Is Saad more than a poor man's Hossa?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I've always thought of Saad as Hossa-lite but when I actually look at their stats I'm starting to wonder if he might BE Hossa.

LAST JUNIOR YEAR
Hossa:
1997-98 Portland Winter Hawks WHL GP 53 G 45 A40 PTS 85 1.6 PPG
Saad:
2011-12 Saginaw Spirit OHL GP 44 G 34 A 42 PTS 76 1.72 PPG

ROOKIE PRO

Hossa:
1998-99 Ottawa Senators NHL 60 15 15 30 .5PPG

Saad:
2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 46 10 17 27 .58PPG

SECOND YEAR PRO

Hossa:
1999-00 Ottawa Senators NHL 78 29 27 56 .71PPG

Saad:
2013-14 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 33 11 12 23 .7PPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given their production thus far it seems like Saad COULD be as good or maybe even better than Hossa. I always thought of Saad as a poor man's Hossa. Now I'm thinking he might be the exact same player.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I hate putting crazy high expectations on someone so young, but he is off to a great start. Hoss is a sure fire hall of famer. Saad needs to keep improving and sustain it for many, many years. You have to really like what you see so far!l

atomicfroster*

I've always thought of Saad as Hossa-lite but when I actually look at their stats I'm starting to wonder if he might BE Hossa.

LAST JUNIOR YEAR
Hossa:
1997-98 Portland Winter Hawks WHL GP 53 G 45 A40 PTS 85 1.6 PPG
Saad:
2011-12 Saginaw Spirit OHL GP 44 G 34 A 42 PTS 76 1.72 PPG

ROOKIE PRO

Hossa:
1998-99 Ottawa Senators NHL 60 15 15 30 .5PPG

Saad:
2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 46 10 17 27 .58PPG

SECOND YEAR PRO

Hossa:
1999-00 Ottawa Senators NHL 78 29 27 56 .71PPG

Saad:
2013-14 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 33 11 12 23 .7PPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given their production thus far it seems like Saad COULD be as good or maybe even better than Hossa. I always thought of Saad as a poor man's Hossa. Now I'm thinking he might be the exact same player.

he's no hossa, what your stats don't show is take-aways and i'm more of a fan of hoss' defense then offense. (even thought i love his patented half slappers)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
he's no hossa, what your stats don't show is take-aways and i'm more of a fan of hoss' defense then offense. (even thought i love his patented half slappers)

This season Hossa has 39 takeaways, 2nd in the league

Saad has 29 takeaways ties for 9th in the league. Pretty comparable.

2005 was the first season where i can find takeaways and Hossa finished... 9th!

Last edited:

LandofLincoln*

Saad v Hossa

I think calling Saad a poor man's Hossa is fine. Hossa is a HOF player. I don't see Saad being a HOF player but my guess is that Saad scores over 300 goals in his career.

Saad probably tops out around 30G a season but I see him hitting 70Pts or better a few times.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I don't see saad having Hossa's offensive ceiling... I don't even feel there is potential for him to ever hit triple digit scoring, and for that reason he is Hossa-lite in my eyes. However, nearly everything in the game, I feel saad is very similar to Hossa and nearly as proficient. I think Saad may become the eventual third wheel to our superstar duo, once sharpie and Hossa age a little more and take lesser roles on the team.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
LOL. Saad is not the kind of offensive powerhouse that Hossa once was. But he is a damn fine top-6 player and will probably get even better the next couple of years. He is a legit top-4 FW at his peak.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Saad is more like Toews than Hossa.... IMO, Saad is a clone of Toews when Toews was 21... There is a difference in production between Toews and Saad at the age of 21 (not a whole lot at all), however that is due to ice time.... The kid is only playing on the 3rd line..

I don't know about the leadership qualities, however he certainly has a good teacher to learn from in the locker room.

This kid is the real deal. His offensive and defensive awareness is insane and the kid can play a 2-way game - not to mention knows how to use his size effectively... This kid is a gem and there is no doubt in my mind this kid will be a beast and a superstar.... I hope Bowman signs this kid to a long term deal before he's arbitration eligible, because if this kid keeps his pace he's certainly going to be an easy 5 million per RFA poach under this present salary cap...

I'm sure Bowman already knows this tho..

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hossa is a future hall of famer.. No shame in being a Hossa-lite and let's not go crazy with the expectations.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He is Hossa/Toews lite now(honestly sometimes I confuse him for either one and then I look and its Saad), I mean in a year he has improved dramatically, who says he doesnt become as good as Toews or Hossa in a couple years? It all depends on how hard he works as I believe he does have the potential. He has the size, he has the speed, he has good hands, if everything improves gradually I dont see why not as he is still very young.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Everyone is talking about Hossa having a 100 pt season and being a HOF but those do NOT dispute the fact that at this point in time, quanititatively, Saad is as good or better than Hossa was.

I realize that Hossa is a better player right now. Why can't Saad develop the way Hossa has? The number certainly tell us he is well on his way.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Everyone is talking about Hossa having a 100 pt season and being a HOF but those do NOT dispute the fact that at this point in time, quanititatively, Saad is as good or better than Hossa was.

I realize that Hossa is a better player right now. Why can't Saad develop the way Hossa has? The number certainly tell us he is well on his way.

I'm sure throughout the history of the NHL the number of players to put up 50 points in their first 82 games and then NOT go on to score 500 goals and 1000 points (milestones Hossa is all but assured of reaching) is quite extensive. Let's just see what happens and leave placing crazy expectations on every good young to play for our team to Toronto.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I love Manchild and he's a heckuva player with probably a bunch more untapped potential - but, nothing Saad has shown indicates he has anywhere near Hossa's scoring prowess. Saad may get close to Hossa's 2-way game, but I doubt Saad puts up the scoring numbers Hossa has. Plus Saad would have to play at that level for 12+ seasons to be in the same conversation as Hossa.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
yea, not sure I see the goal scoring potential of hossa, but if he turns out to be a perennial 60pt scorer(which it looks like he can/should be) while playing well defensively, i'd say that'd be at least meeting even the highest of expectations for a second round pick.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I don't see where the comparison is between the 2 comes from. I see two different types of players.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't see where the comparison is between the 2 comes from. I see two different types of players.

It's two 6'1 210 lb 2 way wings who have identical point production in their first three years of big time hockey.

Both play great defense and get alot of takeaways. 21 year old Hossa IS 21 year old Saad.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

CertainAffinity*

I wouldn't call him a 'poor man's Hossa'. I'm not going to say he's going to be as good as Hossa is, but he as all the tools to be incredibly effective in the same kind of role.

And he's learning under the wing of the master right now!

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I don't see saad having Hossa's offensive ceiling... I don't even feel there is potential for him to ever hit triple digit scoring, and for that reason he is Hossa-lite in my eyes.

No one in the NHL has ever hit triple digit scoring. The NHL record is 92 goals.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Saad doesn't even have 100 NHL games yet. Let's give him another season and a half before projecting him. Also, other teams don't adjust to him yet because of the strong roster. Tough to project an NHL player until you see a team try to shut down a player or exploit them.

I think he's excellent, but I'm far from having a real strong opinion on where his ceiling and floor are.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hossa was counted on as the primary scoring option especially early in his career. Saad doesnt have that pressure.

Saads numbers are on the upward trend and its great to see. I dont expect him to destroy the league like he did in his last year with Saginaw but hes been near a ppg at every level and his all around game is excellent.

btw teammate with Stephan Johns with the Hornets.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No one in the NHL has ever hit triple digit scoring. The NHL record is 92 goals.

I think he is talking about 100 points, something Hossa has done, with Atlanta.

As for Saad, I am not ready to put a ceiling on that guy yet. PPG forward every year seems pretty attainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad