Is the myth that Auston Matthews does not show up in the playoffs finally over?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So how come he was called for roughing and not cross checking? The fact the called it roughing is what makes it look like a bad call.

Does it really matter? This happens all the time. I was a little surprised they made that call in a playoff game, but it wasn’t the first time in this series, or even game that i was thinking that

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agree with most of the others that it’s too early. Just like it was too early to say that he’s a top 5 NHL player.
Way too many people jump the gun one way or the other on young players.

One criticism that I do agree with is that he needs to be more engaged on a regular basis. He’s got a great shot but he’s far too passive in retrieving the puck and defending. Lots of time to improve on the intensity level though as he’s still young and definitely has the talent.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He was a no show last year, you can argue all you want but if he showed up and carried the play, the outcome might've been different.

This year he's showed up in the last 2 games, he was pretty invisible in games 1 and 2.

He needs to continue tearing it up now, I still haven't seen him take over a game like MacKinnon has or McDavid in the past

I think it's a mistake to compare Matthews to either of those two. Matthews is a great 40 goal franchise center but hasn't proven he's up there with the elite centers (yet).

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
he's been inconsistent so far, he'll have good games, and he'll have Stamkos games where i didn't know he was dressed for the game unless i check the lineups

too early to tell tho, allow for more games to see if there is a trend

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He was a no show last year, you can argue all you want but if he showed up and carried the play, the outcome might've been different.

This year he's showed up in the last 2 games, he was pretty invisible in games 1 and 2.

He needs to continue tearing it up now, I still haven't seen him take over a game like MacKinnon has or McDavid in the past

Only someone that didn’t watch Game 1 would say he was invisible...terrible take.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Matthews is elite, but the Leafs are scrambling for solutions at the moment. Do they start Hutchinson given Freddie's erratic play tonight? Does their winning games 5 and 6 in a previous season mean anything?
Where was Marner? Is he injured to the point you have doubts about a long-term contract?

There are a lot of questions here, and only a Leafs series win can adequately answer them.
Was that a serious question about starting Hutchinson? Freddie certainly didnt have his "A" game but none of the goals strike me as being his fault.
Marner injured to the point there is doubts about a long term contract? He has been the Leafs best player in the series, what are you talking about?

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
He needs to be more engaged. Needs a play maker on his wing. I dont think Johnsson and Kap are a good fit for him.

Reactions: Oryxo

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Your best players need to be your best players at this time of the year. He was good tonight, 2 goals and a post, but outside of tonight, he's been invisible. I didn't think he was great in game 1 either like some here are claiming.

From a Bruins fan who's watched him for 11 playoff games against my team now in a calendar year, his issue isn't so much the goal scoring, it's the fact that when he's not doing that, you don't really notice him on the ice.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
In the 2017 playoffs Auston Matthews had 4 goals and 1 assist in the Leafs six game series against the Capitals.

However non Leafs fans on here instead focused on his 1 goal and 1 assist in the seven games against the Bruins from last years playoffs.

This year after four playoff games Matthews currently has 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points.

So my question is will Matthews being called a no show in the playoffs be over with from non Leafs fans, even though we have the sample size from 2017 to show he never should have been referred to as that.

So, you are saying that his solid 4 games this year disproves he was a ghost in 7 games last year?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So, you are saying that his solid 4 games this year disproves he was a ghost in 7 games last year?
I'm saying that Matthews has 3 goals in the last two games along with an assist, when everyone said he did nothing during Games 1 & 2. So they assumed he would have the same performance like he had in last years playoffs, even though those same people conveniently forgot he was great in the 2017 playoffs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honestly I don't notice him much when watching these games. Sure he's a good player but he just doesn't have that part to his game where he dominates and is always noticeable.

But he's still young and I will be a little patient cause he is still on his ELC and still learning the playoff game. But once his absurd contract kicks in next year, I wont be giving him a free pass and will expect him to dominate.

If he gets paid as a top player in NHL, he needs to play like it

Last edited:
Reactions: varank

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
He shows up, but he just isn't as good as he is in the regular season. Just like Rick Nash, Steven Stamkos and others.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
What a weird thing to worry about- look, there's backlash against Matthews because Leafs fans won't shut up about him and he hasn't performed very well in the playoffs so far. He has plenty of time to change that, but it's a weird time to feel validated when your team just lost a first round game and he finally showed up. Just, like, stop talking about him. Stop trying to justify his contract, stop talking about how he's one of the best in the league, just let the results speak for themselves. Other fanbases don't do it, not to the same degree. Let the playoffs play themselves out and speak up then, but jesus, it's a 2 goal game in a loss. Nice game, hope he can do it more and then start talking.

Reactions: dukeofjive

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
A couple games won't end the myth but if he continues to put up points and Leafs win series then yes. He has a huge target on him after signing that contract and rightfully so. He needs to win a series or two before putting any myth about playoffs behind him. Winning this series would be huge for him and Leafs for sure though.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Matthews played great in Game 1 and was unlucky that he had a shot go off the post and Rask stopping him in the final seconds of the 2nd period. So it's easy to say when he didn't register any points, but still played a great game with multiple scoring chances.

He’s unlucky that he missed the net and that Rask made a save... what?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad