Is Ralph Kreuger making a return to NHL?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kreuger will 100% be a wanted man in the NHL.

He just finished a 5 year stint in the English Premier as the Chairman of Southhampton FC.

Kreuger is known for his forward thinking and analytical mind. His leadership and motivational abilities are world class.

I dont know how he would do as coach again but I have zero doubt he would be an incredible President/Manager

Who would be interested ? Canucks come to mind right away.

https://www.tsn.ca/krueger-departs-as-chairman-of-southampton-1.1289378

Reactions: Ippenator

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Sure, someone who just spent 5 years behind a desk asset-stripping a soccer team and has 40 games coaching experience 7 years ago will make a great coach.

Just because this guy can motivate a room for a week doesn't mean he can coach an NHL team to success.

Reactions: Beerfish

Aug 3, 2010
What's missing from the OP is:
How did Kreuger do with Southampton?

I don't follow any of the football leagues over there on a regular basis, but based on performance metrics of his team, is there good reason he should be re-examined as a good option for an NHL team needing direction?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

I don't follow any of the football leagues over there on a regular basis, but based on performance metrics of his team, is there good reason he should be re-examined as a good option for an NHL team needing direction?
Won the league championship his first year in Southampton.

Came back to coach the 'Leftover' team at the World Cup of Hockey and surprised the shit out of everyone with a 2nd place finish.

Also that horrible Oilers squad he coached was almost in a playoff spot and made a massive leap the year he coached. Also managed to get Yakupov scoring at a high rate.

A lot of us Oiler fans were pretty upset he was let go.

He gets a lot out of his teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

There’s no salary cap for football. So, from what others are saying Southampton isn’t in the same stratosphere of spending as Man U, Man City, Liverpool, etc. Probably in the 3rd quadrant of teams in the 20 team EPL.

Have to look at it from the POV of whether he delivered on his mandate from the owner. What is the goal of the team and their direction.

Reactions: Voight

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kreuger will 100% be a wanted man in the NHL.

He just finished a 5 year stint in the English Premier as the Chairman of Southhampton FC.

Kreuger is known for his forward thinking and analytical mind. His leadership and motivational abilities are world class.

I dont know how he would do as coach again but I have zero doubt he would be an incredible President/Manager

Who would be interested ? Canucks come to mind right away.

https://www.tsn.ca/krueger-departs-as-chairman-of-southampton-1.1289378

If Matheson says it, if you're a smart team, do the exact opposite.

Scratch him off the list immediately.

Reactions: McRpro and Voight

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Probably, Oilers are only the masters of recycling former employees.

And matheson has a hard on for any current employee like Gretzky and Hitchcock.

Kreuger still choked about being fired via Skype.

Doubt he goes back to Edm.

Tho he would be 1000x better than any executive they've had recently

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Krueger did a good job at Southampton, but everything changed for him and the club once Gao Jisheng bought a majority holding in the club. Were Jisheng to own an NHL club, he would comfortably be the worst owner in the entire league bar none. Melnyk and Katz, each with their own warts, look like saints in comparison.* Edmonton would be lucky to have him as a President of Hockey Operations.

*The Saints is the nickname for Southampton FC, so this is a good joke.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Krueger did a good job at Southampton, but everything changed for him and the club once Gao Jisheng bought a majority holding in the club. Were Jisheng to own an NHL club, he would comfortably be the worst owner in the entire league bar none. Melnyk and Katz, each with their own warts, look like saints in comparison.* Edmonton would be lucky to have him as a President of Hockey Operations.

*The Saints is the nickname for Southampton FC, so this is a good joke.

No one could be worse than Melnyk. That's unpossible.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Can’t see him considering Edmonton as an option based on all the usual characters still being there that fired him.

Rangers would prob be the big one.

Canucks might be a consideration if they overpay

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Won the league championship his first year in Southampton.

Came back to coach the 'Leftover' team at the World Cup of Hockey and surprised the **** out of everyone with a 2nd place finish.

Also that horrible Oilers squad he coached was almost in a playoff spot and made a massive leap the year he coached. Also managed to get Yakupov scoring at a high rate.

A lot of us Oiler fans were pretty upset he was let go.

He gets a lot out of his teams.
This sums it up nicely.

I do however think he would be an excellent assistant. He hasn't developed that ability to create a solid stylistic team and adapt to changes in games so I don't think a head coach gig is good for him yet.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Is it supposed to be some kind of joke that almost everyone spells Krueger's name wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad