Is Ronalds Kenins a better hockey player than Brandon Prust?

arsmaster*

Yeah, he hasn't shown a lot yet, but at least it looks like he's going to get a chance tonight with a more skilled centre. My biggest reservation about Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata is how they handle tough match ups. A rookie, a near rookie and a veteran who plays a finesse game will struggle against deeper teams unless Willie can keep protected and allow the Sutter line to take the more difficult matchups.

I'm not on the Sutter hate train, but if you want offensive players to succeed in offensive role, you need a C that is more creative with the puck than Sutter. Listen to the way Vrbata talks about Horvat but says basically nothing about Sutter.

Horvat's not in tonight....who are you expecting Sven to line up beside? Vey?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, he hasn't shown a lot yet, but at least it looks like he's going to get a chance tonight with a more skilled centre. My biggest reservation about Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata is how they handle tough match ups. A rookie, a near rookie and a veteran who plays a finesse game will struggle against deeper teams unless Willie can keep protected and allow the Sutter line to take the more difficult matchups.

I'm not on the Sutter hate train, but if you want offensive players to succeed in offensive role, you need a C that is more creative with the puck than Sutter. Listen to the way Vrbata talks about Horvat but says basically nothing about Sutter.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sutter as long as he plays a competent 3C game. We have an elite 3rd liner in Hansen and a very good one in Higgins that can carry a 3rd line.

Higgins - Sutter - Hansen is a pretty top notch 3rd line on paper. Burrows as another 3rd line option pretty much guarantees that the 3rd line will be the least of this team's worries.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

And why would Vrbata say anything about Sutter anyways? Sutter is an experienced NHLer; he doesn't need anyone to pump his tires. He's already made the big show.

Vrbata's comments have more to do with instilling confidence in Horvat so he won't think too much about the sophomore slump. Putting Vrbata, Burrows and Horvat together would be a good way to make Horvat more of an offensive player too and when the 2nd year gets rocky for him, he has Vrbata/Burrows to turn to. Vrbata experienced a sophomore slump and was traded soon after. Burrows also had a horrible 2nd year.

This says more about the Willie than it does the players. Smart coaching.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I believe that lack of him bringing any psychological of hockey minded danger to opposing teams while still adding up points in a point position is and has been for years a big problem. He's a tremendous athlete and plays the boards extremely well but he is easy to play against for other teams.

I'm not even sure that this means...

Samuelsson was injured against Nashville. Higgins was moved up to the 2nd line and got power play time.

He never played with Malhotra. Malhotra had the eye injury and came back only in the finals in a limited 4th C role.

It isn't a fair comparison, because Pearson was able to produce as a "rookie".
A rookie putting up 12 pts in 24 playoff games is unreal. Higgins quite seasoned, 28 year old when we went on the run.

How did Higgins do in the playoff in 2012? 2013? zero points.

There's a whole lot of sample size issues going on here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Guys, I've editted the original post

Guys, I've editted the original post:

Initially, I created a post (which was then converted into a thread by the mods), under the assumption that:

1) Baertschi would automatically be given a Top 6 roster spot
2) Prust would automatically be given the 4th line LW spot due to Benning's preference for veteran leadership.

As it relates to point #1, I assumed that Higgins would be traded if one more prospect made the team, but I'm not sure if this will happen.

My question is this:

If Kenins proves to be a better player than Prust, will Kenins be awarded that 4th line LW spot, or will that spot still go to Prust?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Guys, I've editted the original post:

Initially, I created a post (which was then converted into a thread by the mods), under the assumption that:

1) Baertschi would automatically be given a Top 6 roster spot
2) Prust would automatically be given the 4th line LW spot due to Benning's preference for veteran leadership.

As it relates to point #1, I assumed that Higgins would be traded if one more prospect made the team, but I'm not sure if this will happen.

My question is this:

If Kenins proves to be a better player than Prust, will Kenins be awarded that 4th line LW spot, or will that spot still go to Prust?

IMO, that assumption is far from a sure thing...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
IMO, that assumption is far from a sure thing...

Oh I completely agree with that now. This was my assumption before pre-season started. My current line of thinking is this: Baertschi has zero chemistry with Sutter, and he should be given a chance to play with Horvat. That way, the coaching staff can determine if:

1) Baertschi has only been lackluster so far due to playing with Sutter
2) Baertschi is lackluster regardless of which center he is playing with

If Baertschi stinks it up with Horvat, send him down to Utica.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Horvat-Vrbata
Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen
Kenins-McCann-Dorsett

Prust

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I feel like people shouldn't be able to completely change the context of a thread after people have replied to it. Now it looks like I'm saying Kenins isn't better than Prust.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I feel like people shouldn't be able to completely change the context of a thread after people have replied to it. Now it looks like I'm saying Kenins isn't better than Prust.

I just edited my original post with an explanation. Hence - this should preserve your credibility, along with others that responded.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
EDIT - Sorry guys, but I've edited my original post. I feel that a comparison between Kenins/Prust is far more appropriate than Kenins/Higgins. When I originally created this post, it was under the assumption that Prust would be 'guaranteed' the 4th line LW spot, while Higgins would be traded IF a prospect could beat him out (under the assumption that Baertschi was a shoe-in for Top 6). However - I think things have changed, and I no longer consider Baertschi to be a lock.

Thanks for the heads up, man

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Chances are Prust or Kenins will get injured at some point. If Kenins only plays 50 games, that's an improvement

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Better than starting a new thread.

Kenins doesn't need waivers, so I'd guess he starts in Utica or the press box until Prust gets hurt ~ 4 weeks into the season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Kenins a better hockey player than Prust?...of course he is....and McCann is probably better than Vey; and Hutton is better than Sbisa....but in the end none of the that will matter....Benning is stuck with their contracts and it's too easy to ship out the young guys...the fix is in.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Didn't even realize the title got changed. But yes to the new question.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Is Kenins a better hockey player than Prust?...of course he is....and McCann is probably better than Vey; and Hutton is better than Sbisa....but in the end none of the that will matter....Benning is stuck with their contracts and it's too easy to ship out the young guys...the fix is in.

The fix for top 5 pick!

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Since we gave up Kassian and a 5th for Prust, his spot on the starting roster is cast in stone. But like pretty much every team in the NHL, there is going to be some rotation of wingers between the 3rd line, 4th line and the press box.

My personal hope is that Prust is trade bait at the TDL. Maybe we can get that 5th rounder back.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
a better question might be, is there any player worse than prust?

41564164141.jpg

My personal hope is that Prust is trade bait at the TDL. Maybe we can get that 5th rounder back.

maybe we can trade prust back to montreal for kassian if we add mccann.

what me, assets?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Prust is kind of like Sturm was. Just done. I would dress Jensen over him, let alone players like Gaunce or Kenins.

Terrible player at this point. Beer-league skating. Yet another feather in the cap for Benning's pro scouting eye for talentâ„¢.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad