Is Rob Blake the Problem?

Should he stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
To me , having DD and AK signed for another 8 years is completely inconsistent with the timing of this rebuild as far as the younger players coming through over the next five years. So trade both now, if possible. I know, NTC. But this is the albatross in the room that ain’t going nowhere. Do you think for one minute DD pictures himself in 5 years as the 3rd pairing D with two 22 year old studs lighting it up? Same for Kopi. The timing of this whole thing is way off now.

:huh: Would Kopi or DD not be in the same position on other teams in 5 years?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
BEdeJ1.gif

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Go.

Blake has made a few major boners during his tenure. Sure all GM's do but blake has done nothing to really distinguish himself as being anything other than average at best. We need someone who is exceptional, it is what we expect of our players and should damn well be what we expect of our management too.

Blake has had enough time to prove himself, time to find a truly exceptional gm to get us back to where we belong.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Go.

Blake has made a few major boners during his tenure. Sure all GM's do but blake has done nothing to really distinguish himself as being anything other than average at best. We need someone who is exceptional, it is what we expect of our players and should damn well be what we expect of our management too.

Blake has had enough time to prove himself, time to find a truly exceptional gm to get us back to where we belong.

antonio-banderas-reaction-gif.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
No point?

I mean, is he not doing exactly what this team needs? I’m lost as to what exactly he’s doing that is hurting the future of the team. Look at the prospect pool now versus what he started with. How anyone can complain about this rebuild is beyond me.

And it will take time to reap the benefits and rewards from this rebuild. Or were you expecting a quick fix and playoff contention this season?

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Go.

Though I partially agree with you, Blake has done amazing at the draft and signing college free agents. He has been the best GM when it comes to restocking the farm. Yeah, obviously sucking will get you a top prospect like Turcotte, but Kupari, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Fagemo, etc. were all drafted by Blake because of good drafting, not luck.

That being said, his success depends on if he can get these prospects to transition to the NHL. He needs to make that next step to be considered better than average for me.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The jury is still out on Blake's draft and the staff's ability to develop players. It's great that some of these kids are playing well in juniors or in college, but it has to translate to the NHL, and we are at least a few years from knowing how it is going to turn out.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
For me, personally, the rebuild started the moment they traded Muzzin. Toffoli, Clifford, Campbell and now Martinez, is just helping to stock our cupboards.

I can't blame Blake for the team struggling after the 2014 season. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I don't know that he had a plan in place when he took the reigns because of the belief that this team was a contender. We had roughly the same team that won in 2014. Whether it was Dean being too loyal, Sutter grinding these guys into corpses or the "shocking" losses of Richards, Stoll and Williams - something made this team lose their passion. Whatever that something was, it wasn't Blake.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If a GM comes into a loaded team who is ready to win, and can't get them over the hump in 3 years, then yea, maybe you fire him.

But what if a GM comes into a shitstorm with over payed, underachieving players, accompanied by a terrible farm system? Then, in less than 3 years he builds that into one of the top (or the top) systems in the league. No reason to fire him, at least I can't think of one. Especially now that he's cleaning house and the team will have a crapload of cap to fill out the roster in a couple years when the young guys take the next step.

I can't even judge him yet because we have no idea how all this will turn out, but most Kings fans wanted two things - the aging vets gone and an exciting young group of prospects. Blake is delivering on both right now. Not gonna lie, it's difficult at times to separate Blake the player from Blake the GM, but it's becoming easier as we see the direction the team is headed.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Will management stick with Blake’s plan though in a major market like LA?

At the end of this year, Kings will have only made the playoffs 2x in 6 seasons and won 1 playoff game. How long will AEG let this go on for? Will they put up with another 1-2 years of crap?

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

At the end of this year, Kings will have only made the playoffs 2x in 6 seasons and won 1 playoff game. How long will AEG let this go on for? Will they put up with another 1-2 years of crap?

It’s true LA loves a winner but everyone is used to the Kings sucking for decades at a time.

Blake is assembling an arsenal of young talent that HF Boards posters will be stroking themselves to for years. He and his staff should be given the chance to develop them IMO.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Yes. He signed TMac to that length of contract because of this.

If you didn't already know, we're in the early stages of a rebuild. Do you honestly expect a rebuilding team to contend in 1-2 years!?

Jun 30, 2006
But what if a GM comes into a ****storm with over payed, underachieving players, accompanied by a terrible farm system?
Sorry that’s not what they were selling. Nobody should be buying that excuse, doesn’t explain the Kovalcbuk signing. They are at fault for not recognizing that there was an overhaul needed.

He was forced into a rebuild when plan A went to ****.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Sorry that’s not what they were selling. Nobody should be buying that excuse, doesn’t explain the Kovalcbuk signing. They are at fault for not recognizing that there was an overhaul needed.

You keep posting about this. Did Blake convince you the Kings were going to the finals and you put down a ton of money in Vegas that wiped you out or something? If so, I'm sorry man.

Jun 30, 2006
You keep posting about this. Did Blake convince you the Kings were going to the finals and you put down a ton of money in Vegas that wiped you out or something? If so, I'm sorry man.

The point is, the decision makers were the ones convinced.

I don’t have any say over roster decisions, lol. I’m just a guy on a hockey message board, it doesn’t matter if I was convinced or not. What matters is what they said and they completely misread the team then.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Of course they will put up with it. They are not idiots unlike half the people on this board, rebuilds take time. It’s very clear that there is a plan they are working to and it’s not a two year plan. That’s why we have a coach on a five-year deal, it is expected that he will be here for the long haul. Everything that is being done points to a long-term vision not a short term fix.

Everyone wants to see the organisation set up for long-term success but there are those wants it delivered in the short term. It does not work both ways. If you want long-term success it takes time to build the foundations to make that possible.

Blake is not yet a great GM, however he is on the right path and we won’t know how good he really is for 2-3 years at least. Note ‘at least’....

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I don’t think that’s the case. I think he was forced to do retool and then when that was clearly not going to work only then was he allowed to go full rebuild. I’m fairly certain the initial plan was the brief he was given.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019

He may have got it wrong thinking they were contenders, but he realized early enough and began the rebuild immediately. Him getting it wrong cost kovis cap hit and that it, and once the rebuild started it was irrelevant. Its not like he got it wrong and the kings were a bubble team missing the playoffs and picking 15th, he went from playoffs one year to top 5 pick the next. Its been less than two years since their last playoff series and they have the #1 rated prospect pool in the league with looking like 6 picks in the top 60 in the next draft to add to that pool including another top 5.

If you can name a better way to go about it after the 17-18 season I'd like to hear it, but anyone who thinks they were tearing down a side full of 2x cup winners prior to last season they are delusional, you ride that train until the end of the line.

Reactions: crassbonanza

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Go.

TG did you fall and hit your head?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
A retool isn't keeping everyone and then adding an old UFA while coming close to trading futures before settling for said UFA.

He thought he had a contender and was sticking with it. He was proven horribly wrong. Thankfully, he hit the eject button last January with the Muzzin trade and hasn't looked back.

The positive here is that a mistake was recognized and the necessary 180 in planning occured. That's great but the total airball that was his initial assessment leads many of us to be skeptical that he has the chops for when the rubber really hits the road for this rebuild.

That time is coming soon. Lot of veterans gone. A Handzus type signing would be nice for next season. Overpay for some character. It can't just be kids out there. I'm all for another high pick next year but they need to show some progress under T-Mac that is more than just underlying stats.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
A retool isn't keeping everyone and then adding an old UFA while coming close to trading futures before settling for said UFA.

He thought he had a contender and was sticking with it. He was proven horribly wrong. Thankfully, he hit the eject button last January with the Muzzin trade and hasn't looked back.

The positive here is that a mistake was recognized and the necessary 180 in planning occured. That's great but the total airball that was his initial assessment leads many of us to be skeptical that he has the chops for when the rubber really hits the road for this rebuild.

That time is coming soon. Lot of veterans gone. A Handzus type signing would be nice for next season. Overpay for some character. It can't just be kids out there. I'm all for another high pick next year but they need to show some progress under T-Mac that is more than just underlying stats.
Yup this. I’m no Blake lover but he’s done well to restock, I’ll give him that. I just don’t have a lot of faith in his ability to judge the pulse of his team and make the right moves when we shift back to trying to be competitive. Our biggest hope and simultaneously our biggest concern is that it wasn’t him driving the initial “retool”, but if it was Luc or whoever, then that’s a whole other problem in and of itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad