Is the Brass for real?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
We all better hope so. The Rangers are in serious trouble if he can't get to 50 points or so.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
from what ive seen, brassard doesnt have the best shot...which makes him more of a playmaker. thats fine, if you have an elite skillset, which he really doesnt.

hes got fantastic vision, and a great ability to hold on to the puck...often times too long, but that happens with possession guys. hes defintiely got a better shot than blowmez, but its in the hagelin end of a shot, not a scary shot, but nothing that screams SHOOOOOTTTT like Gabby.

I think Brassard has way more tools than Stepan, but I think Stepan is smarter than Brassard, and is also way better along the boards which helps a ton for Torts' game. AVs game may suit Brassard more, since i think hes a (slightly) better skater than Stepan and a better passer (albeit not by much)

I think 60 points is probably what Brassard could max out at, unless hes playing with Nash steadily..then he could maybe hit 70....maybe.

Nice player, but hes not going to carry a line.

i liked how he played in the playoffs, shows hes got "it"...for the most part....even in the bruins series you could see him TRY to take over games...it didnt work, but the fire was there.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
I loved his game at the end of the season, but it's hard to take it with anything but a grain of salt. The guy is really talented, everybody will tell you that. However, consistent production has been his Achilles heal ever since he broke into the NHL.

As I see it, both Stepan and Brassard will be the "X factor" for the Rangers next season. Stepan needs to prove that his play last season was actually due to a breakout and not a flash in the pan. Brassard needs to prove that he is finally ready to produce at a consistent level.

If both of these guys play to their potential, the Rangers will finally have some balanced center depth. I have a feeling that Stepan is more likely to reach his potential than Brassard, but that is for another thread. All I know is that for now, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Brassard comes up big again. I love his style of play and he is a great asset when he wants to play.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
When I watch jagr during these intense playoff games, I see a little bit of Brass there...

So Brass = Jagr lite... I will take it.

Moore = McD Lite

Now we just actually need Jagr. Speaking of which, he's a free agent this year :p

keLtic9

Feb 18, 2009
Brassard is very streaky and we need to be ready for that. Also, he was obviously a fit for Torts' system. Who knows how he will be in AV's...

Wait and see approach here. Nobody should put expectations to high on him.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
b8f5e7dd615a92b2d5.jpg

Praise him

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Brassard is a 40-50 point guy. Thats what I expect next year.

If that makes him the real deal then yes. Hes the real deal.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He's a borderline 2nd line center who isn't physical, average at best defensively. And nothing special as a skater.

I don't have high hopes for him.

The idea that he will suddenly blossom I just can't agree with. He has been in the league long enough. He is what he is

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's a borderline 2nd line center who isn't physical, average at best defensively. And nothing special as a skater.

I don't have high hopes for him.

The idea that he will suddenly blossom I just can't agree with. He has been in the league long enough. He is what he is

Why not? Change of scenery, part of a good team for the first time, still relatively young. He's only 25, his biggest issue is consistency, I don't see why he can't bring a more consistent effort every night, now that he's on a playoff team. It just amazes me that people can apply "he is what he is" to a 25 year old center.

Kershaw

Why not? Change of scenery, part of a good team for the first time, still relatively young. He's only 25, his biggest issue is consistency, I don't see why he can't bring a more consistent effort every night, now that he's on a playoff team. It just amazes me that people can apply "he is what he is" to a 25 year old center.

Because after 5 yrs of NHL experience and little progression made, what you see is usually what you get. Technically anything could happen and Brassard can be one of the few players who drastically change their careers in their mid 20's like MSL/Weiss, but you can't really count on that because more often than not, very rarely does a player start to progress after 5 seasons in the league.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Because after 5 yrs of NHL experience and little progression made, what you see is usually what you get. Technically anything could happen and Brassard can be one of the few players who drastically change their careers in their mid 20's like MSL/Weiss, but you can't really count on that because more often than not, very rarely does a player start to progress after 5 seasons in the league.

to be fair his whole career hes had Nash, and uhhh.. Nash

Kershaw

to be fair his whole career hes had Nash, and uhhh.. Nash

Brassard was part of the problem in CBJ. They were deluded on him being a 1C. I don't see how Brassard is any better than Prospal, Foligno, Dubinsky, Anisimov and co. Those are players just as good as him, but we don't see the 'he's never had a real team!' excuse there.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

What does he need to drastically change? He just needs to be more consistent with us than he was with the Blue Jackets. He actually has something to play for now, and he's on a team that's better than anything Columbus has ever iced.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Too small a sample to say for certain.

My gut tells me that he performs slightly better than Columbus, but not enough to really peg him as the second line center.

I can see him having his spurts where he looks to have turned the corner, and other times where he frustrates the hell out of fans. In the end, I think he is capable of 20 goals and 55 points. A kind of tweener who can step up and play top six minutes, but isn't really consistent enough to stay there.

55 points is a second-line center. If Brassard can put those kind of numbers up, there's no reason he can't be a second-line player. I'm more confident in his abilities after ridding the organization of Tortorella. He had the team playing timid the entire season and I don't think Brassard would have thrived under Torts for very long.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
How many centers took to year 6 or later to "find consistency," or get profoundly better? Savard comes to mind, but I have a feeling it's a short list otherwise.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
How many centers took to year 6 or later to "find consistency," or get profoundly better? Savard comes to mind, but I have a feeling it's a short list otherwise.

Just about every player in the NHL who isn't a superstar? At least on the consistency part.

Edit: Just to be clear, we're talking about years after their draft, not years in the NHL.

Kershaw

What does he need to drastically change? He just needs to be more consistent with us than he was with the Blue Jackets. He actually has something to play for now, and he's on a team that's better than anything Columbus has ever iced.

That is a lot to ask for since his biggest issue has been inconsistent stretches of play. TBH this sounds a lot like Zherdev when he was acquired. Change in scenery, just needs to tweak inconsistencies, etc. I will believe it when I see it over a full season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The irony of the deal was I think that Brassard, a real slick handler of the puck like Christensen, would have been great partnered with Gaborik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad