Is the summer the time to finally dump Spezza!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What pissed me off so much from Spezza today was his brutal play on the PP.

I don't care about defensive and 5on5 cause those get beat to death but oh man was he horrible on the PP, the one place you'd expect to see him thrive.

I wanna see him and Karlsson on different units. Both are puck possession players and there is uncertainty on who the actual threat is.... even though it's supposed to be Karlsson.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
What I saw today....

18:30 made a terrible pass
16:00 covered nobody
9:00 covered nobody
8:30 turnover
5:40 Turn over
5:30 tripping penalty
3:15 loses faceoff on PP, puck out of the zone.

And that was only the first period. The +- stat has SOME validity and shouldn't be dismissed.

One has to wonder when a person will document one player's "miscues" on a team he "supports". Are you obsessing much????

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What pissed me off so much from Spezza today was his brutal play on the PP.

I don't care about defensive and 5on5 cause those get beat to death but oh man was he horrible on the PP, the one place you'd expect to see him thrive.

I wanna see him and Karlsson on different units. Both are puck possession players and there is uncertainty on who the actual threat is.... even though it's supposed to be Karlsson.

karlsson plays on both units. The other units were worse the one with turris and zibby almost gave up some good short handed chances

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
karlsson plays on both units. The other units were worse the one with turris and zibby almost gave up some good short handed chances

I wonder if Turris decided just to play in the offensive end like Spezza does, if he would be close to a point per game player.......In my eyes Turris is the #1 centre on this team and it's not even close. Just for the record, I am not a Spezza hater. He was my favourite player after Hossa left. When people come out and say that players cheat, who do you guys think that they are talking about. Is he ever the first man back on his line?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
turris doesnt have the vision or strength that spezza has

to be a PPG player you need to be very special. Turris is not that

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
turris doesnt have the vision or strength that spezza has

to be a PPG player you need to be very special. Turris is not that

Oh man, I burst out laughing. You mention that like he uses it all the time.

Spezza has strength but rarely does he use it. He always goes fishing for it. Turris has just as much strength, he's ridiculous on fore-check and on boards on occasion.

Also, Turris has plenty vision, he just doesn't get a chance to use it as much cause he is more concerned with playing 2 way game.

I don't think Turris will ever be PPG but he could be 70 point 2 way player which is a top 10ish center in the league.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
I don't understand these people who expect the team to keep Spezza. He's over 30 with 1 year left on his contract. He's not going to resign on a short deal. Do you want to keep this player for 6 - 7 million a year for the next 5-8 years on a NTC/NMC? He's an excellent offensive player, who thrives on the PP. But he's not going to be a core player when this team is truly ready to compete, which at a minimum is 2+ years from now....I would guess closer to 4 years. He'll be a complimentary piece. Players of his ilk don't age particularly well: Jason Allison, Jeremy Roenick, Pierre Turgeon, etc.

In fact, the similarities between this and the Yashin situation are pretty striking. Granted, Yashin wanted more money. But if Ottawa was willing to pay him, he would have gladly stuck around. But he was not a player that would ever lead this team to the next level. The team recognized this and subsequently traded him for I think what most people would consider an excellent return.

Spezza has never carried a line by himself outside of 2011-2012. Even then when things were going poorly, he was put back on a line with Alfredsson.

Spezza is a great opportunity to continue the rebuild properly. Trade him and maximize the return for something similar to Yashin's return: A high draft pick, a good young player, and a low end player.

Teams need to mortgage the future when they are in that contending window. Ottawa is nowhere near this point. They could make the playoffs next year, they could even make it out of the first round...but anybody who has been a fan of this team for more than a few years know what a truly competitive team looks like. One that can dictate pace, scoring, and control. This team isn't it, hasn't been the last 2 years regardless of the playoffs, and needs more than a few changes to make it so.

This team needs to do a proper rebuild with players who play both ends of the ice correctly. The trades in 2011 were only of secondary pieces. Only Mike Fisher and maybe Chris Kelly could be considered core pieces, and that is pushing it with Kelly. Trading Ruutu, Kovalev, Elliot, and Campoli were just dumps to allow space for fresh blood. Considering all of them but one is out of the league less than 3 years later tells you how valuable they really were.

So a rebuild can't be really considered a rebuild when you only trade one core piece. It's a retooling...and not far enough.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't understand these people who expect the team to keep Spezza. He's over 30 with 1 year left on his contract. He's not going to resign on a short deal. Do you want to keep this player for 6 - 7 million a year for the next 5-8 years on a NTC/NMC? He's an excellent offensive player, who thrives on the PP. But he's not going to be a core player when this team is truly ready to compete, which at a minimum is 2+ years from now....I would guess closer to 4 years. He'll be a complimentary piece. Players of his ilk don't age particularly well: Jason Allison, Jeremy Roenick, Pierre Turgeon, etc.

In fact, the similarities between this and the Yashin situation are pretty striking. Granted, Yashin wanted more money. But if Ottawa was willing to pay him, he would have gladly stuck around. But he was not a player that would ever lead this team to the next level. The team recognized this and subsequently traded him for I think what most people would consider an excellent return.

Spezza has never carried a line by himself outside of 2011-2012. Even then when things were going poorly, he was put back on a line with Alfredsson.

Spezza is a great opportunity to continue the rebuild properly. Trade him and maximize the return for something similar to Yashin's return: A high draft pick, a good young player, and a low end player.

Teams need to mortgage the future when they are in that contending window. Ottawa is nowhere near this point. They could make the playoffs next year, they could even make it out of the first round...but anybody who has been a fan of this team for more than a few years know what a truly competitive team looks like. One that can dictate pace, scoring, and control. This team isn't it, hasn't been the last 2 years regardless of the playoffs, and needs more than a few changes to make it so.

This team needs to do a proper rebuild with players who play both ends of the ice correctly. The trades in 2011 were only of secondary pieces. Only Mike Fisher and maybe Chris Kelly could be considered core pieces, and that is pushing it with Kelly. Trading Ruutu, Kovalev, Elliot, and Campoli were just dumps to allow space for fresh blood. Considering all of them but one is out of the league less than 3 years later tells you how valuable they really were.

Phenomenal post, this is what I've been saying for months now.

Even if Spezza is good now. Will he still be as good when this team is firing in all cylinders 2-3 years from now? Does Spezza even fit the mold of the team going forward?

I think Ottawa is just keeping Spezza around to mold Turris and Zibanejad into better players so they'd get a look at possible options for the future.

We also got Lazar coming up too, baby.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

You are talking hockey. Spezza is a budget thing. Melynk paid him in the early years of the deal, you think he is going to let him go when he is in his lower paid years.

I don't under stand people who don't get that the primary concern of this team is the budget and not actual hockey performance.

Melynk will get his moneys worth, Murray will do his best to squeeze this welfare team into the playoffs next season and Spezza signs elsewhere next summer.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
You are talking hockey. Spezza is a budget thing. Melynk paid him in the early years of the deal, you think he is going to let him go when he is in his lower paid years.

I don't under stand people who don't get that the primary concern of this team is the budget and not actual hockey performance.

Melynk will get his moneys worth, Murray will do his best to squeeze this welfare team into the playoffs next season and Spezza signs elsewhere next summer.
I also cant see Melnyk letting a player go when his cap hit helps to get the team to the Cap floor and the real money paid out is much lower. Melnyk would love a team full of such players.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

So a rebuild can't be really considered a rebuild when you only trade one core piece. It's a retooling...and not far enough.

Great post. :handclap:

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa

:clap:

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
I think everyone will agree Thornton is/was better than Spezza.

That was not why Thornton was traded. He was traded because he wasn't willing to play Bruins hockey.

Yes, a winning and proven philosophy. They stay away from soft, lazy, 1-dimensional players and go for 2-way hard working players. They are never in a situation where they have a liability on the ice. While the Sens are constantly burned by players like Spezza standing around waiting for the offense to part of the game to start.

I too wish Murray knew how to build a team. Sens need half the roster sheltered while the Bruins can play any line in any situation. Bruins value a player that makes their team better, more than a player considered better.

Well they won a Stanley Cup, another cup final appearance and have been a top team for years now. I'd say they got a winning philosophy going.

Bruins hockey as we know it wasn't in existence when Thornton was traded. Thornton was primarily traded (and possibly unfairly traded) because they lost against the Habs twice in the playoffs while being the heavy favourites, and most notably in 2004 when he had no points in 7 games. The people running that team at the time were all fired subsequently.

Even then, they went and signed Marc Savard right after - an offensively gifted playmaker with questionable skating and questionable commitment to playing without the puck.

The only reason why trading Thornton didn't hurt the Bruins that much was because they could sign Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard in the same off-season. Even if Melnyk had money and was able to spend to the cap, there's no way Ottawa will attract an in his prime talent, let alone two in one off-season.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Bruins hockey as we know it wasn't in existence when Thornton was traded. Thornton was primarily traded (and possibly unfairly traded) because they lost against the Habs twice in the playoffs while being the heavy favourites, and most notably in 2004 when he had no points in 7 games. The people running that team at the time were all fired subsequently.

Even then, they went and signed Marc Savard right after - an offensively gifted playmaker with questionable skating and questionable commitment to playing without the puck.

The only reason why trading Thornton didn't hurt the Bruins that much was because they could sign Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard in the same off-season. Even if Melnyk had money and was able to spend to the cap, there's no way Ottawa will attract an in his prime talent, let alone two in one off-season.

Stop proving me wrong! :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Would you describe our captain as a battler? Is he going to get better over the next 5 years?

Spezza is what he is, he battles for the puck in the same way that all finesse players battle for the puck (Karlsson). Get better? We know how good he can be, and we've seen it this year since his return from injury. There is no reason not to expect him to play at that level when healthy in any season. His career speaks for itself

they don't regret the Kessel trade due to the cup, but no doubt they'd welcome star offensive players, Krug has been a godsend offensively on the PP for them.

The cup win is key in that opinion for sure. Not sure a game seven victory over a listless Canucks team is proof that they are better without Kessel, but a win is a win and they can definitely hang their hat on that. They'd take him back in a heartbeat if offered.

You just don't get it. They knew at the time of the trade that both would become stars, but not the type of player they wanted. Hell they even talk about it on their draft day in 2013 on the show "behind the b", that Seguin will be a 80pt scorer

In the end Spezza has a high level of skill but can't take care of the puck or get it back when he loses it. It takes a guy like Alfie or Hemsky to insulate Spezza.

Oh I get it, it's just not the truth. They viewed each player as having issues at trade time, and thought they were getting a solid deal, both players have since exploded. Now both trades look pretty bad, especially the Kessel one given that they drafted Seguin. The B's haven't been dominant in the playoffs, or been favoured over several West teams. They'd be a LOT scarier with a few guys that could dominate offensively. If either of those two players are not the type of player you want as a GM, you should be fired immediately.

Who cares if Spezza needs insulating, insulate him, the guys scores more than anyone else on the team. He is what he is, so use him appropriately and move on. Insulating forwards are much easier to find than offensive powerhouses. If and when Spezza is traded, we aren't likely to get back the type of player you guys drool over, because those guys have MORE value. We'll end up with a Thornton or Heatley deal. We don't need anymore middling players, beacuse we've drafted a ton of talented ones already. We need star power.

Get it?

We don't need a 1 dimensional forward who puts up points in the regular season and doesn't step up in the playoffs. And yes a player doesn't have to be as good as another to be considered in the same class there can be small gaps. Didn't think it was that hard to understand....

So you're saying lets have a guy who isn't good defensively and gets shutdown in the playoffs as captain and first line centre. As long as he isn't an average 1st line centre, we can win a cup. hmmmm good point....

Doesn't step up in the playoffs? Given that you've already failed in the first line, I'm going to ignore the rest of this post... Not to mention you end up putting words in my mouth.

Exactly. Spezza isn't a bad player by no means, he just doesn't fit on a championship team as a main cog.

And you know this how? Pretty sure every team that has won the cup has had star offensive power on it. I think you're confused with the idea that he shouldn't be our ONLY main cog.

I think everyone will agree Thornton is/was better than Spezza.

That was not why Thornton was traded. He was traded because he wasn't willing to play Bruins hockey.

Yes, a winning and proven philosophy. They stay away from soft, lazy, 1-dimensional players and go for 2-way hard working players. They are never in a situation where they have a liability on the ice. While the Sens are constantly burned by players like Spezza standing around waiting for the offense to part of the game to start.

I too wish Murray knew how to build a team. Sens need half the roster sheltered while the Bruins can play any line in any situation. Bruins value a player that makes their team better, more than a player considered better.

Well they won a Stanley Cup, another cup final appearance and have been a top team for years now. I'd say they got a winning philosophy going.

Spezza and Thornton are cut from the same cloth. Spezza is not lazy, his 1 dimension is better than most players collection of dimensions, and he is hardly a liability on the ice. The team full of lunch pails rarely worked, and has worked once for the Bruins. They are a favourite in the east, sure, but the best teams in the league have offensive star power.

Your felating of the Bruins is nauseating.... Uhg, they were 10 minutes away from a first round loss last year against a young leafs team. For how awesome you think they are, they are no more effective than the Penguins who are built entirely different, and that's not to mention the top teams in the West.

You seem to forget that the Bruins sucked for several years, but of course that doesn't fit the narrative.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
The Thornton trade shouldn't even be brought up really because the Bruins lost that trade. That trade+ the results on the ice led to a house cleaning in Boston. Chia came after Thornton was already dealt. I can tell you that if they deal Spezza no one here will be happy with the return. We could very well get a garbage return which is what the bruins got. The only good thing the bruins got was cap space which they used to sign Chara but they still lost the deal considering Chara wasn't a lock to sign with the bruins. There isn't that luxury out there this season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Anyways, this debate has been beaten into the ground. I like enjoying the team the way I do, and others have the right to think their way.

If Spezza is traded, then there it is, I'll get behind whatever new players come on board and hope for the best. I don't sugar coat his play in my head, but sure as s**t haven't created a dialogue where he is the problem.

You fans aren't anything new, this tearing apart of your own players has been going on forever, it's in some people's nature.

Your type of people used to also say that a team couldn't win with Brett Hull either... Until they did... Twice

But the haters are always crickets by the time it comes around to pay the butchers bill.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Your type of people used to also say that a team couldn't win with Brett Hull either... Until they did... Twice

But the haters are always crickets by the time it comes around to pay the butchers bill.

Hull as a WINGER did pretty well riding shotgun with Modano/Niewuendyk and then with Detroit Yzerman/Fedorov/Datsyuk, and most critics noted he changed his style from the Blues days.

Signed the hater

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I don't understand these people who expect the team to keep Spezza. He's over 30 with 1 year left on his contract. He's not going to resign on a short deal. Do you want to keep this player for 6 - 7 million a year for the next 5-8 years on a NTC/NMC?

Spezza was just given the captaincy and is a point per game player over his career. He just found chemistry with Ales Hemsky and was tearing it up in the second half, after an injury plagued start. He may demand 6-7M for the next few years, but it's not unreasonable to think that increasing cap + aging Spezza will mean this is a front-loaded contract where we eat a lot of cap now, and in a few years when we contend, he's got a very friendly cap hit. Not too hard to think that Murray may keep him around.

He's an excellent offensive player, who thrives on the PP. But he's not going to be a core player when this team is truly ready to compete, which at a minimum is 2+ years from now....I would guess closer to 4 years. He'll be a complimentary piece. Players of his ilk don't age particularly well: Jason Allison, Jeremy Roenick, Pierre Turgeon, etc.

I think he'll still be a core piece in 2-4 years. May not be the go-to centre, necessarily, but will probably platoon with Turris and/or Zibby. That doesn't seem like a terrible scenario, to me.

I don't agree with your comparables. Roenick played a grinding game, and Allison played with no mobility. Spezza hasn't been a grinder - he's a peripheral player, and is far better at skating, even when injured, than Allison was when healthy.

Turgeon is the only comparable that I agree with, and even then, his decline can probably be attributed to the Star's coaches - Hitchcock and Tippett - who are defense-first coaches, not two-way, puck-possession coaches.

There are very few similarities, IMO, between Yashin and Spezza. Yashin got dicked around in the early days by a management team that was praying Daigle would break out. He felt underpaid, and resented the team for it. He made demands and dictated how he was going to be treated.

The 'won't lead this team to the next level' stuff is purely subjective. I will again call attention to the fact that Chara, Thornton, Yzerman, Alfredsson, (and many others) have been called out for their perceived inability to lead a team to the Cup. All of them are now considered among the best leaders in the league. Fans like to think they have a good read on the players, but we rarely have candid access to the room to assess Spezza's leadership first hand. We don't know how the players respond to his pep talks, to his play, etc.

Who on this team has carried a line?

Alfredsson is arguably the only player post-lockout to 'carry' a line for the Senators. The team made a huge mistake letting him walk.

I agree that Spezza is a good opportunity to bring on new pieces.

The problem is that people have been impatient about this rebuild / retool after just three seasons. How much patience will we have if we turn into the new Edmonton if we blow it up again?

Moreover, will we even be able to land the right pieces for an unsigned Spezza?

Have we mortgaged the future? The Ryan trade is the only real example, and Ryan may still end up being a better player than Silfv, Noesen, and that 1st. Moreover, does re-signing Spezza mean mortgaging the future? I think not.

If Kelly isn't considered a core player, then the core was literally Fisher, Spezza, Alfie, Phillips, and Karlsson. Only Phillips has lost value of those, and I doubt anybody would have traded Alfie back then after he said he wanted to stay.

Responses in bold.

I agree that the team could trade Spezza, and that the right trade won't hurt us too badly short-term and may make the roster and system mesh together better. But suggesting it's a foregone conclusion is a stretch, and I have reservations about the leadership and decline comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad