Is Ronalds Kenins a better hockey player than Brandon Prust?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
EDIT - Sorry guys, but I've edited my original post. I feel that a comparison between Kenins/Prust is far more appropriate than Kenins/Higgins. When I originally created this post, it was under the assumption that Prust would be 'guaranteed' the 4th line LW spot, while Higgins would be traded IF a prospect could beat him out (under the assumption that Baertschi was a shoe-in for Top 6). However - I think things have changed, and I no longer consider Baertschi to be a lock.

Is Ronalds Kenins a better hockey player than Brandon Prust at current?

Do you guys think that Kenins has earned the right to be the team's 4th line LW'er ahead of Brandon Prust? Let me put it this way: Even though Prust was brought in to provide veteran leadership to the 4th line, will WD play Kenins ahead of Prust if Kenins proves to be a better player this season?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata (I am hopeful that Horvat will swap with Sutter sooner than later)

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Kenins-Vey/McCann-Dorsett

Prust = 13th forward.

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Is Ronalds Kenins a better hockey player than Chris Higgins at current?

Yes

Bigger
Faster
plays harder
better shot
and has equal if not better play making while only being 23

Higgins was like a 20th overall iam tired of his marginal play that has no finish

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yes

Bigger
Faster
plays harder
better shot
and has equal if not better play making while only being 23

Higgins was like a 20th overall iam tired of his marginal play that has no finish

I'm not sure if I completely agree with this, as Higgins is far superior offensively than Kenins at this stage in their careers, but here's my thought:

Overall - I don't think Kenins is a downgrade on Higgins.....if at all (for the reasons you state). I don't think the team would be noticeably worse, or even worse at all, if Kenins took Higgins spot on the 3rd line. (Am I mistaken for believing this?).

My ultimate hope is that if a guy like Kenins proves worthy of atleast being the "equivalent" of Higgins, then maybe you can package Higgins + Sbisa for a Top 4 defenseman (even if said Top 4 defenseman is overpaid and makes between 5-7 million, atleast he'd be capable of playing in the Top 4 even if he's a marginal Top 4 guy). Sbisa is just rubbish. I can't see Sbisa turning into a Top 4 guy ever.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Chris Higgins is a better hockey player than Kenins right now; however, this team needs to develop younger players so Ronalds Kenins is the better fit for what this team needs to do.

Higgins would be best utilized on a playoff team that's taking a legitimate run at the Stanley Cup, in a 3rd line role.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
of course not. but that doesn't mean we should keep higgins instead of giving kenins a shot.

of course, we could also keep/play both and chuck dorsett and prust...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Chris Higgins is a better hockey player than Kenins right now; however, this team needs to develop younger players so Ronalds Kenins is the better fit for what this team needs to do.

Higgins would be best utilized on a playoff team that's taking a legitimate run at the Stanley Cup, in a 3rd line role.

Hey!

How are things overseas? (you're in Amsterdam right?). Hope all is going well.

I think I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Even if Higgins is a better player than Kenins at current, is it really by that much? For example - If Kenins played in Higgins' spot right now, would we really be that much worse off?

My other motivation in trading Higgins, is that we can package him off with Sbisa, and take on the contract of an overpaid defenseman worth 5-7 million dollars. Even if said defenseman is grossly overpaid, we can atleast have another Top 4 quality defenseman in the mix....even if said defenseman is a marginal Top 4 calibre guy.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hey!

How are things overseas? (you're in Amsterdam right?). Hope all is going well.

I think I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Even if Higgins is a better player than Kenins at current, is it really by that much? For example - If Kenins played in Higgins' spot right now, would we really be that much worse off?

My other motivation in trading Higgins, is that we can package him off with Sbisa, and take on the contract of an overpaid defenseman worth 5-7 million dollars. Even if said defenseman is grossly overpaid, we can atleast have another Top 4 quality defenseman in the mix....even if said defenseman is a marginal Top 4 calibre guy.

Prague and Berlin, and I'm back now. Thanks!

If we're a legitimate playoff team and a team that has Cup aspirations, you definitely keep Chris Higgins over Ronny Kenins (though in an ideal world you have both). But for where we are, all Chris Higgins does is take a roster spot away from a young player like Kenins or Gaunce, while this team maintains a mediocre status.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Nope. Higgins has proven he's an excellent 3rd line winger who can slot into the top-6 if necessary. Kenins had a strong campaign last season but hasn't proven he's more than a 4th liner yet. He does have a lot of upside though and could very well be a better player than Higgins in the near future.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
If Kenins was, he wouldn't have been a healthy scratch last year despite having great offensive numbers. His defensive game needs refining. Higgins is much better in that department. For the coaches, reliability is key and Kenin, looks like a great energy player gets caught out of position a lot. A full year with Hansen or Higgins, and Kenins should be right up there but as for right now. Nope.

I like Higgins, along with many of the older players in the core but it's clearly a rebuild situation here. Trade them so they can at least have a chance to win the Cup elsewhere. He was great with Kesler. Trade him to Anaheim so they can all win a cup together with the Ducks. Silfverberg - Kesler - Higgins.

arsmaster*

Seems like a lazy comp.

Of course he's not better than Higgins, but he's probably already better than Prust/Dorsett (at 1/4 the cost).

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

really? a contender would have higgins on the 3rd line? not impactful enough.

2 pts in last 15 playoff games.

21 pts in career 62 playoff games.

he's an ok 3rd liner, but surely not a great one on a contender.

Kenins is already better yes.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
really? a contender would have higgins on the 3rd line? not impactful enough.

2 pts in last 15 playoff games.

21 pts in career 62 playoff games.

he's an ok 3rd liner, but surely not a great one on a contender.

Kenins is already better yes.

He was one win away from winning the Cup as a 2nd line winger. He's a great complimentary player that play anywhere. Teams that win have players that can play all over the lineup and can be reliable at the same time. Jonathan Toews won the cup having 14 points in 24 games as the number 1 center. Last year, the Hawks 2nd and 3rd lines produced at a close to .5 point page. That's exactly where Higgins is at.

Last edited:

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
He was one win away from winning the Cup as a 2nd line winger. He's a great complimentary player that play anywhere. Teams that win have players that can play all over the lineup. Jonathan Toews won the cup having 14 points in 24 games as the number 1 center.

So was Mason Raymond then. Doesn't mean contending teams are lining up to insert Mason Raymond on their 3rd line.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
So was Mason Raymond then. Doesn't mean contending teams are lining up to insert Mason Raymond on their 3rd line.

I don't like Raymond either, but you don't know that. Chicago picks up scraps every year and it works out for them. Bryan Bickell still has a career because what he did 3 years ago. Still managed to play 18 games, all over the Hawks lineup despite scoring 0 goals.

That Tampa team that went to the finals last year was even more comical. The Bottom six combined for 5 goals.

In the playoffs it's all about being reliable. Higgins knows how to be reliable and put up some points at the same time. He'd be a good complimentary player on any team. Kenins gets caught out of position too much, which is why he was a healthy scratch. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't like Raymond either, but you don't know that. Chicago picks up scraps every year and it works out for them.

scraps?

Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Kane, Richards, Teuvo, Bickell, Shaw, Versteeg

thats probably their top 10 forwards.

Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Kane clearly better than Raymond/Higgins type players.

Brad Richards former Conn Smythe trophy is a scrap?

Teuvo tons of skill, only a few months older than Horvat, put up 10 pts in 18 games this past cup run....

Bickell was a huge part of that 2013 cup run, 6'4 powerforward. As he struggled this year, he was sat. What would happen to raymond/higgins?

Versteeg, another guy that played top 6 in multiple teams, and has a much higher impact/ppg in the playoffs than either raymond/higgins.

Shaw is a very gritty player and brings and element that raymond/higgins never will bring.

----------------

One of the weakest link on our cup run team was our 2nd line wingers. Raymond/Higgins.

Hence the name "helicopter" line describing Kesler with no wings.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
scraps?

Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Kane, Richards, Teuvo, Bickell, Shaw, Versteeg

thats probably their top 10 forwards.

Toews, Hossa, Saad, Sharp, Kane clearly better than Raymond/Higgins type players.

Brad Richards former Conn Smythe trophy is a scrap?

Teuvo tons of skill, only a few months older than Horvat, put up 10 pts in 18 games this past cup run....

Bickell was a huge part of that 2013 cup run, 6'4 powerforward. As he struggled this year, he was sat. What would happen to raymond/higgins?

Versteeg, another guy that played top 6 in multiple teams, and has a much higher impact/ppg in the playoffs than either raymond/higgins.

Shaw is a very gritty player and brings and element that raymond/higgins never will bring.

----------------

One of the weakest link on our cup run team was our 2nd line wingers. Raymond/Higgins.

Hence the name "helicopter" line describing Kesler with no wings.

Don't name previous accomplishments. Everyone who watched hockey knew Brad Richards was a shell of his former self. The guy was being carried by Patrick Kane. Versteeg and Bickell did absolutely nothing. Shaw was undisciplined and was scrutinized the whole playoffs for being overly aggressive and getting stupid penalties. Same with Desjardins. Vermette never jelled on the team and was mostly a healthy scratched until they had to have him on the team. The bottom pair barley even played. They ran with 4 defense man.

Has anyone even heard of the helicopter line? That's the first time I've heard it. Raymond was only stuck there because the team ran into injuries.

A key player on that Hawks team was Marcus Kruger and he put up 4 points because he could play his role. Just like, Higgins knows how to play his without doing anything stupid.

Last edited:

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Don't name previous accomplishments. Everyone who watched hockey knew Brad Richards was a shell of his former self. The guy was being carried by Patrick Kane. Versteeg and Bickell did absolutely nothing. Shaw was undisciplined and was scrutinized the whole playoffs for being overly aggressive and getting stupid penalties. Vermette never jelled on the team and was mostly a healthy scratched until they had to have him on the team. The bottom pair barley even played. They ran with 4 defense man.

Has anyone even heard of the helicopter line? That's the first time I've heard it.

Brad Richards is 35 years old and still got 14 pts in 23 games? A shell of Richards is still better than Higgins thats the point.

Bickell and Versteeg did nothing and what happened? they got benched..

If higgins put up 2 pts in 15 playoff games for chicago, would he continue to play?

You just made my point, Vermette who was one of the better players available at the deadline barely got to play for Chicago. They just used him at C for faceoffs and some matchups.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Brad Richards is 35 years old and still got 14 pts in 23 games? A shell of Richards is still better than Higgins thats the point.

Bickell and Versteeg did nothing and what happened? they got benched..

If higgins put up 2 pts in 15 playoff games for chicago, would he continue to play?

You just made my point, Vermette who was one of the better players available at the deadline barely got to play for Chicago. They just used him at C for faceoffs and some matchups.

Again. Brad Richards got carried by Patrick Kane. Richard was slow and was a liability for the most part.

Versteeg and Bickell weren't benched because they didn't put up points. The main reason they got benched because they weren't reliable.

This argument is pointless. I can already see that you don't really watch or follow hockey. I don't think I can follow this conversation any longer. It's a waste of time. I feel like I'm responding to someone who doesn't know anything about hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad