Is Sam Gagner done?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
29 and virtually unable to contribute offensively, spent the better part of the season in the AHL as he couldn't lock a roster spot on the Canucks.

He isn't exactly bottom-six material either.

Still one year left on his deal, thought.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Spooner is so bad lol
Spooner looks like he doesn't care, shocking he got the contract he did from the Rangers. I think he was one of the players McDavid was talking about when he said if you didn't believe in the team then get out. The Oilers waived him right after and then traded him for Gagner.

The Oilers' coaches didn't even want Spooner but Chiarelli did the trade anyway because he drafted him. Brutal.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Nah. He just about at his career norm 0.5 PPG with Edmonton. He's still a middle six pp guy. He's just not someone you commit to.

I see another three or four years of Gagner bouncing around on 1-year $1M deals. He's always useful on a contract like that.

Reactions: zaqq

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He had 10 points in 25 games playing in the bottom 6, while not completely being a defensive liability.

Pro-rated I think that becomes around 33 points over a full 82 games.

That makes him the Oilers 5th highest scoring forward.

Sure he's not worth his contract, but he's been far from useless.

And I HATED sammy his first tour with the Oilers.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He had 10 points in 25 games playing in the bottom 6, while not completely being a defensive liability.

Pro-rated I think that becomes around 33 points over a full 82 games.

That makes him the Oilers 5th highest scoring forward.

Sure he's not worth his contract, but he's been far from useless.

And I HATED sammy his first tour with the Oilers.

This is pretty much the worst indictment of the state of the Oilers that I’ve seen.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I mean i've watched both Canucks and Oilers games this season and didn't realize he was still playing until this thread title compelled me to look him up.

Yeah...he's done or close to it.

Eakins giving him an A is a real high point for him, I think.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He put up about a 15-15-30 pace on the Oilers.

The first sentence is "virtually unable to contribute offensively."

Therefore, the topic is silly.

Here to help!

Reactions: North

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
29 and virtually unable to contribute offensively, spent the better part of the season in the AHL as he couldn't lock a roster spot on the Canucks.

Hasn't ever been the same since Kassian broke his jaw.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I used to hate him during his initial run with the Oilers, but he was great this season. He consistently forechecked with high intensity and caused turnovers by himself. Also, he still has decent playmaking skills.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I've still got time for Sammy. Instantly added some skill when he came over. Not a world breaker by any means but still a decent player. Seems to have worked on his defensive game as well. I remember him being the biggest floater that would skate away form any form of contact. He's overpaid for sure but I don't think he's done in this league just yet.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He was done when the Canucks signed him.

Had a serviceable career but younger better players squeeze guys like him out.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He is better than most on the oilers so don't see why he would be done .

Guy has had a decent career for being slow and small without a good shot . He should be in the top six for the oilers next year and if he isn't terrible will get another deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad