Is the Olympic Break Positive or Negative for us?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can't help but thinking that this Olympic break came at a horrible horrible time for us.

Sure, we will be fully healthy, but we are only a week from that anyway. We have been one of the best teams in the NHL over the last 10 games and even further before that.

So, did this Olympic Break hurt us more then anything?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Meh, I think you can look at it both ways. I think JVR and Kessel are both pretty banged up though, they could have used the two weeks to heal up.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think neutral.

Bernier gets some rest - you know that Carlyle is going to ride him into the ground
McClemment - if he has concussion like syndromes - gets two weeks to rest
Bolland - two weeks of Barb training [i'm assuming].
everyone else - rest.

I am really hoping - [evil thoughts], USA doesn't make it through, and JVR and Kessel uses that rage to unleash against the Atlantic/Metropolitan division.

i think it also will give the leafs that mini training camp again with EVERYONE there. they can hammer down the defensive zone issues, really reinforce things that make us work.... sure everyone gets this, but I feel we'll benefit. I think we'll benefit from the break.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Negative. No way around it.

- An 11-2-1 streak just got interrupted.
- We're not banged up enough to need the time off.
- Our schedule in March is horrendous because of the layoff.

The only pro I can see is that it will give an overworked goaltender, who's never started a full season, some rest.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Negative. No way around it.

- An 11-2-1 streak just got interrupted.
- We're not banged up enough to need the time off.
- Our schedule in March is horrendous because of the layoff.

The only pro I can see is that it will give an overworked goaltender, who's never started a full season, some rest.

Other teams have a more horrendous schedule because some teams have 2 or even 3 games in hand on us. We get to play less games than pretty much every team around us.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If it gives Bolland time to come back and play anything like he was before his injury it will be a plus.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
It's a negative because our two best forwards who we generally rely on to play the most minutes have to play extra games. And not just any games, extremely intense ones. Teams are going to try to pummel Kessel physically and make JVR pay in front of the net more than your average regular season NHL game.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I see maybe 1 team that we are hard pressed to beat (Boston) and we've beat them this season too (albeit without Rask in net). Every other team is beatable. The break allows us to get healthier and thats a plus.

Pretty sure Rask was in net when we beat Boston.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Positive for sure... Holland, Bolland, Ashton, Mcclement, Smith will all likely be healthy when the break ends, we were pretty much rolling 9 forwards last night because of injuries

Kessel/JVR/Kulemin will also have more time off than they would if we were playing the normal NHL schedule, and the Olympics isnt as physical as the NHL either

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Gives Bernier some rest, hopefully US medals to give Kessel and JVR a little taste of what vicotory feels like, Bolland gets some rest, Bozak will forsure be 100%, Gleason and Phanuef rest of their bumps and bruises,and hopefully McClement is healthy for the next game. All in all it's needed.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm in the minority thinking it's positive I guess.

Bolland is still out, and we'll need him as close to 100% as we can come March, what with that gruelling schedule. McClement just went down, so e needs time to heal up as well. Bernier's faced 35-40+ shots on numerous occasions and this is his first season as a starter, he deserves a rest for the way he's carried this team.

Phaneuf is also overworked, a rest is good for him. And I don't know what's wrong with Joffrey, but maybe a reset over the break is needed, perhaps he's nursing a minor injury.

I don't think a rest can hurt us all that much. The only worry is our guys heading to the Olympics, hoping nothing happens to them.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
As a sens fans it's a negative if you're a team that's heading to the break on a high unless you're an elite team of course. I remember that season we were on a huge tear heading into the break. We were leading the division over Buffalo and we thought we'd just cruise to the finish line after the break. After the break our team went into a horrendous slump where the team went from leading the division to thoughts of whether or not we'd even make the playoffs. We ended up winning 6 straight games at the end of the month that put us in but it was still stressful at times.

That being said what you have in favour over us at that time is better goaltending. Bernier is way better than Elliott would have been for us at that time.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i'd say its bit of a good thing cause our players can rest and ease up for a bit from the media pressure. but mostly it's a negative cause when your team is on a hot streak like we are, we shouldn't stop. we have to keep going until we reach our peak.

this break is definitely beneficial for a team like the canucks though. that 7 game losing streak is ugly and this break gives them a shot to hit the reset button once its over.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm in the minority thinking it's positive I guess.

Bolland is still out, and we'll need him as close to 100% as we can come March, what with that gruelling schedule. McClement just went down, so e needs time to heal up as well. Bernier's faced 35-40+ shots on numerous occasions and this is his first season as a starter, he deserves a rest for the way he's carried this team.

Phaneuf is also overworked, a rest is good for him. And I don't know what's wrong with Joffrey, but maybe a reset over the break is needed, perhaps he's nursing a minor injury.

I don't think a rest can hurt us all that much. The only worry is our guys heading to the Olympics, hoping nothing happens to them.

we can sit beside each other
it's only negative if you make it think it's negative

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Positive.

Nice break for guys to get healthy, especially Bolland.

Good opportunity to give Bernier a break heading into the stretch.

And let's face it, we were probably coming due for a slump, too!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Every team riding a hot streak wants to keep playing, but I'd say the return of Bolland will even things out.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Pretty obviously a negative.

We are red hot right now and our 2 best forwards don't get a break.

Alexander Baigle

Jun 27, 2011
Great White North
I don't really care about positive or negative. I've loved the streak that the leafs have been on, but if we're really a playoff contender and if we are realistically going to challenge for the cup within 5 years, we should be able to sustain success after a two week hiatus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad