Is Shea Weber a Hall of Famer?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
9 x top 10 in Norris voting
5 x top 5 in Norris voting
Messier Award
4 x top 25 in Hart voting
225 goals (currently 15th all time and will likely be top 10 by the time he retires)

He was in long ago. Anything else is gravy. He's a first ballot. There's no debate here.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Messier Award
225 goals (currently 15th all time and will likely be top 10 by the time he retires)

He was in long ago. Anything else is gravy. He's a first ballot. There's no debate here.
While I'm of the opinion he deserves to get in, I think there is definitely going to be some debate to be had on this one.

You left out his international successes too, btw.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
While I'm of the opinion he deserves to get in, I think there is definitely going to be some debate to be had on this one.

You left out his international successes too, btw.
I actually felt like he was a little overrated. He has a fantastic shot and he's really steady in his own end. But he's never been a big transition guy. So he has some limitations.

But the Norris voting speaks for itself. What I think doesn't matter. He has the resume. There's not a player in the league that can have that kind of Norris voting and not get in. The only debate that might be had is whether or not he gets in first ballot. And that's only because he hasn't had playoff success... yet.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Messier Award

Considering he's never even won a Norris, I think there's at least a debate to be had.

It's extremely difficult to win a Norris, and Weber probably could've won a couple and nobody would've questioned it, but the fact is he hasn't. I think he's a HoFer, but we're not talking about Lidstrom here.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Interesting one.

No cup is an issue with this "candidacy". He's been great for long enough. His level of play this year is, so far, very good in the playoffs which is a good sign, but the Habs would need to push through further in order for people to remember that more than 1 week.

A cup is very unlikely at this point of his career and with the team he plays for (I like the Habs).

Then again, Thornton probably makes it. Price also. They are all in a similar situation of great play for long periods of time but no cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Considering he's never even won a Norris, I think there's at least a debate to be had.

It's extremely difficult to win a Norris, and Weber probably could've won a couple and nobody would've questioned it, but the fact is he hasn't. I think he's a HoFer, but we're not talking about Lidstrom here.
He's a sure fire HOFer.

Nobody said he was anywhere near Lidstrom.

Weber is in the HOF. The only question is how long he has to wait.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Interesting one.

No cup is an issue with this "candidacy". He's been great for long enough. His level of play this year is, so far, very good in the playoffs which is a good sign, but the Habs would need to push through further in order for people to remember that more than 1 week.

A cup is very unlikely at this point of his career and with the team he plays for (I like the Habs).

Then again, Thornton probably makes it. Price also. They are all in a similar situation of great play for long periods of time but no cup.
I'm not sure Thornton and Weber are in the same boat here for a lot of reasons.

Reactions: Huokaus

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Interesting one.

Brad Park never won a cup. Never won a Norris. But he was 2nd in Norris voting every year. Shoe in for the HOF.

Why? Because coming in second to Orr (or Lidstrom) isn't going to be held against them.

Weber comes in 2nd twice. Is top five a few times... he's in for sure.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I hope he does, but it seems unlikely
No Norris wins (even if he should have) and no Cups doesn't help

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Brad Park never won a cup. Never won a Norris. But he was 2nd in Norris voting every year. Shoe in for the HOF.

Why? Because coming in second to Orr (or Lidstrom) isn't going to be held against them.

Weber comes in 2nd twice. Is top five a few times... he's in for sure.
If I have to play devil's advocate here, he didn't lose to guys like Orr or Lidstrom multiple times. He lost out to a variety of Dmen. He's also never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

That said, in my opinion, he was a top 5-10 defenseman in the league for roughly a decade. I think that's HOF worthy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If I have to play devil's advocate here, he didn't lose to guys like Orr or Lidstrom multiple times. He lost out to a variety of Dmen. He's also never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

That said, in my opinion, he was a top 5-10 defenseman in the league for roughly a decade. I think that's HOF worthy.
Even if you were to ignore his Norris consideration (which by itself gets him in) he'll be 13th in goals for blueliners next year at the very least. By the time he retires he'll be top ten. Every one of the top 13 are in the HOF. A couple of them didn't win the Norris or cups and they don't have the Norris voting Weber does.

There's just no way this guy isn't in.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Shea Weber placed top five in Norris trophy voting 5 times.

There have been 22 other defensemen (excluding Weber) who have done that going back to 1954 (when the Norris trophy was first awarded). Every single one of them is in the Hall of Fame (excluding Zdeno Chara, but there's no doubt he'll make it). It's doubtful that Weber breaks this pattern.

It's true that his playoff resume is underwhelming (at least when compared to the other 22 defensemen who match/exceed his Norris voting record), but he has some international success, which helps.

Fun fact (probably not fun for Weber though) - he was on the losing end of the two closest Norris trophy races in NHL history (losing to Lidstrom and Karlsson by less than a 1% margin each time).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Weber didn't win a Norris but he was 2nd in two extremely close races, was widely regarded as a top 5 defenseman for years, including many people considering him the best at certain points, has a great overall Norris record, has a reputation as a leader and a guy who "plays the right way" and was a staple for Team Canada at his best. His playoff resume hurts him, and I think looking back, some people question whether he was as good as his reputation at the time, as he was never as strong a puck mover as other elite defensemen at the time like Doughty and Keith, and today that seems to be a bigger focus for defensemen. I think he gets in, but I don't know if he's as big of a lock as I would have thought he'd be by now 5 or 6 years ago

Reactions: generalshepherd141

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Messier Award

Lol Messier award. I hope that never tilts the scales on a hall of fame decision. Top 25 in Hart voting is not exactly something to put on a hall of fame plaque either.

They consider international success, don't they? Surely that'd be a bigger part of his resume. Unless he can win a cup or Norris, his case is basically "was a good player for a long time, won a couple gold medals".

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
E2wo6w1VoAIe4VI.jpg
First Ballot!!!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Messier Award

You don't think there's a debate?
Guys in his age group - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, P. Kane, Keith, Bergeron are 1st ballot -
Kopitar, Toews, Doughty right there
Stamkos, Karlsson would be next ...
Getzlaf, E Staal, Perry, Backstrom, Giroux,
Kessel, Marchand Hall, Benn, Burns, Letang... etc.

and goalies - Rask, Fleury, Price, Bobrovsky

Decent chance he gets in but it's not a given and definitely not 1st ballot.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
He deserves to be. Shame Lidstrom got that Lifetime Achievement Award Norris in 2011, one of the worst award selections of the 21st century. But as Lafleurs Guy mentioned upthread, 9x top-10 Norris voting, with a lot of those being in the top five is good enough for me.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He suffers from the:

He was arguably the best Dman in the NHL cause he was always so consistently almost the best every year but the guy ahead of him that season changed all the time.

What I mean is if you play in 10 tournaments and finish 2nd every time but Noone finishes first more than once are you arguably the best cause you beat everyone based on consistency despite never winning.

I'm gonna say he makes it in cause he was so good for so long just never the best in one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad