Is the draft lottery working?

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
If the lottery was stopping tanking, then why did the last two years have the last placed teams...

1) Have the worst regular season in since the dead puck era (Avs)
2) Have a team that doesn't even own their 1st round pick sell off their stars, which people would call tanking in any other years (Sens)

The lottery clearly doesn't work to stop tanking/rebuilding, and we already knew it was worse for league parity.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I guess the main reason of the draft is to make the league as competitive as possible. By letting the worst teams get the most promising prospects and bounce back. Otherwise the league should remove the draft and let the players decided where to sign by themselves.

The draft lottery is only benefiting the teams that’s not stuck in the basement. I don’t think the lottery is working, and it’s not positive for the league in general.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
they need to limit it to 1 1st overall in any 5 year period. there's teams that have never drafted first and teams like oil and devils get to draft first all the time. otherwise the lottery is good, kings were losing on purpose late, cant reward that.

Reactions: haveandare

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I guess it's that time of year again.

I never cared much about the draft rules or lotteries because as long as we all have the same rules it should balance over time. In theory.

Another poster pointed out that tanking and rebuilding look quite a bit a like and that is true. The league making a symbolic gestures to help make the on ice product a little better is reasonable. I would much rather pay money to see a bad team trying to win than one trying to lose.

Generally these threads display self interested opinions, teams that are usually good want everyone in the lotto or simply don't care, teams that are bad want assurances they did not suffer for nothing.

My own experience as a Leaf fan has been pretty meh except for the Matthews year. Every other year we did not move so it barely seemed to matter. In hindsight we'd still be done our rebuild even if we'd missed Matthews because of JT but if we'd missed on both we'd still be in the thick of it. Teams that need #1C are usually getting them one way and that way is far easier with a top pick than a middling one.

I guess the only thing I don't like about the current set up is you can drop too far for my taste. Imagine of Ottawa held their pick and now they are at 4? That would suck massively. I don't think there is a solution that will make everyone happy.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Well you go from drafting a kid who likely will have an immediate impact to drafting a kid who is 2-3 years away at minimum. So yes it does affect the rebuild.
Maybe Doughty shouldn’t have tanked so hard at the end.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
they need to limit it to 1 1st overall in any 5 year period. there's teams that have never drafted first and teams like oil and devils get to draft first all the time. otherwise the lottery is good, kings were losing on purpose late, cant reward that.

And I don't think a cup winner should be in the draft lottery for 10 years after winning a cup.

So LA and Chicago should be off the board.

The Kings didn't get 1st overall. The Kings have drafted in the top 3 4 times in franchise history. Once in the last 20+ years. The highest in recent memory was #2 when they picked Doughty(And fell to #2 after winning their last game which moved them ahead of the Lightning in the standings.). This team, on paper, was supposed to compete for a spot. It clearly didn't turn out that way. So because they managed to win it five years ago, they should be barred from a high pick?

I don't care if they don't have a 1st. They won a cup RECENTLY.

I think there needs to be more scrutiny about a recent cup winning team getting a high draft pick over a horrible team stuck in the basement getting a high draft pick.

The Crapfest teams actually deserve it. Recent cup winners really shouldn't be favoured.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
If the lottery was stopping tanking, then why did the last two years have the last placed teams...

1) Have the worst regular season in since the dead puck era (Avs)
2) Have a team that doesn't even own their 1st round pick sell off their stars, which people would call tanking in any other years (Sens)

The lottery clearly doesn't work to stop tanking/rebuilding, and we already knew it was worse for league parity.

Agreed... Teams still 'tank' .. Not by giving up but by GMs doing their job and trading away players... then the team just plain sucks...

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

Why? Just because you’re picking first overall doesn’t mean that you’ll get the best player in the draft and find instant success.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What if Pittsburgh barely missed this year... Drafted Hughes, then won another 3 cups.

Shouldn't that be a bigger concern for parity in this league than if the Oilers or Devils got another 1st overall?

Reactions: Wanderson

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
As a red wings fan it kinda sucks being bad three years in a row, and dropping in the draft all three years. We aren't even trying to lose we just suck. Would be nice to be rewarded with a top pick one of these seasons but I guess we'll just keep on being mediocre until the lottery balls fall in our favor, maybe next year, or maybe five years from now.

Canucks have gone thru something similar, but it appears they hit the lottery with Petterson at least. Hopefully one of our prospects can hit like that, though it is unlikely.

The reality is that there is no perfect solution but I think the system can be improved. Maybe factor in previous draft positions into the lottery weightings. Like if a team wins the lottery, their lottery chances in subsequent seasons go down temporarily. Or in our case, make it so we stop dropping in the draft at least D:

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I just wish they had measures to prevent teams from getting top 3 picks over and over again... lottery had that intention I think but its not working.

I prefer just a reverse order draft but if you get a top 3 pick you cannot get another one for another 3 years. So if your last place 2 years in a row you'd move back to #4 the 2nd year and the next team down that hasn't been in the top 3 gets moved up to number #3.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What if Pittsburgh barely missed this year... Drafted Hughes, then won another 3 cups.

Shouldn't that be a bigger concern for parity in this league than if the Oilers or Devils got another 1st overall?

The people who want extended lotteries don't care about parity. They just want their team to get high draft picks while skipping the 'rooting for a team that sucks' part of that arrangement.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I just wish they had measures to prevent teams from getting top 3 picks over and over again... lottery had that intention I think but its not working.

I prefer just a reverse order draft but if you get a top 3 pick you cannot get another one for another 3 years, so if your last place 2 years in a row you'd move back to #4 the 2nd year.

Why would a lottery have the intention of preventing teams from getting multiple top 3 picks? It literally helps that happen by denying poor teams talent.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The lottery is an ineffective tool and should be scrapped. To have bouncing numbered balls determine the future of an nhl franchise is absurd. If "tanking"-i.e. not playing their best players- is a concern then punish the team in some other fashion rather than trying to destroy a fan base. Teams should be able to bring up prospects for experience to enhance team prospects in the following year every bit as much as teams can rest key players leading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Put the non playoff team names in a hat. Pull them out one by one. There’s your draft order. Tank nation dies. Hallalluia.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As a red wings fan it kinda sucks being bad three years in a row, and dropping in the draft all three years. We aren't even trying to lose we just suck. Would be nice to be rewarded with a top pick one of these seasons but I guess we'll just keep on being mediocre until the lottery balls fall in our favor, maybe next year, or maybe five years from now.

Canucks have gone thru something similar, but it appears they hit the lottery with Petterson at least. Hopefully one of our prospects can hit like that, though it is unlikely.

Prior to the Oilers really hitting rock bottom, people forget we were a mediocre team that was too good to draft high, and too bad to make it into the playoffs.

Drafting 14, 13, 14, 17, 13, 15, 22, 14, 25, 6, 22, 10

Before drafting Hall, we got a decade of busts, scrubs and grinders.

It sucks knowing you're not anywhere near a cup for at least a decade or more, and being competitive hurts both short-term and long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad