Proposal: Is R.O’Reilly to Toronto possible...

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Imo ROR is one piece of the puzzle. We need a heart and soul type player. We need a leader. It’s unfortunate he makes so much money.
Of course we need that #1/2 defensemen as well.

If we were to try and acquire ROR, either they would have to retain salary or we send salary back.

Something like...

Bracco/Kapanen
Gardiner
1st in 18
3rd in 18 (SJ)
2nd in 19

Yes it’s a future package, but it gives Buffalo an out and they can reset on their failed rebuild.

Ewww . ZERO need for centers. I ain't gutting our defense or sending wingers we will need after JVR leaves or picks for ROR. The guy held up colorado for money. He crashed his truck baked on pain killers. He would be eaten alive here in t.o. Hes a good second line center making 2 million a year too much. He brings NOTHING that Kadri doesn't. I can easily see ROR and Babcock butting heads. No thanks. Easy pass from any realistic leafs fan who understands our market, our coach, our GM and our current situation.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Nice player, worth every penny he gets. Makes 0 sense for either side. The last thing we need is to add another big money forward for future assets.

I also seriously doubt Buffalo wants to endlessly rebuild. Some may say he does not line up age wise but there is good reason to have a range in age, primes at different times etc. What he gives Buffalo is a superior 1-2 punch at C. Why throw that away for a prospect who may be a couple years away and a pick who will also probably not help them for a couple of years?

For the Leafs. If you look at our Cap situation we can afford to give Matthews his Eichel money and Marner and Nylander their 6 mil or under and add one big money player, that player logically should be a Defenseman, not another forward.

Lastly if we are trading prospects Timmy makes the least sense. Yes lots of teams like him but going forward we need him more than anything. Forwards is our position of strength and the obvious place we should be trading from.

This proposal does not seem very well thought out.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
the best or at worst second best player every year he’s been in buffalo

Ya he’s 4 years older than the core willing to dump for a prospect and a late first

You get differing opinions in the same way that some people liked the Star Wars prequels

It's not like the first sentence is much of an achievement.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I wouldn't trade KADRI for ror never mind any of the big three lmao. Kadri makes 3 million less and is arguably a better player. ZERO need for ROR. I think he would be great in calgary or out west somewhere. No one is trading an elc or bridge contract of an ELITE player for ROR.

You could argue it, but you wouldn't be close to being right.

Reactions: Zemgus26

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
The way Buffalo rebuilt, I don't see them going after picks or players that might take 2-4 years to be NHL ready. If they trade O'Reilly, I think it would be to make the team better now. Something around Kadri and Rielly for O'Reilly and McCabe. Would be something Buffalo might be interested in IMO

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The way Buffalo rebuilt, I don't see them going after picks or players that might take 2-4 years to be NHL ready. If they trade O'Reilly, I think it would be to make the team better now. Something around Kadri and Rielly for O'Reilly and McCabe. Would be something Buffalo might be interested in IMO
that's be terrible for the leafs. they give up the 2 most valuable pieces in the deal

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Career points per game

ROR: .636
Naz: .621

I'd say he's close. The numbers suggest Naz is better value for the dollar.

O'Reilly has a better PPG in every single one of the last 5 seasons. Then you take into account how he is the best faceoff man in the league, one of the best defensive forwards in the league and plays on a much worse team and accomplishes this better offensive production and no - it isn't that close, and definitely not "arguable' that Kadri is better.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Career points per game

ROR: .636
Naz: .621

I'd say he's close. The numbers suggest Naz is better value for the dollar.

ROR's numbers are probably skewed to be a bit low because he broke into the NHL as an 18 year old and put up low numbers

Since 12-13 (since Kadri started putting up respectable production)

ROR: .75
Kadri: .65

Last 3 seasons:

ROR: 0.77
Kadri: 0.64

Paints a much different story.

What really separates them, though, is that ROR is definitely one of the best defensive forwards in the league and probably the single best face-off man. Naz has a good two-way game but not at the same level.

I'm not saying there's a huge gulf between the players but I don't see how any argument could be made for Naz > ROR without looking at their contracts.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
his cap hit is 3 million less than o'reilly's and their production is about the same.

A gap of 0.13 p/gp over the last 3 years.

Translates to a 10 point difference over 82 games.

ROR also has the better defensive game and is better on face-offs.

I'd argue the 3M gap in their salaries is justified

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
without Them having to pony up one of Marner, Matthews or Nylander?

O’Reilly would be great, but let’s be honest, he makes 7.5m for 5 more years after this one. He would also hinder us signing Tavares (if that was at all possible).

We might be able to sign one of the big d (Doughty/Karlsson/McDonagh etc) if we get creative (and move out players like Kadri).

I’m a fan of his and think he’d be a great heart and soul type player and line up at our #2 C spot.

Please feel free to post realistic trade offers.

Cheers

Without one of Marner, Matthews or Nylander there's no realistic chance at getting O’Reilly. Of course Matthews is a no go.
Marner or Nylander would be a starting point. The Leafs would still have to add.

Reactions: Deam78

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
ROR's numbers are probably skewed to be a bit low because he broke into the NHL as an 18 year old and put up low numbers

Since 12-13 (since Kadri started putting up respectable production)

ROR: .75
Kadri: .65

Last 3 seasons:

ROR: 0.77
Kadri: 0.64

Paints a much different story.

What really separates them, though, is that ROR is definitely one of the best defensive forwards in the league and probably the single best face-off man. Naz has a good two-way game but not at the same level.

I'm not saying there's a huge gulf between the players but I don't see how any argument could be made for Naz > ROR without looking at their contracts.

Maybe so, but then you also have to factor Naz is trending up.

Last 3 years
ROR

Naz

Numbers are pretty close with Naz scoring more goals. ROR is better but in terms of value I think it's open for debate.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Last 3 years
ROR

Naz

Numbers are pretty close with Naz scoring more goals. ROR is better but in terms of value I think it's open for debate.

Calculate the p/gp instead of raw points and you'll see there's a sizable gap (I already did it a couple of posts up to save you the time)

If you tried to argue that Naz has more value than ROR, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (I personally disagree of course). I just took issue with the poster I originally quoted, who said he's arguably the better player without even looking at contracts. ROR might be having an up and down year, but so is Kadri.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
without Them having to pony up one of Marner, Matthews or Nylander?

O’Reilly would be great, but let’s be honest, he makes 7.5m for 5 more years after this one. He would also hinder us signing Tavares (if that was at all possible).

We might be able to sign one of the big d (Doughty/Karlsson/McDonagh etc) if we get creative (and move out players like Kadri).

I’m a fan of his and think he’d be a great heart and soul type player and line up at our #2 C spot.

Please feel free to post realistic trade offers.

Cheers

LMAO. C'mon, Man. Come back to earth.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Calculate the p/gp instead of raw points and you'll see there's a sizable gap (I already did it a couple of posts up to save you the time)

If you tried to argue that Naz has more value than ROR, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (I personally disagree of course). I just took issue with the poster I originally quoted, who said he's arguably the better player without even looking at contracts. ROR might be having an up and down year, but so is Kadri.

Nah Naz isn't better but it's not a huge gap either if he keeps up his current level of play. ROR is more proven though.

Reactions: Snippit

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Firstly...if you think Matthews is going anywhere..you need to stop right there.

From a pt production vs age stand point...2 of your mentioned players have more than him and Marner is right there. Now Ryan isnt an old man and to be sure huge upgrade on Bozak but no way we incl any of our 3 core guys.

Something around Bozak, Gardiner and say Leivo or Kasper/ pick does it.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Id prefer Ryan any day..as a leaf fan. NAZ has come a long way to ROR is a beast, hes fiesty and offensive prowess I feel would be better depending where you put him.

I never thought about it till I saw this post but ROR is exactly what we need to give us that center depth. Biggest issue is his contract 7.5 for 5 or 6 more seasons. Do we have enough to get him and run at Doughty in the offseason..possibly but doubtful

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The trouble with trading an pricey player for cheaper players, is the value in the overall team composition.

Wouldn't the Leafs by 10 times better with the following scenario. Signing a UFA, for 7.5 m (ROR salary) and trading Nylander (for example).....for young assets or picks. A lot better for Leafs than ROR for Nylander.

Leafs aren't winning the Cup in next two years. No use swinging for fences for ROR or OEL or McDonagh or Doughty and trading young assets for them.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Last 3 years
ROR

Naz

Trending up or had an outlier season?

But really Reilly is the only guy moving the needle on ROR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad