Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As you should. You are therefore also in the position to anticipate him leaving. No signed contract hints he may be leaving. Heck, I’m 500 miles away from Long Island, and even I could anticipate him leaving a year out from UFA.

I wouldnt tell them how much I love being a diamondback and the organization and can’t wait to play in their new ballpark. I wouldn’t say how much I love the direction of the team and don’t want to play anywhere else. I wouldn’t tell them I could see a scenario where I re-sign during the season and before UFA.

In spring training I would tell the media “ I am not going to answer any questions about my up coming free agency or any questions on my contract status. I am focused on the upcoming season and playing for the diamondbacks and making the playoffs this year. “

Media - what if the team trades you at the deadline?

Me- “ that’s up to management. I’d like to stay here and try and take a run at the playoffs but if management feels it’s best for the franchise to trade me I completely understand.”

That’s how you handle that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I wouldnt tell them how much I love being a diamondback and the organization and can’t wait to play in their new ballpark. I wouldn’t say how much I love the direction of the team and don’t want to play anywhere else. I wouldn’t tell them I could see a scenario where I re-sign during the season and before UFA.

In spring training I would tell the media “ I am not going to answer any questions about my up coming free agency or any questions on my contract status. I am focused on the upcoming season and playing for the diamondbacks and making the playoffs this year. “

Media - what if the team trades you at the deadline?

Me- “ that’s up to management. I’d like to stay here and try and take a run at the playoffs but if management feels it’s best for the franchise to trade me I completely understand.”

That’s how you handle that.

You’re not in Tavares’ shoes. He doesn’t want to deal with people like you booing him for an entire year while he’s still under contract with you. He did the most professional thing possible while he was still under Islanders contract. Anyone without a dog in the fight (and who doesn’t hate the other dog) can see that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You’re not in Tavares’ shoes. He doesn’t want to deal with people like you booing him for an entire year while he’s still under contract with you. He did the most professional thing possible while he was still under Islanders contract. Anyone without a dog in the fight (and who doesn’t hate the other dog) can see that.

What the hell makes you think he would be booed m? If anything it would be the opposite and people would show him how much us as a fan base loved him and tried to convince him to stay.

We all know what you’re doing. You make no sense and you’re just looking to rile people up.

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
How do you know Lou offered the same contract terms that Snow negotiated? Lou comes in with a lot of strict rules and a very old school approach, it's not for everyone. Especially signing an 7-8 year contract that likely isn't moveable.

It is pretty well documented that Garth Snow realistically had no role in the negotiations. It was Scott Malkin (Majority Owner) dealing directly with Pat Brisson. Just because Lou came in doesn't mean that the 18-24 months of talks between team owner and JT's agent disappeared. JT basically had whatever contract he wanted for isles. He left to go to TML to try to win a cup for his hometown team. The details of the story have been broken down immensely.

Isles fans are mad because he basically told us he was committed to this team and winning a cup here for 24 months and then at last minute bailed for him hometown team with a picture of him as a kid in bed sheets. So we lost our best player for nothing while he obviously knew the gravity of the situation as the best player the franchise has had since the dynasty.

JT will be booed for this when he returns while a guy like Erik Karlsson will receive a standing O when he comes back to Ottawa. Both franchise players who are no longer with their teams.

Obviously JT is a free agent, its a business and hes allowed to choose his own path which he earned after being an extraordinary player for the isles for almost a decade.

Fans who supported him are the consumers of the business he works for. These fans are allowed to be mad at him for not being completely honest with them, for hurting the franchise asset wise when he could spoken up and indicated he was thinking about going home. He did not and here we are today. I am sure he is totally fine with his decision. He is living a dream come true but he could have realized the situation he was in and not burn the bridge to the franchise that he played for 10 years.

He was a lock to have his jersey raised next to the dynasty players, if he indicated he was thinking ab leaving at any point, he may still have had his jersey retired because every isles fan would admit the team was a train wreck at last year's deadline. Sometimes its how you do things more then actually doing it.

With Lou/Trotz, this team is moving on and the feb 28th game will be the fans turn to say u could have done things better like on July first is was his turn to excite his team's fanbase with that picture on July 1.

We should all just hope NYI continues its surprising run and we see a TML/NYI playoff series b.c that would be one helluva ride.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Exactly.

Isles fans showed their true colours after he left.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
What the hell makes you think he would be booed m? If anything it would be the opposite and people would show him how much us as a fan base loved him and tried to convince him to stay.

We all know what you’re doing. You make no sense and you’re just looking to rile people up.

Nah, we all know he would be booed for saying a year out he wanted to leave to be a Leaf. He did the right thing. He played his heart out while under contract, and kept his mouth shut. It’s up to Isles management to read between the lines. Like I said, I could see it coming 500 miles away a year out.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Nah, we all know he would be booed for saying a year out he wanted to leave to be a Leaf. He did the right thing. He played his heart out while under contract, and kept his mouth shut. It’s up to Isles management to read between the lines. Like I said, I could see it coming 500 miles away a year out.
The right thing would have been to let ownership know he wanted to go UFA. That way, he could have been traded. He did the selfish thing, and we will never forgive him for lying to our fanbase. Say what you want about our past ownership and management, but he screwed his former team mates over also.
You guys think it is great that he did not cost you anything(yet, it seems like there is already a problem keeping the band together), but he left in the slimiest way possible.
Not so sure about playing his heart out, either.

Reactions: CP4

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The right thing would have been to let ownership know he wanted to go UFA. That way, he could have been traded. He did the selfish thing, and we will never forgive him for lying to our fanbase. Say what you want about our past ownership and management, but he screwed his former team mates over also.
You guys think it is great that he did not cost you anything(yet, it seems like there is already a problem keeping the band together), but he left in the slimiest way possible.

That’s on Isles management to read between the lines. Each passing day where he doesn’t sign should tell you HE’S NOT RETURNING. Trade him. What do you need his permission for?

It was obvious to me he was going to leave, so it should’ve been obvious to your management team. I didn’t even talk to him and it was clear as day.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

He was an upcoming unrestricted free agent so not really. Also besides baseless speculation and being blinded by rage, there’s no evidence that Tavares has his mind made up to leave the Islanders well before the season ended. The season ended, he met with teams, he took his time deliberating on it, then chose to go to Toronto.

It really wasn’t all that nefarious, but I don’t blame Isles fans for being angry. Though they don’t need to make up narratives to justify it. Losing an elite player for nothing is a good enough reason to be angry. No need to attack his character or insinuate that it was a year long conspiracy to screw the Islanders franchise over.

Reactions: Dustin

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

1-I never once said he should
Come out and say he wanted to be a leaf. That’s just ridiculous

2- He didn’t keep his mouth shut. If he had things would have been a lot different.

3- you’re just making things up.

You having fun?

Reactions: CP4

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, he's worth the contract.

On the tail end of the contract, the cap will have gone up and 11 mil will not sting.

I shake my head.

If you have a chance to sign a Tavaras. You take it.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Why don't you directly attack his points and tell me exactly what you don't agree with?
There's no need to attack his points.
I have no idea who the hell the guy is .
Why do you need somebody else to make stupid arguments for you.

Again regardless where Tavares would have sign. Nylander would still be holding out on the Leafs. He thinks he's worth more than what Dubas thinks.

Again. You haven't disproved my point and your silly article written by a cry baby did not disprove my point.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
In the last year of his contract, his cap hit will be equivalent to $8.2M today, assuming the cap only raises by the 5% escalator each year. Easily easily easily worth it.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
There's no need to attack his points.
I have no idea who the hell the guy is .
Why do you need somebody else to make stupid arguments for you.

Again regardless where Tavares would have sign. Nylander would still be holding out on the Leafs. He thinks he's worth more than what Dubas thinks.

Again. You haven't disproved my point and your silly article written by a cry baby did not disprove my point.

Is this writer a cry baby as well?

He basically repeats what I said about having a young team and false assumptions of what Leafs brass believe they are willing to swallow. The Leafs can't build the team like Detroit, Pens, Hawks because the young players won't and shouldn't buy into it. They are at the point of their careers where they don't know their true market value and they have yet to reach their performance ceilings. Why be stymied by an organization that wants to pay them scraps at such a critical juncture in their careers. The're basically pawns under the proposed solutions to the big 4 contracts. When the the Pens, Hawks, Detroit, Caps built the team around a few elite players and a topped off the roster with experience vets for depth. These veteran players had already made their paydays throughout their careers and saw their situations as a last ditch effort to win the Cup. This mentality won't work on a young team like the Leafs.

Hate for William Nylander is misguided ... and more in mailbag | The Star

There’s a lot of anger directed toward William Nylander.
Seems as if folks believe it is their right to enjoy watching Nylander play on Auston Matthews’ right wing at a price of their choosing. Sure, I get it. I’d like to pay a mortgage rate at the price of my choosing. I’d like to buy groceries at the price of my choosing.
nylander.jpg

Maple Leafs forward William Nylander doesn’t deserve the hate he’s been receiving from fans as he sits on the sidelines while his contract situation plays out, Kevin McGran writes. (CLAUS ANDERSEN / GETTY IMAGES)
That’s not how it works.
Wasn’t a big fan of Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan fanning the flames as he did on Wednesday. He compared these young Leafs to his veteran-loaded Detroit Red Wings, who came together for one purpose. Disingenuous in my books.
These young Leafs have their futures ahead of them playing in a system where their earnings are limited, pitting teammate against teammate for top dollar. It’s a system Shanahan was complicit in bringing about.
Those old Red Wings of his had made their millions — and still earned as much if not more than these Leafs — and were looking collectively at a kind of last kick at the can in a market where the sky was the limit for salaries.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Months ago, there was a poster who said the JT state"He loved Long Island and wanted to stay"

I said "then sign"

that fact he didn't after this statement, should've been quite forboding.

I've only heard of ONE player ever, who said during a season, that they weren't coming back.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Right for whom?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Tavares rocks.

Amazing player - basically single handedly dragged garbage teams to the playoffs with an inept organization.

Unbelievable loyalty - signed with his childhood team that hes been loyal to since a child. He even kept his pajamas all those years. Now THAT is loyalty. On a scale of 1 to 10, that's loyalty level 11.

Unquenchable thirst to win, and amazing team player - gave the team that drafted him a discount contract in the Hopes of helping the team win, which they unfortunately squandered. He even signed with the leafs for less than other teams offered because he wanted to win.

Hell yeah hes worth his contract. These are qualities you just don't find in this day and age.

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Piss poor excuse. So you’re saying hiring one of the most respected GMs in the NHL and one of the top5/10 best coaches in NHL history was a negative?

He loves the leafs and it was always his dream to play for them.

If I got drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks I would sign with the Yankees the first chance I got.

I stated why is isles fans were left with a bitter taste. We know he’s your new shiny toy and you guys finally got a hometown star which is great but please stop the obsession with how the islanders fans should feel.
seems like we got patrick corbin over here

Reactions: Voight

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
You have to love how the Leaf fans say Tavares was just exercising his right as a UFA under the terms of the CBA but then turn around and bad mouth Nylander for exercising his rights as a RFA. Gotta love the hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad