Is Rakell becoming the next Bobby Ryan for us ?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Does he have the same personal issues?
Is he on a 5.25m-7m long term contract?

Rakell on his current contract is worth the player he was last year. Everything else is/was a huge steal. I think he can provide more than Bobby.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He obviously hasn’t stepped up the past two seasons and hasn’t shown any glimpse of being one of the leaders that will be taking a leadership role. He wouldn’t be worth extending a big contract at this point, so it would make sense to trade him now so could get a Ryan type of return. I just don’t think he has the grittiness to be a leader and he his game lost its motor and he’s become too much of a perimeter player. It would be ok if he was pure finesse but he just doesn’t have the skating speed to drive play. All he has right now is an elite wrist shot and he tries to be fancy by dangling around dmen because he’s too lazy.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
So we will get a Bobby Ryan return for a player that is soft and lazy, has just an elite wrister and dangles from time to time?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Rakell was never as good as Ryan at his best. His drop in numbers coincides with Getzlaf no longer being elite and as a result he’s being shuffled around the lineup more and it seems to be affecting his effort levels and consistency even more than normal.

Personally I think it’s time to move on. His effort level throughout the middle stage of the season when we needed him the most was pretty poor. Two years in a row it’s been after we are all but mathematically eliminated that he starts producing which has managed to salvage his season numbers somewhat.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah rakell has never been as good as ryan was

is rakell getting sick of playing under getzlaf and perry's shadow?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ryan at least showed more competitive nature than Rakell, who often didn’t respond when other teams went after him and just floated. He’s not going to get a 10th overall pick and prospects for Ryan who had all star caliber seasons. He should get more of a return than Pageau, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Maybe we can get mid/late 1st, 2nd, and decent prospect at best.

For a straight up player trade it might be pretty limited. Maybe a Gostisbehere who could help our PP?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Murray gave an interview after the season was cancelled talking about how he had a really productive 2 and a half hour talk with Rakell about the state of the team and the season ending, and Rakell wore an A for a few games when I believe Manson and Fowler were both hurt (may have been Manson and Silf) so I think he is looked at as part of the leadership core on the team. I totally agree that his effort was lackluster a good chunk of the year, but I don't think that on-ice motor is as correlated with leadership in the room as fans sometimes think it is.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Lmao, what. Murray didn’t want to deal with Bobby and dealt him. He extended Rakell and seems him as a solid piece
Rakell is only slightly older than Bobby was when we traded him. Ryan was entering the 4th year of a 5 year deal, and Rakell will be entering the 5th year of a 6 year deal. These are pretty similar situations, other than the fact that Bobby seemed unhappy for whatever reason.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lmao, what. Murray didn’t want to deal with Bobby and dealt him. He extended Rakell and seems him as a solid piece

He extended Ryan too after his ELC just like he did Rakell....

Ryan being moved was to change the makeup of the team and his cap space was used to acquire Kesler.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Murray gave an interview after the season was cancelled talking about how he had a really productive 2 and a half hour talk with Rakell about the state of the team and the season ending, and Rakell wore an A for a few games when I believe Manson and Fowler were both hurt (may have been Manson and Silf) so I think he is looked at as part of the leadership core on the team. I totally agree that his effort was lackluster a good chunk of the year, but I don't think that on-ice motor is as correlated with leadership in the room as fans sometimes think it is.

Loads of players wore letters last season, I wouldn’t read much into that (although I don’t actually recall ever seeing an A on Rakell, was that early or late in the year).

Silfverberg, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler and Henrique all wore As at different points of the season FWIW.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Loads of players wore letters last season, I wouldn’t read much into that (although I don’t actually recall ever seeing an A on Rakell, was that early or late in the year).

Silfverberg, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler and Henrique all wore As at different points of the season FWIW.

It was early on. I distinctly remember commenting in a GDT that the A looked good on him because of how hard he was working that game. Then shortly after he just stopped hustling until the trade deadline.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
If we can get a mid first and a decent prospect, I say we for sure should trade him. Seems to be a lot of good players there, this year could be huge for the future.

Last edited:

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Rakell was never as good as Ryan at his best. His drop in numbers coincides with Getzlaf no longer being elite and as a result he’s being shuffled around the lineup more and it seems to be affecting his effort levels and consistency even more than normal.

Personally I think it’s time to move on. His effort level throughout the middle stage of the season when we needed him the most was pretty poor. Two years in a row it’s been after we are all but mathematically eliminated that he starts producing which has managed to salvage his season numbers somewhat.

Hit the nail on the head.

I remember a few years ago when they were still trying to get Rakell to play centre, and he went into a bit of a slump. Randy had said he had asked if he could play with Getzlaf again. Randy’s response had been “ well of course you do. Everybody would like to but we want you to drive your own line” or something along those lines. Shortly after that he was playing with Getzlaf again. He never has been able to carry his own line. He needs an elite linemate to be elite himself.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

This. I don’t care as much about the lack of production as the lack of giving a damn. That’s not what the kids need to be learning.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If we can get a mid first and a decent prospect, I say we for sure should trade him. Seems to be a lot of good players there, this year could be huge for the future.

If a mid first will turn out what he is, we're happy.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Rakell is a fairly recent 30 goal scorer in his prime whose loss in production coincided with the decline of the team. There is almost certainly a playoff-ish team that will take a chance on him hitting 30 again with them. As much as I like the guy he doesn't add that much value to the team at the moment, as he's not an Ovie, or a Selanne, or a Perry, that can/could drive plays entirely by themselves. He's a winger that relies a lot on his center and Getzlaf can't consistently carry the offence night in and night out anymore. I think it's best for Rakell and the team that he be traded. If he stays he likely won't hit 30 again unless one of the center prospects takes a big leap and becomes that Getzlaf replacement the team needs, and it's for the best of the franchise that the focus is on picks/prospects for the future.

Oct 18, 2011
I have been in favor of trading him for awhile. He doesn't fit our window maximize what you can get back while he has multiple years left on his current deal

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I think his personality comes across as not being as competitive as some fans would like. He seems ripe for a change. I would trade him he would fit nicely on a team looking for a role player he comes across as being a guy that might be happy to play in Sweden if it wasn't for the $ that he is making in the USA.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think his personality comes across as not being as competitive as some fans would like. He seems ripe for a change. I would trade him he would fit nicely on a team looking for a role player he comes across as being a guy that might be happy to play in Sweden if it wasn't for the $ that he is making in the USA.
Rakell is the Garret Anderson of the Anaheim Ducks. One of the few knocks on GA with the Anaheim Angels was that he was Lazy and made no effort to chase down balls in the OF and would only slowly jog to 1B on a possible infield hit instead of running. His personality was also like what ur saying too but it worked in MLB because its not a heavy cardio sport like NHL.
GA gets a pass for me because of his 3RBI base clearing double in game 7 of the 2002 WS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad