Is there a captain amongst our current group of prospects and roster players?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
what does a great captain even do, is he a two way player that can handle all the tough criticism that comes from the media and talk to the media well, If thats the case than i think rielly or kadri will make good captains, kadri and rielly both talk very well to the media and have shown great talent. I think kadri should be captain for the future until a guy like rielly, or marner is ready. If he produces this year and we sign him longterm, we should have him be our leader for a couple of years. He is fiesty, draws lots of penalty's for the team and has good skill and can play a physical game. If he improves his two way game even more he will fit in with other two way captains like kopitar, towes, getzlaf, possibly ror(not saying kadri is going to be elite as the first 3 but just able to lead like them)

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Phaneuf. After him? Who knows. Rielly seems like the most logical choice down the road to me. Perhaps Harrington as well if he develops well in the NHL.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
imo not 1 person on this team including prospects have captain material...the closest is dion and he a pretty mediocre one

You know that almost a third of our prospect pool has either been a captain or at least worn a letter at some point in their careers, right?

Finn, Brown, Marner, Reilly, Harrington, etc, etc,.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
How about Dion? And you can't say Bracco, Kapanen, hell even Brown or Nylander are captain material until they actually start succeeding at the NHL level. You can't have a captain who's constantly in danger of being scratched.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You know that almost a third of our prospect pool has either been a captain or at least worn a letter at some point in their careers, right?

Finn, Brown, Marner, Reilly, Harrington, etc, etc,.

Depending on what you mean by career, I think it's a safe bet that almost every guy that makes it to at least the AHL has worn a letter at some point.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Phaneuf will hold onto it for now, until he is traded or bought out. (The latter being several seasons from now I should hope)

He'll pass it off to Rielly methinks.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Just wondering out of our current prospects and roster players who you guys would make captain?

My vote goes to Brown. He gives it everything he has got every shift, seems to very intelligent and respectful. I could see him as a guy for others to look up to and lead by example. Just seems like the perfect team guy that everyone likes.

For next year? No. For a few years down the road? There are a few possibilities.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
imo not 1 person on this team including prospects have captain material...the closest is dion and he a pretty mediocre one

I vote for... Captain Morgan.

captain-morgan_custom-24997c9c0452ac1a908e515014a67896765496a1-s6-c30.jpg

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Rielly and Marner are future captains. One of them will be our captain, that is almost a guarantee.

Nylander, Brown, Harrington, Gauthier all could potentially wear the A.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

This is the best thing I've ever seen.

#MoForCaptain2016/2017

But I wouldn't mind if Nylander got it either. We did have a pretty good swedish captain at one point, and you can tell the guy's work ethic and personality is bar none.

I see it as:

C - Morgs
A - Mitch
A - Willie

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'm not trying to evade the question, or avoid making a difficult choice among players, but, I just think that the next captain (AFTER Phanuef, as he will be Captain as long as he is here imo), will emerge on his own and it will become very clear.

And again, I'm not trying to duck the question, I just think it will take care of itself and I"m not against having fun guessing or predicting or anything like that.

The management and coaching, through leadership and ensuring that the team is growing with integrity and character ALONG with skill and abilities will set the table for the right person to emerge.

To qualify I think the player should be minimum top 6 forward or top ranked dman (just for logistical reasons mostly as the player should be on the ice in critical situations), but, after that, IT'S ALL ABOUT CHARACTER.

Rielly has potential, but, lots of prospects like Nylander could emerge, jmo of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad