Is the myth that Auston Matthews does not show up in the playoffs finally over?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In the 2017 playoffs Auston Matthews had 4 goals and 1 assist in the Leafs six game series against the Capitals.

However non Leafs fans on here instead focused on his 1 goal and 1 assist in the seven games against the Bruins from last years playoffs.

This year after four playoff games Matthews currently has 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points.

So my question is will Matthews being called a no show in the playoffs be over with from non Leafs fans, even though we have the sample size from 2017 to show he never should have been referred to as that.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
He was a no show last year, you can argue all you want but if he showed up and carried the play, the outcome might've been different.

This year he's showed up in the last 2 games, he was pretty invisible in games 1 and 2.

He needs to continue tearing it up now, I still haven't seen him take over a game like MacKinnon has or McDavid in the past

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He was a no show last year, you can argue all you want but if he showed up and carried the play, the outcome might've been different.

This year he's showed up in the last 2 games, he was pretty invisible in games 1 and 2.

He needs to continue tearing it up now, I still haven't seen him take over a game like MacKinnon has or McDavid in the past
Matthews played great in Game 1 and was unlucky that he had a shot go off the post and Rask stopping him in the final seconds of the 2nd period. So it's easy to say when he didn't register any points, but still played a great game with multiple scoring chances.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If others can make other topics when they thought Matthews was a playoff no show like last year, why can't it I do the same thing after he's had back to back games of success when it comes to his goal scoring?

Besides it coming across as completely insecure? Well, it’s also premature. He’s had two good games in four statistically.

But really, it’s the need for validation. Just... why? You aren’t helping the perception of Matthews here.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Still not performing anywhere close to where he should be.Going up the Bs top line isn’t making it any easier on him.

Much better game 3&4 so things are trending up for him but I don’t think his lack of performance is finally over.

Reactions: Kallio

Palmetto

Apr 17, 2019
Charleston
No point worrying about narratives so early in a career... Some fantastic players just get shut down in the playoffs. And that's not meant as a snark, it's just the way of the game.

What is it now, 10 or so points? In three years, as a 21 year old, playing the leafs kryptonite twice. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Reactions: Doothpick

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides it coming across as completely insecure? Well, it’s also premature. He’s had two good games in four.

But really, it’s the need for validation. Just... why? You aren’t helping the perception of Matthews here.
The same people who bashed his play in last years playoffs despite having the evidence of how well he played in 2017 was also insecure and premature.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The same people who bashed his play in last years playoffs despite having the evidence of how well he played in 2017 was also insecure and premature.

Perhaps, but it doesn’t beg for validation. Matthews needed to be better. Some of your own fans were criticizing him too. Two games doesn’t eliminate the previous two, and it has no impact on any future games. Making a post like this in the playoff board, looking for validation... it’s just not smart, man. What do you hope to accomplish?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Way too early to say whether or not he’s a no show. Just as it was premature to label him a playoff choker last year, it’s also premature to claim he’s not based on him doing ok in the Washington series and having 2/4 games where he’s showed up so far in this series.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps, but it doesn’t beg for validation. Matthews needed to be better. Some of your own fans were criticizing him too. Two games doesn’t eliminate the previous two, and it has no impact on any future games. Making a post like this in the playoff board, looking for validation... it’s just not smart, man. What do you hope to accomplish?
My feeling is if a lot of non Leafs fans wanted to keep bashing Matthews for his play in last years playoffs and say he's a no show despite the evidence from his 2017 playoffs, I can say he's now doing better than last year.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My feeling is if a lot of non Leafs fans wanted to keep bashing Matthews for his play in last years playoffs and say he's a no show despite the evidence from his 2017 playoffs, I can say he's now doing better than last year.

You have fun with that. I’m just trying to politely tell you that this thread was a bad idea. It won’t help the perception of Matthews, and it doesn’t come across well for you either.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Meh. Two good games out of four. Definitively better than last year but the next up to three games will tell the tale.
He definitely has the opportunity to remove a lot of doubts. Or reinforce them.
Let’s wait until the series at least is over.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Some points will keep the wolves away...but a good portion of Leaf fans are expecting him to drive the net with one Bruin hangin off him,while another hacks him and bury the puck in the top corner...or something like that! He is doing OK ,he has been better than his point tally shows,but I am expecting more when he has the puck.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I haven't noticed him too much.

That pass from Marner was incredible.
Have to agree. That's one of the quietest 2 goal games you'll see tonight. Credit to him for getting opened and finishing on that filthy pass by Marner. The other goal is one I'm sure Rask definitely wants back.

Matthews has been better in game 3 and 4 than in 1 and 2, but he can and should be bringing more. Marner has outperformed him substantially in this series.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
AM's reputation may be premature, but when you get that rep it tends to stick.

Joe Thornton has had a playoff run where he lead his team in scoring in 18 games and then at age 36 was close to a point per. Still often sited as a playoff choker. Maybe he is? I dunno.

But if you care about Matthews reputation the only way that gets cleared out is a dominant run and probably some sort of hardware.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has been better in game 3 and 4 than in 1 and 2, but he can and should be bringing more. Marner has outperformed him substantially in this series.
If Matthews was able to score on that shot in Game 1 which hit the post or his chance right before the 2nd intermission, no one talks about him not showing up in the first two games. Although like I said before he played great in the first game despite not scoring a goal.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I thought it was stupid before these last two games.

Dude is barely 21, 5 goals in 14 playoff games (now 8 in 17 which is a ~40 goal pace) is pretty decent for a guy that young. Not everyone can be MacKinnon and explode onto the playoff scene, some guys can take a bit to figure it all out - not that we should be making determinations about a player based on a 14 game sample size anyway.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If others can make other topics when they thought Matthews was a playoff no show like last year, why can't it I do the same thing after he's had back to back games of success when it comes to his goal scoring?
is the sampling larger that supports a no show, or does it support a world class talent that dominates games?

That said guy is pretty young, maybe the answer is the sample size no matter what side you are on is way way way too small to make such a judgement.

Reactions: CrypTic and Sojourn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad