Is Rakell becoming the next Bobby Ryan for us ?

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Me and 405 have stated that we should get rid of this pouting heartless loser, but noooo everyone here said we cannot get rid of him and he's a mainstay.

Look how the tables have turned.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Me and 405 have stated that we should get rid of this pouting heartless loser, but noooo everyone here said we cannot get rid of him and he's a mainstay.

Look how the tables have turned.
We cant afford to move him. For what he potentially brings to the team we wont find it cheaper in FA and we don't have anyone coming to replace him right now. If we move on it will be the year before he hits UFA and it will depend on what he is asking for.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Rakell is done. He is what he is.

Get a first rounder for him and move on.
Actually, the frustrating part about Rakell, is that he ISNT what he has been the last 2 years.

I can guarantee you if he goes somewhere else and he gets a fire lit under his ass he will perform.

the issue here for him is 2 things:
1) he hasn’t had a great center to play with since Getzlaf declined. Henrique is a nice player but he has never and will never be mistaken for a top line player. Getz is still solid but he’s fallen off a lot due to age
2) he’s become too used to living the good life in Newport Beach. This is speculation Ultimately but I believe it to be true. He got married to that hot Swedish chick and I doubt his priorities are really geared towards being the best hockey player he can be. The guy is 26 years old and will be absolutely cashing out on a 6 year/40+ million dollar deal if he has a good contract year in a couple years. Where’s the incentive to try until then?

All in all I agree Bob probably just has to get what he can for him but not for the reasons you suggest

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Funny topic. I see a bunch of people drawing conclusions on a single player during the last two seasons when basically the whole team has sucked. So Rakell isn't a leader type that shows others how to step up in bad situations. I don't think he ever was.

"His drop in numbers coincides with Getzlaf no longer being elite..." So you agree he is a great forward with an elite center. Doesn't that mean our issues are with lacking good centers to feed Rakell then? Finding forwards who can create everything themselves on a line with a 3C is not going to be cheap.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Funny topic. I see a bunch of people drawing conclusions on a single player during the last two seasons when basically the whole team has sucked. So Rakell isn't a leader type that shows others how to step up in bad situations. I don't think he ever was.

"His drop in numbers coincides with Getzlaf no longer being elite..." So you agree he is a great forward with an elite center. Doesn't that mean our issues are with lacking good centers to feed Rakell then? Finding forwards who can create everything themselves on a line with a 3C is not going to be cheap.

A major issue with Rakell isn’t just that he hasn’t stepped up and led the team. It’s that his effort levels when things aren’t going well are pathetic and he’s spent good chunks of each of the last two years doing absolutely nothing before showing up once again once the pressure is off and we are all but mathematically eliminated.

As I’ve said, it’s probably best for both parties if we just move on. With the team where it’s at currently and him having two years left on his deal now is the ideal time to move him. He’s certainly not someone I feel comfortable with giving a long term deal that kicks in when he’s 29.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Rakell has been pretty good at the beginning and the end of each of the last 2 seasons. He's not an elite player but when he's on he can drive a line. The issue is when he stops moving his feet. If he played like he did at the end of each of the last 2 seasons nobody would complain about him even if he wasn't scoring 30 goals.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

my problem with rakell is the complete lack of intensity. It would be less frustrating if he appeared to be trying every shift and just couldnt quite click without that elite center. Something just doesn't sit right with me about bringing rookies (our top 10 picks) onto a team and forcing them to carry our offense while our best forward floats around the left circle only to engage when fed a one timer pass or when taking long wristers on the pp.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
A major issue with Rakell isn’t just that he hasn’t stepped up and led the team. It’s that his effort levels when things aren’t going well are pathetic and he’s spent good chunks of each of the last two years doing absolutely nothing before showing up once again once the pressure is off and we are all but mathematically eliminated.

As I’ve said, it’s probably best for both parties if we just move on. With the team where it’s at currently and him having two years left on his deal now is the ideal time to move him. He’s certainly not someone I feel comfortable with giving a long term deal that kicks in when he’s 29.
I think you are exaggerating. He has always been somewhat invisible when things aren't going well even when he was great with Getzlaf. The last two years have been worse, but as I said the whole team has been worse. I don't want to single out Rakell yet.

Regarding Getzlaf importance, we can compare it with the outstanding line Silfverberg-Kesler-Cogliano. Silfverberg just isn't as good as back then when playing with elite Kesler. One could argue that Siflverberg has a higher effort level than Rakell, but he is not producing more and the defensive side has also been worse last years and he is currently more expensive than Rakell.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
What is a realistic expectation on a return? I think Bobby was the better player however I think Rakell’s contract value makes up the difference. Bobby was also imo going to get PAID no matter what. I feel like Rakell’s next contract will take up less of the cap percent on a new team than What Bobby’s did which GM’s will favor. Can anyone point out a team on the cusp of the playoffs that can offer us a similar package to what Bobby returned? I know the pick with Bobby ended up being number 10 oa for us but wasn’t the expectation of it a 15-25 range?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What is a realistic expectation on a return? I think Bobby was the better player however I think Rakell’s contract value makes up the difference. Bobby was also imo going to get PAID no matter what. I feel like Rakell’s next contract will take up less of the cap percent on a new team than What Bobby’s did which GM’s will favor. Can anyone point out a team on the cusp of the playoffs that can offer us a similar package to what Bobby returned? I know the pick with Bobby ended up being number 10 oa for us but wasn’t the expectation of it a 15-25 range?

I think something similar to Ryan is feasible. You’re right that Rakell has a better contract and that Ryan was a better player. Ryan had scored 30 goals 4/5 seasons in the league and had proven he could score both with and without Getzlaf as he spent a lot of time on his own line and was a very good line driver (I remember him Koivu and Sexton working really well for a 1/4 of a year and him and Bonino always worked together).

I think expectation was the Sens pick would be in the 20 range, they definitely weren’t expected to miss the playoffs at that point in time.

Reactions: Kalv

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Florida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad