years old.

If there isn't an appraisal service, or ones that aren't very good, how about online appraisals? I googled but can't really tell which is good/reputable. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

NN

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
we are your best bet for appraisals, haven't you seen the trade proposal thread?

anyway the stick you are referring to is junk, you should throw it out front of your house, just DM me your address and approx. time of throwing out. thx

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I need some really old items appraised, the main one being a team signed Oilers stick from the WHA (with Gretzky's signature before he started signing his autographs with 99) and presented to me by Al Hamilton when I was 10 years old.

If there isn't an appraisal service, or ones that aren't very good, how about online appraisals? I googled but can't really tell which is good/reputable. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

NN

I can help you with that. Maybe $100.00. But you are nice so I pay you $120.00.

When I pick up?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are you trying to sell it? If so I'd just take whatever you get told throw an extra 100 or 200 on it and put it on let go or that facebook market page.

Unless you are desperate to move it. The real issue with stuff like this is finding the right buyer. I saw a few Gretzky things go through some local auctions and the price can drastically vary.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wooden sticks are kind of useless nowadays plus the integrity of the stick has been compromised with all the pen scribbles on it. I’ll give you $10 plus gas money to drive it to my house.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
In 1989 after the Flames won the Cup, I won a Gary Roberts game-used stick signed by the whole team. I've never looked to sell it, because it's kind of cool (even though it's the Flames), and I've always wondered what it might be worth.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Interesting timing. Found a couple of those mini-stick giveaways from a game in 2014 of Curtis Joseph. I was about to throw them out, but thought maybe there is some kind of value to them. Thanks for the ideas on the shops.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Things are worth what people will pay for them. Auction prices go up and down, but having some sort of provenance (even a picture of the stick from years ago) can greatly increase value.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
In 1989 after the Flames won the Cup, I won a Gary Roberts game-used stick signed by the whole team. I've never looked to sell it, because it's kind of cool (even though it's the Flames), and I've always wondered what it might be worth.

giphy.gif

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Oilers memorabilia seems like a tough sell right now compared to last year when they were actually doing well. I have some McDavid and other items won from NHL Auctions but I'm having a tough time selling. It doesn't help that I live in MB now also.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Worth a lot because it was his rookie pro season and he did not sign much that 1st season . I would Ebay auction it at starting bid of $500

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Also keep in mind, even though you could get something for it now, the longer you keep that the more it will go up in price. Fourty years from now that stick would prob get 10x the price.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Also keep in mind, even though you could get something for it now, the longer you keep that the more it will go up in price. Fourty years from now that stick would prob get 10x the price.
This isn't always the case. 10X is also laughable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers memorabilia seems like a tough sell right now compared to last year when they were actually doing well. I have some McDavid and other items won from NHL Auctions but I'm having a tough time selling. It doesn't help that I live in MB now also.
Should be okay with McDavid. He's one guy that holds his value pretty decently. The kicker is it depends on what it is though. Seems nowadays an autograph isn't what it use to be. However, you have something special signed like a limited canvas print or anything game used and now you have something real special and rare.

What did you end up winning?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Should be okay with McDavid. He's one guy that holds his value pretty decently. The kicker is it depends on what it is though. Seems nowadays an autograph isn't what it use to be. However, you have something special signed like a limited canvas print or anything game used and now you have something real special and rare.

What did you end up winning?
PM me

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
This isn't always the case. 10X is also laughable.
I'm an antique dealer, rarely with sports items, but I have a lot of experience. Things can easily go up in price by a factor of ten, antiques in general are volatile. It's about making the right sale at the right time. He could get three hundred for it now and it's possible he could get three thousand fifty years from now. There's lots of factors in play and as I said earlier a high high price will only be reached with some form of proof that it's authentic.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'm actually looking for the same thing. No plans to sell but I'm curious. I have a game used Gretzky Titan stick from '87 autographed by the entire team.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
100% try waynes sport card across from the mall
They are no5 open mondays or sundays
Wayne is the man :thumbu:

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I'm actually looking for the same thing. No plans to sell but I'm curious. I have a game used Gretzky Titan stick from '87 autographed by the entire team.

With all the details of provenance you can gather, along with (if you choose) some sort of professional authentication, a great piece of hockey history like that will only ever increase in value. What a great piece.

Reactions: sepHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad