Is the slapshot obsolete?

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
Don't get me wrong. Obviously goals can still be scored with the slapshot, and they are, and always will be. I also believe them to be potentially very exciting, and even potentially intimidating when it's someone like a Chara (who has a cannon of a slapshot) doing it.

But... with today's super "whippy" composite sticks, players like Kessel are showing that one can get "simple" wrist-shots off with such tremendous velocity, that I think slap-shots just take too long to setup and telegraph too much, by comparision.

In fact, when I think of games I've seen in decades past compared to today, I think there are already considerably fewer slapshots being taken (this is just a guess and I could be wrong) because I think players have figured this out already.

Comments?

Mint Berry Crunch

Bring the crunch.
May 8, 2009
Long Island, NY
It's not a move that will often result in a goal. Nowadays, slapshots are more a precursor to deflections than a primary weapon. They can still be deadly, but the windup allows enough time for a) the goalie to get into better position to make a save and b) defending players to get to the puck handler in order to dislodge the puck or disarm said player.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
They're more rare because most of the time team's go for the deflection play. It's easier to do that with a wrister from the point than a slapper.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
No. Still has a place on the blueline and the PP, when there's more time and ample room for deflections between the shooter and the net.

I think we'll see more and more snap shots, though, as a sort of compromise. Allows some of the power of a slapper without the wind-up.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
It's worth noting that the Nash, who leads the league in ES goal scoring, pretty much never takes slapshots.

That said, as posters above have noted, the value of the slapshot is obvious to anyone who has ever watched the Capitals or Lightning go on a powerplay.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
That said, as posters above have noted, the value of the slapshot is obvious to anyone who has ever watched the Capitals or Lightning go on a powerplay.

Those are one timers, though. That type of slapshot isn't obsolete, since it doesn't make it as easy for the defense/goalies to get in the way. But regular wind up slapshots definitely aren't very common any more.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
It will always have a place in the game, especially on a one timer. Look at the list of 50+ goal scorers over the past 15 years and pretty much every guy on the list had a killer one timer on the power play.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Last edited:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
well this just happened last night so I'm gonna go ahead and say no...
[nhl]2014020463-904-h[/nhl]

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
With the increase in equipment size and sticks that are more specialized to increase wrist shot velocity, players that can beat a goalie cleanly with a slapshot are becoming increasingly uncommon. Players need to adapt and add the half snapshot to their arsenal. Sundin and Lemieux both had great ones.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Shooting as a whole is becoming obsolete.

WTF :laugh:

No, slapshots are not obsolete at all. They may be used differently, but it seems like many teams in the NHL try to set up the big one timer slapper on the PP.

You still see direct slappers, but the player needs a good amount of time and space to get it off.

Perfect example is this Daniel Sedin goal from earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T36nqBQUqTQ

Is it effective? Absolutely. But time and space is an absolute must as shown in the video so that is probably why a traditional slapshot (the "Mats Sundin Slapshot") has been replaced by the big one-time slapper in most cases.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Those are one timers, though. That type of slapshot isn't obsolete, since it doesn't make it as easy for the defense/goalies to get in the way. But regular wind up slapshots definitely aren't very common any more.

Nah, Stamkos still scores occasionally with straight up beat-the-goalie slapshots. Not always a one-timer.

Granted, that's Stamkos. Most players can't do that anymore.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
What no I still live in the 90s havnt watched a game since the 80 slap shots are so in !!!!!! BTW I voted for Harper and I did not have sex since the 50's

Anyone with a brain will agree with the OP honestly this is a great thread.

Slapshots are obsolete.

One timers are great and wristers are as dangerous as ever.

Snap shots have replaced clappers. I don't even remember the last time I actually saw someone take a slapshot that the goalie didn't redirect straight into the corner while taking a sip of coffee.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
What no I still live in the 90s havnt watched a game since the 80 slap shots are so in !!!!!! BTW I voted for Harper and I did not have sex since the 50's

Anyone with a brain will agree with the OP honestly this is a great thread.

Slapshots are obsolete.

One timers are great and wristers are as dangerous as ever.

Snap shots have replaced clappers. I don't even remember the last time I actually saw someone take a slapshot that the goalie didn't redirect straight into the corner while taking a sip of coffee.

Then you probably dont watch hockey very much.

DyerMaker66*

That's exactly it though, only the hardest shooters(Weber, Subban, Chara, etc) score with slapshots these days. Alot of players(not just the hardest shooters) used to score on slappers alot more often in the 80's and 90's whether it was from the point or coming down the wing.

Crosby does occasionally, he just usually doesn't have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad