Is the Brass for real?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It takes a pretty special player to do some of things he did in the playoffs this year, in NYC nonetheless. I think it actually helps him with AV coming in, because this team is guaranteed to open up its style.

Is there a part of me that doubts? Sure, but I think he's got the type of makeup and skill set to do some damage next year, especially on the PP, because he may be the most dynamic PP player the Rangers have.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The irony of the deal was I think that Brassard, a real slick handler of the puck like Christensen, would have been great partnered with Gaborik.

If the Rangers had all of their guys back from Columbus (and a ******** of cap space) this team would be unbeatable under AV, lol

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Because after 5 yrs of NHL experience and little progression made, what you see is usually what you get. Technically anything could happen and Brassard can be one of the few players who drastically change their careers in their mid 20's like MSL/Weiss, but you can't really count on that because more often than not, very rarely does a player start to progress after 5 seasons in the league.

I don't think drastic is necessary... he has put up over 40 points a couple of times in the past (both with missing 8 games with injuries). He was on pace to break that number again this year. I agree if you are really talking about 'drastic' meaning that this guys going to become a legit #1 center, but why can't he become a 60 point guy which is a fine #2 center? You can say he's not going to change much after 5 years, but I'd argue that he's 25 and is just going to be coming into his prime so why can't he get better?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think drastic is necessary... he has put up over 40 points a couple of times in the past (both with missing 8 games with injuries). He was on pace to break that number again this year. I agree if you are really talking about 'drastic' meaning that this guys going to become a legit #1 center, but why can't he become a 60 point guy which is a fine #2 center? You can say he's not going to change much after 5 years, but I'd argue that he's 25 and is just going to be coming into his prime so why can't he get better?

Exactly. I'm not expecting him to continue being the team's skating MVP, but he's our #2 C, and I'm happy with that. Give him some wingers who can finish and he'll have no trouble racking up points.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If we are expecting around 50-60 pts, then yes he will be fine as a 2c

if he could put up 50 pts and be an effective 2-way player, I'd be ok with that, but I'm convinced that he has that 2-way play in him, which means he'll need to put up more points to compensate

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
Brassard's not a liability in his own zone, but it's not one of his strengths and probably never will be. He does have a slight tendency to turn the puck over breaking out of the zone.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I had no idea how badly things were going for Brass in Cbus at one point. I can't imagine what it would be like to be buried in the farthest corner of the dog house for an organization like that....and then be traded to the Rangers.

Must have been mind blowing.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I'm sure this has been said (I haven't read the thread) but Brassard was busting his ass here.

It wasn't pure talent that would indicate a hot streak. Especially in the playoffs he was playing with a ton of passion.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
didnt brass say something like he had given up in columbus? could a change in scenery/being traded to a playoff team that can contend for the cup be all he needed to get remotivated and become the 1st line center that he was projected to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad