Is Sean Couturier the PMD this team needs?

TheShaneTrain

Mar 21, 2010
East Greenville
Stick with me, folks...

Couts (offensive) development has IMO taken a clear step back, whilst his defense is still pretty great.

So how crazy is the idea of taking him from our 3C ( a spot Laughton seems ready for) and converting couts into a d man?

He already plays point on the PP, has a decent enough first pass (on par or better than 5 of our D men), plays exceptional defense, and isn't really being counted on for his offense anyway...

I'd like to point out that while I don't necessarily think its even a possibility, what does everyone think?

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
He plays exceptional defense as a center man. There is a reason defenders develop later, so you want to take couts and hope he breaks that development curve? He will never be a defenseman. Never.

Also you aren't the first to propose this but it really isn't a good idea.

Like the username though

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
yea. he's got too much potential on a team in disarray to throw that on top of him. he's young. that would send him the wrong message and also we need him to continue to trudge through this season and become more comfortable offensively. he's got the skill, he's just in that phase were he was surprisingly great last year which created pressure he never had to deal with but he's too smart of a player to not figure it out. your lookin for solutions tho. worth the thought.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm sure he could play the position, however I don't want to take him out of his role at C. I like the new idea though, I've always wondered why there aren't as many transitions from F to D and vice versa. Only ones I can think of are Burns this year, Kapanen and I think Fedorov did? Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe Fedorov played more of a rover.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Luca played some forward before, right? I know he played wing for us a few games, too. Dustin Bye-fooglean is the only one who was actively transitioning in recent memory.

I kind of like the idea. A bit crazy, yes, but isn't as out there as Phil Kessel for Giroux.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm sure he could play the position, however I don't want to take him out of his role at C. I like the new idea though, I've always wondered why there aren't as many transitions from F to D and vice versa. Only ones I can think of are Burns this year, Kapanen and I think Fedorov did? Maybe I'm wrong.

Mark Howe.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

dustin byfuglien

chromemaro

Jul 12, 2007
Luca played some forward before, right? I know he played wing for us a few games, too. Dustin Bye-fooglean is the only one who was actively transitioning in recent memory.

I kind of like the idea. A bit crazy, yes, but isn't as out there as Phil Kessel for Giroux.

D Buff was drafted as a D man

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Nah, Fedorov actually could play the position at a high level. He could easily have been a defenseman in this league instead of a center.

That said, it's extremely rare that someone can suddenly become a defenseman that far into their development.

TheShaneTrain

Mar 21, 2010
East Greenville
Sean is a -10.

We might as well make Danny B and his -12 play some D as well

This is exactly why I don't trust the +/- stat...

Couts' -10 is an indication of situational pressure, against the oppositions best lines.

Briere's -12 is an indication of how poor he is defensively...aka +/- can be completely misleading.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sean is a -10.

We might as well make Danny B and his -12 play some D as well

He spent most of this year with wingers who can't create offense, playing the tough minutes in defensive situations against the top lines of the Conference. In that situation it's unlikely he'd be on the positive side.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
No. To panic and change this kid's career after a sophomore slump in a fluke 48 game season would epitomize this team's lack of patience and neverending kneejerk factor.

Plus he doesn't have the wheels to be a PMD.

Yukon Cornelius*

The only player on the current roster that I could see remotely making the transition to Defense is Simon Gagne.

His lack of size and physicality would be his obvious hindrance but much like Sami Kapanen before him, his hockey IQ and overall defensive game could make this theoretically possible.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Mark Howe was indeed a forward starting out and was converted in the old WHA... that was a great move as it turned out.

I have been concerned with Couts and his perchance for losing the puck around the Flyers Blue Line of late... may not be that many times I suppose, but there have been a few disasters and potential disasters... and some bumpy rides in the D-Zone after them. Converting him to D and changing his philosophy and outlook I suppose does not necessarily mean he would be a liability with that, and I imagine could even correct it in the long run... not to say that I'm saying it is a long-term problem with him that will doom him going forward... I have just been concerned with his decisions and reactions lately, where I wasn't last season. I imagine those on here with firsthand experience will be able to give a better evaluation of him on this matter... and I could be just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

My thinking on converting him to D is that it is a major move and not one to make without being positive that it is best for him and not merely to fill a present need on the team -- Kappy was a dire D-man PostSeason move when the Flyers' collective backs were against the wall... and with an exceptional guy who was up to the task -- Howe, it must be kept in mind, was not having a problem at forward in any manner IIRC... it was not to correct any part of his game. That said, it was a huge gambol with a major talent that paid off in spades... and was by far an exception rather than a guideline.

I believe such conversions are almost 100% done before the professional level... and in the minors at best... even Howe's was done in a wildcat league that was not afraid to gambol in order to progress. The WHA was all about taking high risks for high rewards IMO. I believe if Couts had displayed to anyone the signs of becoming an exceptional D-man, someone in his development stages would have acted on it by now.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
hes a 20 year old kid struggling in his sophmore season. leave him where he is for God sakes.

Thank you.

We all know and have seen his potential. He's struggling offensively, we all know that, but also take into account that he isn't getting the ice time, or the line-mates to produce any offense either.

It's amazing what this fan base does to players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad