Is Rob Blake the Problem?

Should he stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
-100% agreed on the 2nd-step theory. What happens next matters most. That's the reason for my "I" grade.

There are plenty of examples, too. Buffalo is one. Edmonton is another. Yet were any of those teams ever really on 'top' of the prospect rankings except during one offseason with a generational pick in their back pockets? Those are teams that suck at drafting beyond the 1st; we've actually been excellent at it.

I guess I'm more taking issue with people who want to give him an F for 'misreading*' the team and then give him another F for starting the rebuild a year late. AKA there's nothing he can do after that initial misread to get back in the black. And I say that as a guy who doesn't particularly care about Blake one way or another, I just think he gets a bad rap (as a GM) and no benefit of the doubt for no real reason.

*Which goes back to the idea that even though the result was wrong the philosophy was sound--taking a team with Hart/Selke, Norris finalists and a rejuvenated quick, 1st in PK, 1st in defense, and adding a scorer. It collapsed in spectacular manner, but there are a whole lot of people deliberately ignoring the 'why,' and I would also argue it does signal that when Blake sees a contender, he's ready to make moves to push them over the top, like the rumored Pacioretty deal (and we should be glad they didn't happen, just like we were ultimately glad DL swing and missed on Chara, B Richards, etc.).

I think he's taking an absolute beating for some things he has no control over, a rightful critique on at least one thing he did (Kovalchuk/contender saga), but is also getting little to no credit for the prospect pool, good little moves (Muzzin), and lack of sunk cost fallacy (cammy sucked so moving him for jokinen etc).

I definitely don’t give Blake an F. An incomplete is a fair grade at this point.

He’ll approach hot seat territory with me in 21/22 if none of his prospects have graduated yet and the team is still finishing dead last or close to it.

This season has been a huge bummer because we don’t even get to watch exciting, new, young players begin to develop in the pros. In even the worst early DL years, we got to watch Kopitar and co. develop. It gave me a reason to turn on games.

I can’t remember the last season I felt this disinterested in watching the Kings. Probably sometime in the mid 00s.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Folks were in a three year rebuild.Blake is doing a good job.Were not going to compete for the playoffs at lease two more years.This year and next is about the best draft position possible and trading for assets.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This season has been a huge bummer because we don’t even get to watch exciting, new, young players begin to develop in the pros. In even the worst early DL years, we got to watch Kopitar and co. develop. It gave me a reason to turn on games.

I understand the sentiment, but Lombardi inherited Brown and Kopitar. By 2006-07, Brown had a full season under his belt. If the rebuild started with Vilardi, then Blake still has another year before he needs to make the team to be on par with Lombardi.

We’ll likely see some guys make the jump next season, including Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Clague, and possibly Bjornfot. Grundstrom, Fagemo, and Kaliyev all have a chance as well. Turcotte? One of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle? Who knows. We have a lot of good talent coming our way. Believe it or not, Lombardi inherited more talent in the pipeline than Blake did.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Folks were in a three year rebuild.Blake is doing a good job.Were not going to compete for the playoffs at lease two more years.This year and next is about the best draft position possible and trading for assets.
Might wanna talk to teams like Edmonton, Carolina, Columbus, Arizona, Florida etc on how their 3 year builds are coming along.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Might wanna talk to teams like Edmonton, Carolina, Columbus, Arizona, Florida etc on how their 3 year builds are coming along.

True, however it is encouraging that LA has the top ranked prospect system in recent reports by TSN, ESPN and The Athletic.

Not sure if those teams lists (except maybe Carolina) could say the same. Even Carolina made a deep run last year and is seeing the fruits of their rebuild. Team I would add to your list is Buffalo. They sold every good player in hopes to land McDavid, lost the lottery but still got a franchise player. Have struggled since.

Reactions: deaderhead28

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Honestly, I have always thought it would take longer than 3 years. More on the order of 5-6 years, because the prospect pool was so depleted. That is why is was against handing out 8-year contracts to Kopitar and Doughty (they won't be around for any success the rebuild brings). All Lombardi and Blake did by not recognizing the ride was over, was to extend the calendar date by which the Kings may be contenders again.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I understand the sentiment, but Lombardi inherited Brown and Kopitar. By 2006-07, Brown had a full season under his belt. If the rebuild started with Vilardi, then Blake still has another year before he needs to make the team to be on par with Lombardi.

We’ll likely see some guys make the jump next season, including Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Clague, and possibly Bjornfot. Grundstrom, Fagemo, and Kaliyev all have a chance as well. Turcotte? One of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle? Who knows. We have a lot of good talent coming our way. Believe it or not, Lombardi inherited more talent in the pipeline than Blake did.
I don't see the Kings integrating any more than two or three rookies into the lineup next season.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Were you hibernating last year? I know the record is worse this year but the games have been much more entertaining to watch...

I had a weird morbid fascination with just how stunningly bad they were last year, probably because a lot of people expected them to be good. I was thoroughly entertained by the Willie D tank commander games.

This year you knew they were going to be bad, they didn't try to hide it, so it's just sort of been a write off season for me.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
So far I've liked Blake's way of doing business as a GM. I don't agree with all of his decisions, but once he decided that the rebuild was on, he hasn't wavered from that path, despite the ugly record that goes with it. He has not been swayed by sentimentality or loyalty; instead he has maximized returns on his most valued assets. As a fan, it sucks to see parts of the Cup winning teams leave and the team suck, but, as an observer, I am quite pleased with what Blake is doing.

With the prospect pool Blake has accumulated along with a stockpile of picks, you can start to see a fast and highly skilled group of forwards all emerging together as a group. In two to three years I wouldn't be surprised if pundits around the league describe the Kings in the same way they talked about the Avalanche a couple of years ago.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Rob Blake is the cause of, and the solution to, all of our problems.

There, I have all the bases covered now.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I don't think he is "the" problem, but certainly a big part of the problem.

His trading seriously sucks.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
This thread pisses me off seeing it everyday. Kovalchuk and Kopi+Doughty contracts aside, maybe make it in 2-3 years when we can see how his plans have come into fruition.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
To me , having DD and AK signed for another 8 years is completely inconsistent with the timing of this rebuild as far as the younger players coming through over the next five years. So trade both now, if possible. I know, NTC. But this is the albatross in the room that ain’t going nowhere. Do you think for one minute DD pictures himself in 5 years as the 3rd pairing D with two 22 year old studs lighting it up? Same for Kopi. The timing of this whole thing is way off now.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Honestly, I have always thought it would take longer than 3 years. More on the order of 5-6 years, because the prospect pool was so depleted. That is why is was against handing out 8-year contracts to Kopitar and Doughty (they won't be around for any success the rebuild brings). All Lombardi and Blake did by not recognizing the ride was over, was to extend the calendar date by which the Kings may be contenders again.
We agree

Jun 30, 2006
We’ll see how it all shakes out. I’m hoping Blake stays on with Futa/Hextall below him. The problem is Luc and he needs to go.

The Toffoli trade media conference call was interesting, probably Blake’s best in his tenure. A little Lombardiesque. I get a different vibe when he’s talking about hockey when it’s just him and Futa. They expanded a little bit on the “plan” and what kind of team they are looking to build. After this deadline they are pivoting to development and acquiring player’s that will fit their lineup next season and after.

When Luc’s in the room, it’s different, more of a sales pitch than just talking hockey.

Anyway, hope Blake/Futa can expand some more after the deadline.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
There’s an old joke up north about the Finlander that tried to swim across the lake, got half way, decided he couldn’t make it, so he swam back. This is Blake now. The truth is we’d be probably just as safe on either shore right now. Load up with vets and see if a room full of them can win the cup, or get rid of everybody and play ONLY kids. I realize Kopi and DD are around, but you can certainly move them down the lineup, even scratch them if you want.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
We’ll see how it all shakes out. I’m hoping Blake stays on with Futa/Hextall below him. The problem is Luc and he needs to go.

The Toffoli trade media conference call was interesting, probably Blake’s best in his tenure. A little Lombardiesque. I get a different vibe when he’s talking about hockey when it’s just him and Futa. They expanded a little bit on the “plan” and what kind of team they are looking to build. After this deadline they are pivoting to development and acquiring player’s that will fit their lineup next season and after.

When Luc’s in the room, it’s different, more of a sales pitch than just talking hockey.

Anyway, hope Blake/Futa can expand some more after the deadline.

After this upcoming draft, Blake is going to be much closer to a position where he will need to maybe package pick/prospects for immediate help that fits in the age range this team is lacking. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

In the meantime, he is doing what he has done since the Muzzin deal: accumulating as many futures as possible. Perfect. Glad he hasn't wavered and done anything stupid. It will be interesting to see, however, if they just sit on all of this cap space or if they make a move to be more competitive next season outside of just promoting some prospects.

Jun 30, 2006
After this upcoming draft, Blake is going to be much closer to a position where he will need to maybe package pick/prospects for immediate help that fits in the age range this team is lacking. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

In the meantime, he is doing what he has done since the Muzzin deal: accumulating as many futures as possible. Perfect. Glad he hasn't wavered and done anything stupid. It will be interesting to see, however, if they just sit on all of this cap space or if they make a move to be more competitive next season outside of just promoting some prospects.

My interpretation of yesterday’s presser, was that they will start identifying additions to the nhl lineup after this trade deadline.

Blake is accumulating picks and prospects as potential trade sweeteners to either move up in the draft or acquire someone to fill an nhl slot. I was glad to hear Blake isn’t going to just call up everyone in Ontario, guys need to earn it and I’m guessing Blake is going to sign a few bridge players.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I also can't imagine we're going to have more than 10 picks in this draft. Imagine some of them will be packaged to move for higher picks or players or on to next years' drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad