Is Sam Gagner done?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd say "passable" is the right word which is an upgrade on the zero he was traded for. He's not noticeable most of the time but he has JUST enough skill to produce at a decent enough rate and plays his butt off, unlike the zero he was traded for. Seems like a good locker room guy too.

When the bar is as low as Chia set it, you'll take any player who has a pulse.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Overpaid, yes, useful in all situations, dear god no, but Gagner is a decent player to have if you have a very specific role for him. Passable is the best term. He's been good with depth scoring for us, and on the powerplay. Not the ideal option of course, but he fills the role in a pinch.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He defines the expression "fill a jersey."

He's capable enough to take shifts in an NHL game. He fills a roster spot. He'll be passable at best, and not hurt much at worst, while doing it.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
This.

I wouldn't mind Sammy Snowpants back for one more year on the Oil. Spooner and Rattie were useless. Aberg was meh (better last season). Gagner was alright.
Lol remember before the season when everyone was saying 20-30 goals for Rattie cause he'd be playing with McDavid?

I 'member

Reactions: GOilers88

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I could see the Sens taking him on.

I wonder if there could be something around Gagner + 8th overall for Tierney + 19th overall + 44th overall.... Tierney would be a nice addition to Edmonton and the Oilers still get two relatively high picks. Tierney has 88pts in the past two seasons and is still only 24. Maybe there is another piece involved, where the Oil clear more salary, but I could see it as a basis

If you look at Schuchers draft pick value chart, 8th overall has a trade value of 629...

19th overall is 364, 44th overall is 196, meaning that the difference in value is 69 points (which is the value of a late 6th rounder). Given that Tierney would return at least a 3rd if we're being conservative and probably a high 2nd without being too optimistic, I think the value is there at least. Plus I think the Oilers have a need for a deeper talent pool just as much as they have a need to add high-end assets. I could see why fans of the Oilers would turn it down but I think it is at least somewhat compelling.

Here is the chart btw http://statsportsconsulting.com/main/wp-content/uploads/Schuckers_NHL_Draftchart.pdf

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Lucky for him he's got a contract for next year. Does he not?

Yep 1 more year. But I think unless he really bombs he will get another chance after this. At the very least he's a top line AHLer and he has proven he can be a very valuable player under the right circumstances and deployment.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nobody that actually watched him this year could possibly come to the conclusion that he’s done. He’s not a legit top 6er, but he’s still a 30-40 point guy who can help your PP. I’d take him on my 3rd line all day.

This is pretty much the worst indictment of the state of the Oilers that I’ve seen.

It’s why I can’t help but laugh when people still act like the Oilers defense is the problem. We absolutely destroyed our forward depth, and it meant that even when most of our team had a career year, we couldn’t score enough to make the playoffs.

holy **** gagner's only 29?

yikes why do i feel like he's been in the league forever?

He turned 18 just before the start of his 49 point rookie season. He has been in the league forever. He came in the same time as Kane, Letang, Backstrom, Lucic, Dubinsky, etc. He was just quite a bit younger than those guys. He should end his career with like 1200+ games played.

Lol remember before the season when everyone was saying 20-30 goals for Rattie cause he'd be playing with McDavid?

I 'member

I’d love to see these posts claiming he’d score 30 goals. 30 points maybe

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think with him its all about the contract. We wouldn't be even discussing this if he was at 1.5 million. He has skill just seems to be a depth player. Who knows though. He had good moments when he came back.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Hes one of those players that has to be put on a certain team to be productive in the right situation. If not then hes just kinda floating around. Kinda reminds of Kris Versteeg.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think with him its all about the contract. We wouldn't be even discussing this if he was at 1.5 million. He has skill just seems to be a depth player. Who knows though. He had good moments when he came back.
That’s the amount he would cost if you retained half of it. See if there are any takers this summer?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I 'member

Proof that playing with McDavid doesn't instantly make you a 20 goal scorer (see Lucic). And proof last season's success means squat for the next season.

I've always said Draisaitl has elite vision (since the WHL) and his 50 goal season is just an icing on the cake. You can't teach hockey IQ.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
He’ll have a spot. At this point the shine of being a 6th overall pick is completely gone, but he can be a solid depth guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->