Is Saad more than a poor man's Hossa?

bulletwwings

Aug 17, 2011
Enemy Territory, STL
Taze em, I am right there with you man. Almost every game this season, especially lately, I look at whoever I am watching the game with and say that he is the next Hossa. He is controlling the puck with Hossa like skill along the boards and in the corners. People aren't expecting him to take pucks away like he, and Hossa, does. And honestly he is starting to score more and more highlight reel goals. Considering the fact Saad is being considered for the USA roster, at age 21, I'd say he has a right to start the comparisons. Not have that pressure on him, but comparisons never hurt anyone. Fact is, Saad's defense ability is growing so fast and his offense will catch up quickly. The qualities he's showing now, I could see them panning out into a Hossa type player.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It's two 6'1 210 lb 2 way wings who have identical point production in their first three years of big time hockey.

Both play great defense and get alot of takeaways. 21 year old Hossa IS 21 year old Saad.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You're looking at numbers and their measurements, I'm looking at how they play the game. Saad's defensive game isn't even in the same stratosphere as Hossa (though he's still a good defensive player). He also won't ever sniff 100 points. Marian Hossa is a wizard with his stick. Maybe they're similar players in NHL 13, but in real life I don't see it.

bulletwwings

Aug 17, 2011
Enemy Territory, STL
You're looking at numbers and their measurements, I'm looking at how they play the game. Saad's defensive game isn't even in the same stratosphere as Hossa (though he's still a good defensive player). He also won't ever sniff 100 points. Marian Hossa is a wizard with his stick. Maybe they're similar players in NHL 13, but in real life I don't see it.

Saying Saad will never sniff 100 points isn't fair. If he were to play with Toews and Kane consistently (all season) I think it would be possible for him to reach 100. Probably not right now but in the future why not? Remember when Hossa played in ATL? He had Kovalchuck on the other wing, I don't remember who the C was though. Hossa and Kovie was scary enough honestly.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think people aren't taking into account the fact that Hossa only has 4 PPG season in his 14 year career. He had one amazing 100 pt season.

I don't think it is too outrageous to think Saad could produce at a similar clip.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

The OP was comparing Saad to Hossa at the same age, not Hossa now. My memory isn't the best, but I don't recall Hossa being as good defensively in his first few seasons as he is now.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The OP was comparing Saad to Hossa at the same age, not Hossa now. My memory isn't the best, but I don't recall Hossa being as good defensively in his first few seasons as he is now.

Right. I'm just saying their careers thus far have been identical. Extrapolating that is dangerous but there is a distinct possibility that Saad will have an extremely similar career.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

I think that it should be noted that Hossa wasn't as nearly polished a defensively as a young player as he is now. I remember the scouting report on him as a prospect stating that he'll have to actually find the defensive zone for him to take the next step.

And wasn't Hossa's 100 point season from right after the lock-out when they were calling ALL of the obstruction and there was something like 50% more PP opportunities?

bulletwwings

Aug 17, 2011
Enemy Territory, STL
Hossa had a 97 or 98 point season right after the lock out, then his 100 point season the next (so two seasons after the lockout). But as I said earlier he was playing with Kovalchuck too...

RomersWorld*

I think that it should be noted that Hossa wasn't as nearly polished a defensively as a young player as he is now. I remember the scouting report on him as a prospect stating that he'll have to actually find the defensive zone for him to take the next step.

And wasn't Hossa's 100 point season from right after the lock-out when they were calling ALL of the obstruction and there was something like 50% more PP opportunities?

Yep. Hossa had 44 power play points. Hossa now gets about 15-20 power play points a full season. There were 14 players with 90+ points that season compared to now when there are like 2-5 with 90+ points. You can't really compare a 100 point season then to one now.

If we look past the PP where Hossa plays more, gets extended time with 5 on 3 PPs, ect.

Brandon Saad
12-13: 46 games, 10 goals, 14 assists, 24 points
13-14: 34 games, 10 goals, 10 assists, 20 points

Marian Hossa
12-13: 40 games, 13 goals, 14 assists, 27 points
13-14: 29 games, 11 goals, 9 assists, 20 points

Not saying he is Hossa or as good as Hossa, but man is Saad looking good. I am very excited to see him grow as a player.

BTW,
Brandon Saad(Even Strength)
13-14: 34 games, 10 goals, 9 assists, 19 points
Pro-Rated: 82 games, 24 goals, 22 assists, 46 points

Marian Hossa(Even Strength)
06-07: 82 games, 23 goals, 29 assists, 52 points

That was his 100 point season. 52 EV Points, 44 PP Points, 4 SH Points.

Hossa had more even strength points(54) in 2011-12 with the Hawks when he had 77 points then in 06-07 when he had 100 points(52).

Hossa right now is as good as he ever has been at even strength but his numbers have dropped on the power play so much. That is why the "good team=good stats, bad team=bad stats" that many idiotic posters on the main board use is so frustrating and annoying. Especially on a team like the Hawks where a guy like Toews is used as a net front presence on the PP, Hossa used on the 2nd unit, ect. Obviously if Toews was playing along the half wall and constantly controlling the puck, making the offense go through him he would get way more PP points just by accident. Just like guys like Tavares and Giroux get. I see it all the time, secondary assists because they always have the puck and are more likely to get an assist, like last night's Voracek goal when Giroux didn't really do anything but make a 5 foot pass. Last year Tavares has 1 primary assist, 5 secondary assists on the PP(83% of PP assists). He has 6 secondary assists(60% of PP assists) already this year on the PP. Toews has 2 secondary assists(40% of assists). The year Giroux had 93 points...he had 32 PP assists(15 secondary assists). This year 5 of his 8(63%) PP assists(5 on 4) are secondary assists.

Now granted not all secondary assists are complete luck, not earned, ect. but when the puck goes through you the more likely you are to get them. On a bad team like the Islanders or Flyers...just watch the PP and you see everything flow through Tavares/Giroux just like it does with Kane on this team. Hossa/Toews would be those guys on different teams but not on the Hawks. That is why those arguments are so damn stupid....you have to take every factor into account not just one thing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hossa had a 97 or 98 point season right after the lock out, then his 100 point season the next (so two seasons after the lockout). But as I said earlier he was playing with Kovalchuck too...

He had 20 more points than Kovalchuk the year he scored 100.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I've always thought of Saad as Hossa-lite but when I actually look at their stats I'm starting to wonder if he might BE Hossa.

Given their production thus far it seems like Saad COULD be as good or maybe even better than Hossa. I always thought of Saad as a poor man's Hossa. Now I'm thinking he might be the exact same player.

Obviously there are differences in skill/style between them, but the similarities are there too in terms of size and strength, skating ability, two-way game, output, etc. Hossa has done it forever, but Saad is off to a good, scratch that, great start so 18 years when they are both we can add it all up and see. Good post.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Maybe not now, but I remember an interview with Hoss where he said he only played one zone hockey early in his career (I think this was in reference to the improvements Kane has made to his two-way game?). But I do see Saad being a hybrid Hossa/Toews type player. Hard on the puck, good shot, good skater, good in corners, very strong on the puck. He's improved so much from when he came up in 2012. His skating alone has been much more explosive. With that said, I dont know if there is anybody with strides like Hossa on the Hawks, maybe Keith and Leddy. When Hoss puts his head down and gets on that backcheck its a thing of beauty.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Saad will in all likelyhood not touch Hossa's prime between 02-03 to 08-09.

469 GP 232 G 259 A 491 Pts (Pro-rated: 82 GP 41 G 45 A 86 Pts)

However, I would say there's at least a decent chance Saad can be about as good as the Hossa on the Blackhawks when he hits his prime. This would be absolutely fantastic if it were to be case.

272 GP 108 G 135 A 243 Pts (Pro-rated: 82 GP 33 G 41 A 73 Pts)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

You are correct, a recent Hossa interview stated that early on he was all offense. Then he embraced the D side of the game and enjoys it as much as scoring.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The player Saad reminds me the most of in his young career so far is Steve Larmer. I see a lot of Larmer in Saad and that is a good thing.

I don't know, Saad is way faster than Grampa and I think Larmer was much more of a sniper and played the game more from the neck up where Saad is more of a beast. It's all good though.

#28 one of my all time faves.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

Hoss doesn't "have to find the D zone" - cuz he takes the puck away from you in the neutral zone!!!

Saad, does not have 81's shot or Offensive IQ/vision, stick!!! Not even close- 81 is a true HOF! I will say Saad is learning to be more patient w/ Puck in O zone!!!
Both are world class D wise forwards- and really good at stripping the puck.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I don't know, Saad is way faster than Grampa and I think Larmer was much more of a sniper and played the game more from the neck up where Saad is more of a beast. It's all good though.

#28 one of my all time faves.

Yeah, Grandpa was a bit of a slug although that lazy stride made him look slower than he actually was. Loved it when he was Canada's best player in 91 (at least in my opinion) and then won the Cup with Rangers. Good to see Benny doing 28 proud.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What is this, the Leafs board? Lets cool it on the comparisons between a 21 year old and a future Hall of Famer please.

Saad has had a spectacular start to his career, ill leave it at that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad