Is there a captain amongst our current group of prospects and roster players?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just wondering out of our current prospects and roster players who you guys would make captain?

My vote goes to Brown. He gives it everything he has got every shift, seems to very intelligent and respectful. I could see him as a guy for others to look up to and lead by example. Just seems like the perfect team guy that everyone likes.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Rielly, Brown, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen.

Finn and Dermott could do it if they hit their potential.

Bracco seems to love talking, and he has the skill.

I could see Lööv as a hard as nails 2-way kind of leader.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Rielly.

Skilled, smart, player who speaks well. He'll be the next C.

I mean, he was at the Leafs draft party answering questions about Marner. No one else was.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rielly or Marner.

Rielly could do it, but Marner might have even a better aptitude for it. He seems to take a lot of pride in doing what is right for his team.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Reilly. But no need to name him that until he takes on that role down the road after Phaneuf is moved. I'd prefer to see him continue to develop as he has been before putting any additional weight on his shoulders.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Reilly. But no need to name him that until he takes on that role down the road after Phaneuf is moved. I'd prefer to see him continue to develop as he has been before putting any additional weight on his shoulders.

He's such a gym rat that he'd probably just start squatting that extra weight on his shoulders :sarcasm:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Id say Rielly, Dermott or Bracco. I don't see Marner as the captain. Not saying he's a bad leader or anything. I just don't see him being the captain. The captain doesn't have to be your best player. I think Marner will be our best player and will lead on the ice through his play. He'll get the A. It's probably best if we take the pressure off of him. I also find Bracco, Dermott and Rielly are much more natural with speaking to the media and look comfortable. Marner says the same answers and sometimes looks a little uncomfortable. We should just let him forcis on playing

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Dion is the captain unless he's dealt. After that event, I'm sure the players will make it known who's best suited. Usually goes to the one with the combination of skills and work ethic.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
Gauthier, anyone? Not sure about his leadership capabilities, but his style of play seems to fit the role of captain.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Most Likely: Morgan Reilly - he just seems like such a leader in that room already at 21. When the rest of the revamped prospect pool starts to graduate over the next 3 years, Reilly will actually be an older veteran mentor approaching the ripe 'old' age of... like.... 23/24! :laugh: I laugh - but I still think it's 80% likely going to be Reilly - he'll be the old hand, have experienced the rough times, but be just hitting his prime (as I would expect Dion is dealt in the next 12 months, then they will roll 3/4 assistants for a year, THEN name Reilly).

Dark Horse: Willie Nylander - There just seems to be something about his swagger that makes the other players gravitate towards him. He's tight with all the Swedes, but apparently also with guys like Brown and the Goat. All the Marlies players seem to want to be around him (this is just a feeling from interviews and video). He will definitely wear a letter at some point - I get the impression that when he talks, his teammates listen, and it's more than just "The Hair" ;) It's actually pretty impressive when you consider he was only a Marlie for half a year.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I would say all of Reilly, Brown, Marner appear to have leadership qualities...not sure yet if any of them have it in them to be the Captain of the Leafs but I would not be surprised to see them with letters on their jersey in the future.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
captain-morgan_custom-24997c9c0452ac1a908e515014a67896765496a1-s6-c30.jpg

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I dont see Nylander as captain material to be honest

Rielly forsure is the number 1 candidate. I can also see Connor Brown making a case.

Rielly does have it all though; skill, interviews, likability, size (he's a monster). I can see people looking up to him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Brown bc players respect hard work and someone who gives their all. On top of that, medias and fans always love players who were not the blue chip prospects and someone who worked their way up to success.

Lastly, I think with the TO market, having someone like Brown(worker type) is better suited than the superstar type.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If he becomes a top 4 defenseman, I think Matt Finn would be an excellent candidate to be the Leafs captain.

Having said that, I think the front runners at this point are Rielly and Brown with an outside shot for Marner and Percy.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
imo not 1 person on this team including prospects have captain material...the closest is dion and he a pretty mediocre one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad